Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If they buy him out this year:

2020-21: $666K cap savings
2021-22: $2.6M cap savings
2022-23: $833K counting up against the cap
2023-24: $833K counting up against the cap

If they hold onto him this year and buy him out next year:

2020-21: $1.075M cap savings if he is sent to Laval (counts for $4.625M if he plays in Montreal at some point).
2021-22: $2.3M cap savings
2022-23: $1.16M counting against the cap

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
If they buy him out this year:

2020-21: $666K cap savings
2021-22: $2.6M cap savings
2022-23: $833K counting up against the cap
2023-24: $833K counting up against the cap

If they hold onto him this year and buy him out next year:

2020-21: $1.075M cap savings if he is sent to Laval (counts for $4.625M if he plays in Montreal at some point).
2021-22: $2.3M cap savings
2022-23: $1.16M counting against the cap
Another year in the A for Uncle Karl

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016

I personally think its better to buy him out this year as we can take the hit this year and we have more cap room next year where we need it .

The extra year with a 800k cap hit I guess could be a problem but I think its worth it to get more space overall after this year .

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Next year we’ll need every single cent in savings.

I would be tempted to put him out to pasture right away... or just strongly suggest retirement.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007

He stabilizes the D in Laval and serves as a nice insurance policy if we get into injury trouble and need a call-up at some point. He might have got 15 NHL games this year after the deadline had COVID not shut down the season.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
He stabilizes the D in Laval and serves as a nice insurance policy if we get into injury trouble and need a call-up at some point. He might have got 15 NHL games this year after the deadline had COVID not shut down the season.

He stabilizes jacks**t. He's bad even for the AHL. Brook only started playing better once he was freed from the Alzner anchor and started playing with Olofsson.

I think the fact they gave his #27 to Romanov shows he's done with the org. We know Berg is more worried about next season's cap than this season's. Cut him loose to save 300K on the cap next season.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Bobby Ryan to be bought out.
Alzner won’t be because cap hit this year will be $4 mil. Habs rather send him down to have that cap room.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I can't see him getting bought out, but I can potentially see him being traded along with a pick to one of the cheaper teams trying to get above the cap floor.

I am not sure when his signing bonus would be due now, but if the Habs paid his signing bonus he would only be owed $5M total over the next two years in actual cash while having a cap hit of $4.625M.. that is the type of contract Melnyk loves.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I can't see him getting bought out, but I can potentially see him being traded along with a pick to one of the cheaper teams trying to get above the cap floor.

I am not sure when his signing bonus would be due now, but if the Habs paid his signing bonus he would only be owed $5M total over the next two years in actual cash while having a cap hit of $4.625M.. that is the type of contract Melnyk loves.

it's possible, from what I understand his signing bonus has been paid already. It's 1.5M so he's now owed 5M over 2 years (1.5M/3.5M)

The one team could perhaps be interested in the sens, at a 4.625 cap hit, they do save 3.125M next season and then 1.125M the following season in actual dollars.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
it's possible, from what I understand his signing bonus has been paid already. It's 1.5M so he's now owed 5M over 2 years (1.5M/3.5M)

The one team could perhaps be interested in the sens, at a 4.625 cap hit, they do save 3.125M next season and then 1.125M the following season in actual dollars.

Agreed on OTT. They still would likely want a pick to take him.

It also might be a good move for Alzner. The Sens have Mike Reilly and Andreas Englund as their bottom 4 LD. Alzner might actually be good enough to stay on their roster.

Jul 6, 2016
How intrested Alzner will be playing another full season in Laval ? Of course, 4M $ is a good incentive, but....

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
How intrested Alzner will be playing another full season in Laval ? Of course, 4M $ is a good incentive, but....
Of course he will be willing to play in the AHL this entire season.

He was healthy scratch the entire playoff and got called to get a homerun deal in Montreal. He for sure gonna play that contract that fell from the sky.
I still think he's easily tradeable into a team like Detroit/Ottawa for a 2nd + a 3rd.

Unless he go Robidas Island , But it's hard to go on Robidas Island when you are not playing hockey.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Of course he will be willing to play in the AHL this entire season.

He was healthy scratch the entire playoff and got called to get a homerun deal in Montreal. He for sure gonna play that contract that fell from the sky.

This is why I typically don't like the player complaining or asking for a trade/buyout in these situations. If Alzner really wants to play in the NHL and thinks another team would take him up, then he could mutually agree with the team to terminate the contract. Obviously he prefers the money, as would most.

He's "stuck" in laval because he signed a deal for far more than he was worth, which is his right, but it comes with expectations and consequences. If he was on a 1m dollar deal he would have been moved already.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wonder how committed he is to staying in shape these days. He can’t be to inspired playing AHL after a NHL career. If he drops in play anymore, it’s ECHL! 50/50 chance he retires this season

Finding some team to take his contract on is low probability, very low!

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Clearly something bad has happened between Alzner and the Habs. Sounds like Alzner is willing to stick it to the Habs to pay him full money even if it means him playing in the AHL.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Clearly something bad has happened between Alzner and the Habs. Sounds like Alzner is willing to stick it to the Habs to pay him full money even if it means him playing in the AHL.

I don’t think it’s a matter of sticking it to them. He wants the money. Playing in the AHL isn’t bad, especially with the team now in Laval.

Reactions: DAChampion

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I wouldn't buy him out.
It's not the Habs fault if he sucks ass.
If he wants to quit, he just have to resiliate his contract. If he wants to get paid, go to Laval (unless he become somehow better than what we have here)

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I wouldn't buy him out.
It's not the Habs fault if he sucks ass.
If he wants to quit, he just have to resiliate his contract. If he wants to get paid, go to Laval (unless he become somehow better than what we have here)

It’s the Habs fault for signing him. He was in serious decline when they inked him.

He’s already shown he is willing to go to Laval and get paid, so that is hardly illuminating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad