Confirmed with Link: Karlsson(1.5 retained), Hamaliuk, 2026 3rd for Granlund, Hoffman, Rutta and Pens 2024 1st(top-10 protected)

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I'd wager that Megna plays far more games in the NHL than Cagnoni ever does though.
That's probably true, but Megna had zero upside - he was forever doomed to be a #7-8 depth defenseman - whereas Cagnoni has upside that he realistically can reach, even if the odds are against it.

I'd trade an easily-replacable depth guy with no real future for a decent lottery ticket just about anytime.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
It would imply the Sharks are no worse than 2nd overall. The Pens could move up winning the 2nd pick with a different team (Chicago) winning 1st overall.

"A team can only jump ten spots, so only the top 11 teams are eligible for the 1st pick. If a team in the 12-16 range wins the first drawing, the first pick will be awarded to the worst team. The 12-16 seed team that won the first drawing is also locked into their new position."

So yes, if the Pens are not at 14th, that means that the Sharks get to pick no worse than 2OA. But the Pens at 14th can only move up to the highest pick of 4OA.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Let's be honest, most people on this board have complained about every single move Grier has made from drafting Bystedt to the Burns and Kunin trades to the Meier return to not retaining more on Karlsson to the Hertl trade.
That's because those deals aren't beyond reproach. Bystedt hasn't done anything yet along with Lund and Havelid to celebrate. Granted, the move was good from a value perspective but value doesn't mean anything unless you hit paydirt. The Burns trade also is unlikely to return us anything meaningful for the rebuild. At this stage, we moved Burns, a 4th, and a 5th to have Svoboda, Thompson, and Tampa's 3rd this year. None of that looks promising. The Kunin deal is still not an ideal use of a 3rd round pick either. The Meier deal is a homerun to me but the only piece doing anything meaningful at this point is Zetterlund. Until someone like Mukhamadullin, Musty, and the 2nd they have this year make something of themselves, it's still got high bust potential. Same for Hertl and same for Karlsson. I understand you feel those deals are great regardless of the return for cap purposes but then for that to have merit depends on what is done with that cap space. We'll get a look at it this offseason with plenty of space to use but that can go sideways too if none of the options on the trade or free agency market are any good.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
That's because those deals aren't beyond reproach. Bystedt hasn't done anything yet along with Lund and Havelid to celebrate. Granted, the move was good from a value perspective but value doesn't mean anything unless you hit paydirt. The Burns trade also is unlikely to return us anything meaningful for the rebuild. At this stage, we moved Burns, a 4th, and a 5th to have Svoboda, Thompson, and Tampa's 3rd this year. None of that looks promising. The Kunin deal is still not an ideal use of a 3rd round pick either. The Meier deal is a homerun to me but the only piece doing anything meaningful at this point is Zetterlund. Until someone like Mukhamadullin, Musty, and the 2nd they have this year make something of themselves, it's still got high bust potential. Same for Hertl and same for Karlsson. I understand you feel those deals are great regardless of the return for cap purposes but then for that to have merit depends on what is done with that cap space. We'll get a look at it this offseason with plenty of space to use but that can go sideways too if none of the options on the trade or free agency market are any good.
Given his track record of cap use he’ll likely waste it on some 3/4 line grit players though I’d like to see him take the coyotes approach of taking on bad contracts for picks and prospects

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
If Mike Grier was even allowed to make the trade down for Bystedt we have much deeper organizational problems

You don't let a GM who's been on the job for 2 days run your draft unless you are horrifically mismanaged and dysfunctional, which, well maybe

I don't give Mike any credit or any blame for any decisions we made at the 2022 draft, that was on the scouting department, for all intents and purposes his tenure began in the ensuing free agency period

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
I hope this season shines a bigger light onto just how nuts his season last year was
Yeah, (this isn't calling anyone out) but that's why it was crazy to me people saying we didn't have to trade him yet. "He would build value as years are knocked off his contract" or "we can move him later"

Moving him was the top priority - getting back the value we did was just a bonus.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Yep GMMG and Quinn (and EK65) performed a masterclass in resurrection and inflation of his value last year and were able to offload him for minimal retention and some assets in return. Pretty damn impressive
And on the other side, you have Pittsburgh acquiring Granlund at the deadline and crushing his value in a couple of months so badly he had to be a cap dump.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
I hope this season shines a bigger light onto just how nuts his season last year was
IMO this season shines a light on the fact it wasn't a fluke. His xGF numbers were still sky high this year.

And on the other side, you have Pittsburgh acquiring Granlund at the deadline and crushing his value in a couple of months so badly he had to be a cap dump.
they seem to have serious coaching issues

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad