Player Discussion Karl Alzner: He Left and They Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Other then Steve Mason when was the last Habs buyout, Scott Gomez?

Unless they need the cap space, I'll be surprised if he is bought out this off season.

Edit: The Habs did buyout the last year of P.A. Parenteau's contract in 2015.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsQC

Montreality

Jul 11, 2012
Montreal
Other then Steve Mason when was the last Habs buyout, Scott Gomez?

Unless they need the cap space, I'll be surprised if he is bought out this off season.

Edit: The Habs did buyout the last year of P.A. Parenteau's contract in 2015.
The difference between buying out a player with 1 year left and 2 years left is quite significant.

They can really only buy him out next year for it to make sense.

That money is locked for Gallagher and company anyway no point spending it this year if you have to give up assets or take 3M this year and 1. something for the next 3 in Alzner cap hit post Buyout.

Reactions: Chili

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
after he gets his signing bonus of 1.5M, he'll be owed 5M, with him just having a kid and knowing he likely doesn't have much time left in hockey, no way does he walk from that much money imo just as a guess of course.

I think they buy him out next month.

Alzner will finish his contract no doubt.

Reactions: 26Mats

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I thought that the Habs would wait one more year before buying Alzner out. I now think it will be done this off-season. If they do, the Habs will save $666K this year and $2.6M next year. And then he will count for $833K for the following 2 seasons.

But the little savings this year and the bigger savings next year with the flat cap may be necessary space.

Reactions: Archijerej

WG

Sep 9, 2008
I thought that the Habs would wait one more year before buying Alzner out. I now think it will be done this off-season. If they do, the Habs will save $666K this year and $2.6M next year. And then he will count for $833K for the following 2 seasons.

But the little savings this year and the bigger savings next year with the flat cap may be necessary space.
There isn't even a savings this year. If they don't buy him out, he goes to Laval and you get 1M in cap relief for sending him down. It actually helps the cap to keep him,and by waiting a year to buy him out

It's probably a pipe dream but I always thought there was a small chance he could be traded. After his signing bonus is paid he's owed 5M in cash over two seasons. Maybe he could be traded at 50% retention to a team that isn't cap crunched and needs a body for their D. His salary to the new team would be 2 years @ 1.25M per which is the going rate for 6/7D. In that scenario, Montreal's cap hit is 2.3M x 2 years and then done.

This is as good a place as any to bring back Bergevin's disastrous Melnick interview from 2018, you know, the one where he compared Alzner to Zdeno Chara. So many gems from this one.

Bergevin: Our attitude was wrong from day one

Koivu777

Feb 26, 2012
I wouldn't buy him out. Why not let the agonizing contract finish and then you're free. I wouldn't want it on the books for another 4yrs even if its a small cap hit.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wouldn't buy him out. Why not let the agonizing contract finish and then you're free. I wouldn't want it on the books for another 4yrs even if its a small cap hit.

because it gives you over 2.6M in cap space next off-season when you need it the most. Also there's not really room for him in Laval especially if they opt to sign Fairbrother which I could see them doing. We are getting hit this year no matter what so it's about doing it now to help us next year and hope that in year 4 the cap finally goes up again or you could buy him out next year and just have Fairbrother play in the dub as an overager but we would save only around 1.2M for when we need it next summer.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There isn't even a savings this year. If they don't buy him out, he goes to Laval and you get 1M in cap relief for sending him down. It actually helps the cap to keep him,and by waiting a year to buy him out

It's probably a pipe dream but I always thought there was a small chance he could be traded. After his signing bonus is paid he's owed 5M in cash over two seasons. Maybe he could be traded at 50% retention to a team that isn't cap crunched and needs a body for their D. His salary to the new team would be 2 years @ 1.25M per which is the going rate for 6/7D. In that scenario, Montreal's cap hit is 2.3M x 2 years and then done.

This is as good a place as any to bring back Bergevin's disastrous Melnick interview from 2018, you know, the one where he compared Alzner to Zdeno Chara. So many gems from this one.

Bergevin: Our attitude was wrong from day one

Ah, Marc Bergevin. The man who publicly declared he thought Alzner would still be good in the faster NHL because future Hall of Famer Chara was although losing speed still good defensively in the NHL.

The man who publicly said it was ok we were losing LD's Markov, Sergachev, and Emelin because we had Lernout in the system.

The man who publicly said it's ok that Byron is another small player in our lineup because you win with guys like Paulie Byron. Marc, what exactly did Byron help us win this postseason when he was constantly getting knocked off the puck and shanking chances??

You can't make this stuff up.

Reactions: montreal and BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Ah, Marc Bergevin. The man who publicly declared he thought Alzner would still be good in the faster NHL because future Hall of Famer Chara was although losing speed still good defensively in the NHL.

The man who publicly said it was ok we were losing LD's Markov, Sergachev, and Emelin because we had Lernout in the system.

The man who publicly said it's ok that Byron is another small player in our lineup because you win with guys like Paulie Byron. Marc, what exactly did Byron help us win this postseason when he was constantly getting knocked off the puck and shanking chances??

You can't make this stuff up.
The Legend of The Charismatic Mac Bergevin!!
The media in Montreal have gone soft, he should have been fired long ago...maybe if we give him 15-20 years on the job, he will finally become good at his job...no guarantee though.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

EiNk9wJXkAgBFAz

First buyout period starts Sept 25th. Will the Habs say goodbye to Alzner this year or next I wonder? Any other players around the NHL that you guy think may get bought out this year?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
First buyout period starts Sept 25th. Will the Habs say goodbye to Alzner this year or next I wonder? Any other players around the NHL that you guy think may get bought out this year?
Aaron Ward was saying players have shown interest in having the CBA updated to include one compliance buyout, to create cap space for teams and potentially create demand for players via UFAs etc.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I do think they buyout Alzner.
We don't save any cap space long term. We just have it spread out over 4 years instead of 2.

In fact our cap hit this year would be 3.9 million instead of 3.6 by putting him in the minors.

Next year it would be 2M instead of 2.2M if we bought him out next year, or 3.6M if we put him in the minors. The savings would be in two years, where the cap hit would be 800k, instead of 1.2M. But then in three years he counts another 800k against the cap, as opposed to nothing if we just buy him out next year or stick him in the minors this year and next.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We don't save any cap space long term. We just have it spread out over 4 years instead of 2.

In fact our cap hit this year would be 3.9 million instead of 3.6 by putting him in the minors.

Next year it would be 2M instead of 2.2M if we bought him out next year, or 3.6M if we put him in the minors. The savings would be in two years, where the cap hit would be 800k, instead of 1.2M. But then in three years he counts another 800k against the cap, as opposed to nothing if we just buy him out next year or stick him in the minors this year and next.

there's a bunch of posts explaining all this in detail, they don't need to save the money this year, they need to save on cap next year, so I think they just do it now. We'll find out in a few days.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
there's a bunch of posts explaining all this in detail, they don't need to save the money this year, they need to save on cap next year, so I think they just do it now. We'll find out in a few weeks.

We only save 200k against the cap next year if we buy him out this year as opposed to next. It's in two years we save. His cap hit would be 800k instead of 1.2M.

That's why I don't see the rationale of buying him out now. But if someone knows a reason it would be better to buy him out now, I'd be interested to hear it

Honestly, the moment Romanov was given #27, I think it became clear Alzner isn't returning.

I just don't see the logic of buying him out now instead of just sending him to the minors. Next year I can see the logic. Not this year.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Sending Alzner to Laval does not save any money.

Option A, keep Alzner on the NHL roster as the 7/8D. Cap hit 4.6M.
Option B, send Alzner down, you get about 1M in relief but you then need a guy making about 1M to fill the roster spot (Juulsen, a Folin type, whatever). The combined cap hit to send Alzner down and then replace him is going to be about the same.
Alzner............the mistake that just keeps on giving. Still can't believe MB did not get fired after that miserable summer.
The buyout of Alzner will probably happen next year...hopefully the new GM will get to do that as his first order of business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad