Injury Report: Kari Lehtonen out w/ Concussion no timetable for return - Nilstorp recalled

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia

Why the head shake? Better Nilstorp over Campbell, now Jack can be the #1 goalie in Cedar Park and get back into the groove of what has been an injury riddled season and hopefully be ready come AHL playoff time. He needs all the playing time he can get after missing so much of the season, sitting on the bench in Dallas isn't helping his development.

I don't expect Nilstorp to play anyway, unless Thomas gets hurt or Kari is out for the season and they want to give Tim a rest, which seem like worst case scenarios.

SouthEndXGF

Oct 26, 2013
Dallas, TX
Why the head shake? Better Nilstorp over Campbell, now Jack can be the #1 goalie in Cedar Park and get back into the groove of what has been an injury riddled season and hopefully be ready come AHL playoff time. He needs all the playing time he can get after missing so much of the season, sitting on the bench in Dallas isn't helping his development.

I don't expect Nilstorp to play anyway, unless Thomas gets hurt or Kari is out for the season and they want to give Tim a rest, which seem like worst case scenarios.

Not at all a Nilstorp fan - really more upset that Kari's hurt. I realize Nilstorp is the right backup to bring up, I just wish we weren't in this situation. Hopefully Kari recovers quickly.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
Not at all a Nilstorp fan - really more upset that Kari's hurt. I realize Nilstorp is the right backup to bring up, I just wish we weren't in this situation. Hopefully Kari recovers quickly.

Yep, the fact we even have to discuss who to call up is disheartening. Just have to hope Tim can hold down the fort until Kari returns, which is hopefully sooner rather than later.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
While it could be cool to see Jack make his mark in these all-too-important games.....I guess you go with the somewhat-known entity in Christopher Nilstorp....as unappetizing as that may be. :help:

jhr1986

Jul 2, 2012
DFWish
**** situation to be in, but no team goes through the season without some injury troubles. So glad to have Thomas right now though. I'm hoping since they're calling it day to day that it isn't too serious and we'll see Kari back in a week to ten days.

If that is the case I doubt Nilstorp gets a start - we know Ruff will play Thomas tomorrow, and I highly doubt he would start Nilstrop against the Blues. Then with two days off before Calgary he'd certainly play Thomas again. The playoff picture is looking better this year, we are actually holding down the 8th spot not chasing after it. Still, there aren't any games we can afford to throw away so I imagine we'll get to see plenty of Tim Thomas for the next handful of games.

Primetimey*

@StarsInsideEdge 32s

Lindy Ruff says concussion for Kari Lehtonen, no time table.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
@StarsInsideEdge 32s

Lindy Ruff says concussion for Kari Lehtonen, no time table.

Call me crazy, but isn't this more concerning they're admitting it's a concussion? With Seguin ... concussion symptoms. Most other teams around the league call it an upper body injury.

It seems when a team comes right out and is honest, more often than not it's a more serious issue.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Kari may be done for the rest of the regular season. Let that sink in.

How spectacular would it be for Timmy to take over and lead this team to the playoffs, though? Hate to lose Lehtonen, of course, but you couldn't ask for a better backup here.

<3 Nill.

starshockeyfan56

Aug 2, 2005
The Xcalibur
Kari may be done for the rest of the regular season. Let that sink in.

Yep, best to assume worst case. That really sucks for Kari but also shows the genius of getting Thomas. I can only hope that the fact Kari is "day to day" means there's a sliver of hope.

Tonight will be a good test for Thomas, and hopefully some extra motivation for the guys to come out and play strong.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
It's incredibly frustrating that our season has been derailed by some piece of **** 4th line nobody.

With Lehtonen carrying the load we were as good as in with the schedule we have to close out the season. I simply don't trust Thomas.. his play has taken a big step back this year in Florida from where it was previously in his career.

I just hope that whoever they call up can win a game or two for the Stars, they'll need every extra point the way things are now.

Highly touted 7th round pick that was part of a very dominant gopher team from 2011-2013. Hardly the 4th line typical "can't skate or score so he has to fight" type of deal. This is his rookie year and I'm sure he feels terrible about what happened.

I just stopped in to see how Kari was doing. Apparently not so well :( Hopefully he can recover well as concussions are a very serious and tricky situation. In the meantime, this is a HUGE opportunity for Thomas and Nilstorp! As a fan of a team that had a horrible goalie situation not too long ago (Backstrom abdomen, Harding MS) I know firsthand that players can take these opportunities and run away with them (Kuemper). Herb Brooks once said "great moments are born from great opportunity." Anyways I wish you guys the best with all that has happened recently, now go out there and win some hockey games! I want to see you guys in the playoffs!

Mods: If anyone finds this post offensive please remove as that is not my intention. Thank you.

haf

Mar 3, 2008
Highly touted 7th round pick that was part of a very dominant gopher team from 2011-2013. Hardly the 4th line typical "can't skate or score so he has to fight" type of deal. This is his rookie year and I'm sure he feels terrible about what happened.

I just stopped in to see how Kari was doing. Apparently not so well :( Hopefully he can recover well as concussions are a very serious and tricky situation. In the meantime, this is a HUGE opportunity for Thomas and Nilstorp! As a fan of a team that had a horrible goalie situation not too long ago (Backstrom abdomen, Harding MS) I know firsthand that players can take these opportunities and run away with them (Kuemper). Herb Brooks once said "great moments are born from great opportunity." Anyways I wish you guys the best with all that has happened recently, now go out there and win some hockey games! I want to see you guys in the playoffs!

Mods: If anyone finds this post offensive please remove as that is not my intention. Thank you.

I think the majority of fans here know that it was more of an inexperience/bad luck scenario than an intentional "matt cooke" kind of thing. I saw several regular Stars posters actually defending Haula on the main boards.

I think Matt Cooke's "incidental kneeing" from a "failed hip check" that seems to be his new thing got our hackles up more but then I suppose that's sort of his job description.

Thanks for the well wishes for Kari

*and here's hoping Harding continues to get better. Was really sorry to see him go down with MS of all things. He was definitely one of the better stories the first half. Kuemper/Harding would be formidable and Harding deserves a shot to win his job back for sure.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think the majority of fans here know that it was more of an inexperience/bad luck scenario than an intentional "matt cooke" kind of thing. I saw several regular Stars posters actually defending Haula on the main boards.

I think Matt Cooke's "incidental kneeing" from a "failed hip check" that seems to be his new thing got our hackles up more but then I suppose that's sort of his job description.

Thanks for the well wishes for Kari

*and here's hoping Harding continues to get better. Was really sorry to see him go down with MS of all things. He was definitely one of the better stories the first half. Kuemper/Harding would be formidable and Harding deserves a shot to win his job back for sure.

Matt Cooke sure has a knack for getting into situations that are pretty bad. I wouldn't have been surprised if he got a suspension from whatever the heck kind of hit he had (something between a knee and a failed hip check? No idea what he was trying to do.).

No problem.

It was actually reported by Russo (Wild's beat writer) today that Harding was skating today for the first time since he played on December 31st. Great news but he is still far from returning to the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad