Player Discussion Karl Alzner - Is he still here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Agreed on OTT. They still would likely want a pick to take him.

It also might be a good move for Alzner. The Sens have Mike Reilly and Andreas Englund as their bottom 4 LD. Alzner might actually be good enough to stay on their roster.

they have a ton of picks this year but maybe MB can entice them with a pick in '21. They are loaded with top picks in both '20 and '21 but after the 2nd round in '21 they have only 5 picks so maybe something could be worked out.

I don't mind him as a 3rd pairing D in Laval but we might need all the cap space we can get next summer.

How intrested Alzner will be playing another full season in Laval ? Of course, 4M $ is a good incentive, but....

5M, he already got 1.5M for next year, he gets 1.5M on the season and then next season he gets 3.5M so with him and his wife just having another kid a year or so ago, i don't see him just walking away from 5M bucks.

I wouldn't buy him out.
It's not the Habs fault if he sucks ass.
If he wants to quit, he just have to resiliate his contract. If he wants to get paid, go to Laval (unless he become somehow better than what we have here)

The only reason to buy him out is that next year we could need the cap space if they plan on re-signing Gallagher, Tatar, Danault, Armia plus Kotka gets his raise and whatever money they spend they need to keep some for the next summer when Suzuki will get a big raise most likely. So in a flat cap world, that's a problem to consider.

Keep him around until next year, he's depth in case of injury. They have the cap space and will save about 1.5 mil burying him in the minors. He will pass by waivers when he gets demoted after a call up but chances he gets picked are slim to none. Worst case, some team grabs him for free and he becomes their problem. If he doesn't report to Laval, the contract gets terminated and it's no ones problem.

If they re-sign Ouellet we would be knee deep in D's

Weber
Petry
Chia
Edmundson
Romanov
Mete
Juulsen
Kulak
Ouellet
Fleury
Brook
Olofsson
Alzner
Leskinen

Schueneman
Halbert
Bisson

plus they could put Fairbrother in Laval over being an overager in the dub.

Reactions: Canadienna

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
they have a ton of picks this year but maybe MB can entice them with a pick in '21. They are loaded with top picks in both '20 and '21 but after the 2nd round in '21 they have only 5 picks so maybe something could be worked out.

I don't mind him as a 3rd pairing D in Laval but we might need all the cap space we can get next summer.

5M, he already got 1.5M for next year, he gets 1.5M on the season and then next season he gets 3.5M so with him and his wife just having another kid a year or so ago, i don't see him just walking away from 5M bucks.

The only reason to buy him out is that next year we could need the cap space if they plan on re-signing Gallagher, Tatar, Danault, Armia plus Kotka gets his raise and whatever money they spend they need to keep some for the next summer when Suzuki will get a big raise most likely. So in a flat cap world, that's a problem to consider.

If they re-sign Ouellet we would be knee deep in D's

Weber
Petry
Chia
Edmundson
Romanov
Mete
Juulsen
Kulak
Ouellet
Fleury
Brook
Olofsson
Alzner
Leskinen

Schueneman
Halbert
Bisson

plus they could put Fairbrother in Laval over being an overager in the dub.

I think we've all seen too much of Ouellet already. I hope Dumb Dumb doesn't give him another 2 way deal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Offer him a coaching job in AHL after his NHL career. Maybe he decides to retire and we can pay him another way where it's not affecting our cap? Worth a shot

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Aha, I misread the different posters. Yes I agree with you. But his current salary would put him at the level of a veteran Stanley-Cup winning coach, in terms of annual salary! It might be seen as cap circumvention.

It's unlikely to work but you could offer a 4 year contract spreading the money out. If Molson is OK with it, overpaying him as a AHL coach vs taking up our cap space is good use of money advantage. Just an idea and they probably don't do it.

What are Alzner's retirement plans? Coaching or sitting on his ass?

Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Oh crap I thought we only had until the end of 2021... but its 2022? Is Alzner the worst contract in the past X years, or even in the history of the league?

It's "only" $4.6M of cap space, but the guy only played one full season with us

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh crap I thought we only had until the end of 2021... but its 2022? Is Alzner the worst contract in the past X years, or even in the history of the league?

It's "only" $4.6M of cap space, but the guy only played one full season with us

Alzner's contract is more buy out friendly vs others like Lucic and Eriksson. Nothing to brag about but we probably don't buy him out until next season. The 5 year term was dumb! Bergevin then learned and signed Chiarot to 3 and Edmundson to 4. Middle of the line-up guys should be 3 years max but Edmundson probably wouldn't sign.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Alzner's contract is more buy out friendly vs others like Lucic and Eriksson. Nothing to brag about but we probably don't buy him out until next season. The 5 year term was dumb! Bergevin then learned and signed Chiarot to 3 and Edmundson to 4. Middle of the line-up guys should be 3 years max but Edmundson probably wouldn't sign.

Good point with the buy out friendly.
Moot observation on my part but both these guys are still playing at the NHL level (maybe the teams don't want to bury them in minors?)

I know the money is a good "consolation prize", but those contracts makes me feel bad for all parties involved lol.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Good point with the buy out friendly.
Moot observation on my part but both these guys are still playing at the NHL level (maybe the teams don't want to bury them in minors?)

I know the money is a good "consolation prize", but those contracts makes me feel bad for all parties involved lol.

He has not hurt our cap yet but maybe it's starting to show now this off season.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
He has not hurt our cap yet but maybe it's starting to show now this off season.

We'll see. The off season is just starting and Montreal rarely attracts top UFA, so MB might be more on the lookout for trades?

Next offseason there's gonna be a lot to be done, it's gonna be a pivotal point for the franchise going forward (the next 5-10 years). If we let go of Allen + Tatar, that's $9M off the books. Is that enough to resign everyone else, and proceed to add anyone we want? Then Alzner doesn't need to be bought out, but I don't understand 100% how guying out works, so if it saves real money to Molson maybe they do it anyway?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We'll see. The off season is just starting and Montreal rarely attracts top UFA, so MB might be more on the lookout for trades?

Next offseason there's gonna be a lot to be done, it's gonna be a pivotal point for the franchise going forward (the next 5-10 years). If we let go of Allen + Tatar, that's $9M off the books. Is that enough to resign everyone else, and proceed to add anyone we want? Then Alzner doesn't need to be bought out, but I don't understand 100% how guying out works, so if it saves real money to Molson maybe they do it anyway?

Alzner will be bought out next year. That I am sure of

Reactions: DAChampion and abo9

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hopefully we have a new GM who will take care of that..........

i don't see that happening, money molson would have to pay 2 GMs and maybe 2 coaches if the new gm wants to hire his guy. can't see money bags doing that although he since he announced that up to 8 year rebuild is already over maybe MB will be on thin ice if we suck next year.

Reactions: DAChampion

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
upload_2020-9-30_17-1-35.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad