Injury Report: Kari Lehtonen out w/ Concussion no timetable for return - Nilstorp recalled

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
They haven't needed to, they have room on the roster. They've also said they're taking it day to day, so maybe they're hopeful that they don't need a week, I don't know.
I read that Ruff has confirmed Kari has a concussion. Wouldn't that mean that there is a concussion protocol to follow that essentially eliminates the chance of him returning within a week?

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I would think 3-5 weeks at the soonest. My question is if it's 5+ weeks can or even should Dallas go back to him if Thomas is playing well and has us in the playoffs?

NiceGuyDrP

Nov 15, 2013
Ummm, not sure what this entails, but it looks like Kari is already back on the ice for optional skate this morning and taking shots.

pic.twitter.com/hpVuOZfZcS

Not exactly familiar with concussion protocols, but wouldn't this indicate that he might be back fairly soon?

MetalGodAOD*

That would indeed be a fairly good sign. As long as he's not feeling symptoms after working out.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Not exactly familiar with concussion protocols, but wouldn't this indicate that he might be back fairly soon?

Apparently, I had incorrectly thought that there is a mandatory minimum period before a concussed player can return to play but there isn't. A player must be symptom-free at rest and upon exertion. That's all. So I guess Kari could be back this week.

Link to NHL Protocol for Concussion for those that have the time and desire to read.

English stars fan

Jun 15, 2011
UK
Great news that Kari is back out on the ice. Maybe we dodged a serious bullet and it's nowhere near as bad as feared. Might explain why he hasn't been put on IR.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah the first step always seems to be the bike with concussions or concussion symptoms. If he's already on the ice, that would seem to indicate he's already a couple steps into recovery.

MetalGodAOD*

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 13m

Nill "Lehtonen is doing very well. He's practicing now and will do his baseline tests tomorrow. Hope to be back early next week"

Good sign.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That's perfect ... next week is a good week to get back in the swing of things with only Eastern teams in the Pens, Flyers, and Sens. Then we have both horses ready to go on a tough, key week against the Jets, Hawks, Preds, and Blues (two sets of back to backs).

NiceGuyDrP

Nov 15, 2013
That's perfect ... next week is a good week to get back in the swing of things with only Eastern teams in the Pens, Flyers, and Sens. Then we have both horses ready to go on a tough, key week against the Jets, Hawks, Preds, and Blues (two sets of back to backs).

During that key week against Central competition, would you figure we start Kari against the tougher competition (Hawks/Blues) and let Thomas pick up the scraps in between (Jets/Preds)? Or would it wiser to let Thomas play against big matchups to ensure that Kari is 100% healthy.

I guess it's a little far out to project these things, but I'm wondering if maybe Thomas will at least split the remaining starts with Kari, or is Kari still the #1 down the stretch (assuming he's back to 100%) with Thomas playing back-to-backs or when the schedule is confined?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
During that key week against Central competition, would you figure we start Kari against the tougher competition (Hawks/Blues) and let Thomas pick up the scraps in between (Jets/Preds)? Or would it wiser to let Thomas play against big matchups to ensure that Kari is 100% healthy.

I guess it's a little far out to project these things, but I'm wondering if maybe Thomas will at least split the remaining starts with Kari, or is Kari still the #1 down the stretch (assuming he's back to 100%) with Thomas playing back-to-backs or when the schedule is confined?

Piqued said recently that Ruff puts more emphasis on the #1 game regardless of the opponent, and that makes sense.

Problem is I don't know who he'd feel more comfortable with at this point. There's going to be adjustment coming back from any concussion. Kari is lucky that his isn't going to keep him at very long at all it seems which means the transition back should be much easier. Will Kari be 100% back to normal after just 1 or maybe 2 starts against the East next week? IDK. I hope so.

Personally, I go with what piqued mentioned here. Put all of your eggs in winning the first games at home against opponents that could mathematically still catch you. I believe that would be Kari who gives you the best shot. Then let Thomas, a guy who seems to thrive on a challenge, face two of the best teams on the 2nd night of a back to back with travel.

If you only get the 4 points in the first 2 games, that's still a successful week. If you get 1 or more points out of the other two games along with those 4 .... that's a big win.

NiceGuyDrP

Nov 15, 2013
Piqued said recently that Ruff puts more emphasis on the #1 game regardless of the opponent, and that makes sense.

Problem is I don't know who he'd feel more comfortable with at this point. There's going to be adjustment coming back from any concussion. Kari is lucky that his isn't going to keep him at very long at all it seems which means the transition back should be much easier. Will Kari be 100% back to normal after just 1 or maybe 2 starts against the East next week? IDK. I hope so.

Personally, I go with what piqued mentioned here. Put all of your eggs in winning the first games at home against opponents that could mathematically still catch you. I believe that would be Kari who gives you the best shot. Then let Thomas, a guy who seems to thrive on a challenge, face two of the best teams on the 2nd night of a back to back with travel.

If you only get the 4 points in the first 2 games, that's still a successful week. If you get 1 or more points out of the other two games along with those 4 .... that's a big win.

I think that definitely makes sense, me and my Fantasy team, would agree with that approach!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad