News Article: Kane best American player per NHL.com writers

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I'm torn on Chelios. My head says Chelios is best American born player ... then my heart says he's not even the best #7 on the Hawks AND the 2nd greatest Chicago born player after Eddie O. His Red Wing stunt doesn't sit well with me.

Hence, I'll take the first American born player to win the Hart in modern day hockey.

Really?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I agree with clydesdale. Anytime there's a discussion of Kane, you've pretty much always take the anti-Kane stance. Most of those were Kane/Toews discussions in the past. And I think we all agree now that Kane has had the better career, and that gap widens with every passing season.

Oh, I still maintain that Toews was a better all-around and more impactful player than Kane up til 2015. And by now everybody is familiar with the particulars of their game and deployment, and the metrics I use to come to that conclusion. Toews' drop-off and Kane's success since then doesn't magically, retroactively change the past.

At this point, yeah, it seems clear that Kane is going to comfortably retire as the more accomplished, celebrated player between the two. Certainly in the NHL.

That doesn't really have much to do with my projection for Matthews though.

Reactions: ClydeLee and Sarava

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I don't really see it being some crazy projection to say that Matthews has a chance to eclipse Kane's career when all's said and done. It also takes nothing away from what Kane's accomplished and continues to accomplish and isn't a slight on him in the least. It's no guarantee and Matthews has a lot to do in the meantime, but it's hardly out of the realm of possibility.

Reactions: JaegerDice

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
One key difference is that Kane's accolades came in one season that statistically isn't likely to occur again. He had a huge spike in ish% and osh%, and even with the same linemates and deployment the next season, couldn't generate the same point production because his sh% and the sh% of the players he shared the ice with regressed to normal.

Looks like Kane debunked this.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Nah I think it is fact Thomas + Quick won the years before and writers didn't want to make it seem like it was becoming a G only award by giving to G 3 straight years
And they rose the standards. Both with higher up to .940sv. It wasn't gonna go to a .920 goalie like Ward nor did people want to give the .932 weak glove hand narrative goal

Kane still I feel had more to deserve it than people say. Oddly people were always saying he didnt score until vs the Kings but he was scoring in Detroit, just in losses

Crow

May 19, 2014
This season is significantly more impressive than his 2016 season.
Do you still think Austin Matthews is going to have the better career?

I ask because Kane is having a (another) career defining year. Meanwhile does anyone see Matthews having two years (well actually more) where he is the best player in hockey? Personally I don’t see it, but he is still very young.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Do you still think Austin Matthews is going to have the better career?

I ask because Kane is having a (another) career defining year. Meanwhile does anyone see Matthews having two years (well actually more) where he is the best player in hockey? Personally I don’t see it, but he is still very young.

Well obviously the more times Kane puts up ridiculous numbers, the more unlikely it is that Matthews matches him. I still think he can given how talented he is, and how good he's already been through his first years in the league.

The biggest issue for him seems to be health. He's yet to play 82 games.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I'll back JD on this, at least to some level. I don't think it's some outrageous idea to suggest he could have a better career than Kane. I wouldn't predict that outright, personally, but I wouldn't laugh at someone for suggesting it's possible. He has the talent for it.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'll back JD on this, at least to some level. I don't think it's some outrageous idea to suggest he could have a better career than Kane. I wouldn't predict that outright, personally, but I wouldn't laugh at someone for suggesting it's possible. He has the talent for it.
I agree as well, my comments have been towards people saying that right now Matthews is better than Kane and Wheeler which is absurd..still have a long way to go to see the level of consistency we need to see from AM34.

I will add this though- Matthews has entered the league at the right time. Players hitting over a ppg/over 90 points is becoming more and more common. When Kaner entered the league, 80 plus points was a pretty huge deal. What that means is Matthews over the next how many years (if the game continues to remain open like it is), will have better numbers by default. Once Kaner is out of the league, people will just look at stats to back up who is the better player and not really looking at the impact Kane had in this league during a low scoring era. Matthews might finish with 3-4 seasons of 100 points or more over Kane, it could happen. Over the next 5 years, Matthews might be hitting 110 points every year if healthy while Kane in his later years is at the 70-85 range..it is possible for Matthews to have more points than Kane by the time it is all said and done, and that is my point..it doesn't make him better but for those that will just look at stats vs stats AM34 might have the better stat line between the two.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Well obviously the more times Kane puts up ridiculous numbers, the more unlikely it is that Matthews matches him. I still think he can given how talented he is, and how good he's already been through his first years in the league.

The biggest issue for him seems to be health. He's yet to play 82 games.

He actually played 82 his rookie season: 16-17.

That said. Health issues are going to be a major factor. He has spent parts of the last two seasons injured, and he's only 20 and 21 in those seasons. He missed 20 games last year, and he'll have missed at least 14 this year. Kane has had a remarkably lucky run of health since entering the league. Only one significant injury in all that time. Matthews will have to have the same to come close to Kane, IMO. And so far, it's not looking good for him to be that healthy throughout his career, if the past couple seasons foreshadow his future.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
He actually played 82 his rookie season: 16-17.

That said. Health issues are going to be a major factor. He has spent parts of the last two seasons injured, and he's only 20 and 21 in those seasons. He missed 20 games last year, and he'll have missed at least 14 this year. Kane has had a remarkably lucky run of health since entering the league. Only one significant injury in all that time. Matthews will have to have the same to come close to Kane, IMO. And so far, it's not looking good for him to be that healthy throughout his career, if the past couple seasons foretell anything.

I feel this is overlooked outside of Chicago. Maybe even inside. For a smaller player who has the puck SO much, Kane has been remarkably durable. Granted, he is extremely smart and knows how to avoid contact a lot but he's taken his share of shots, especially cheap ones, and has only been injured for an extended stretch once (wasn't it an ankle against Detroit? High ankle sprain?) He's been incredibly healthy for a really, really long time in this league. It's really damn impressive.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I feel this is overlooked outside of Chicago. Maybe even inside. For a smaller player who has the puck SO much, Kane has been remarkably durable. Granted, he is extremely smart and knows how to avoid contact a lot but he's taken his share of shots, especially cheap ones, and has only been injured for an extended stretch once (wasn't it an ankle against Detroit? High ankle sprain?) He's been incredibly healthy for a really, really long time in this league. It's really damn impressive.

Kane broke his collarbone in 15 and came back for the playoffs.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Yep, for being the size he is, he has been unbelievably blessed with good health. A couple of freak accidents are basically all that has sidelined him for significant time. And with those injuries, he only missed 34 games over those two seasons. What you're talking about is the ankle sprain he suffered in 13-14 against St. Louis in another freak accident where a guy randomly fell on it.

He's basically never played less than 75% of his games in a season in 12 seasons. That's outstanding.
He'll be sitting on over 900 RS games played by the end of this season at 30 years old. By next season, he'll be close to 1000 RS games played. He also has 127 playoff games played. He has played over 1000 professional games at this point, already. With the way he plays the game, he has the potential to play in another 600-700, easily, IMO, and if all goes well, another decade in the NHL could put him up close to 2000 RS games played. I honestly don't see Auston Matthews playing in close to 2000 games by the time his career is over.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
How in the hell did I forget that? Wow.

:laugh:

I'm not sure. I just assumed you didn't mention it because it's the one major one that everyone remembers. Our favorite Q commentary about "fresh legs" came as a result of that injury. No Kane injury, no Vermette, no Vermette, no "fresh legs" or Cup, more than likely.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I try to never use “AINEC”, but it’s Kane AINEC this season. Matthews is in a tier below Kane and it’s a significant gap in my biased, Hawks fan eyes.

Edit: Whoops. Didn’t see this was a thread bump

Last edited:

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
Modano wasn’t even the best American born forward before Kane. No one would have taken modano over lafontaine before lafontaine’s injuries. Kane has definitely passed modano, and I think he’s passed lafontaine too. Vs Chelios, I’m biased because of the Detroit situation, but Kane is ahead of Chelios also. Chelios never was the best player in the league and holding on til he was an embarrassment at 48 doesn’t add anything to his legacy

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Modano wasn’t even the best American born forward before Kane. No one would have taken modano over lafontaine before lafontaine’s injuries. Kane has definitely passed modano, and I think he’s passed lafontaine too. Vs Chelios, I’m biased because of the Detroit situation, but Kane is ahead of Chelios also. Chelios never was the best player in the league and holding on til he was an embarrassment at 48 doesn’t add anything to his legacy
I am probably Lafontaine's biggest supporter on these boards, he was on par with the Yzerman and Sakic's of the world when healthy. He was far and away the MOST SKILLED American player up until now. Modano and Chelios were the BEST players ever for USA Hockey because of longevity and what they did as a total package. If Patty didn't get derailed by injuries he would be the BEST overall American player ever, the guy was simply amazing. from him being a 15/16 year old US kid heading up to play in the Q and not only produce better than Mario did there lol...the movie Youngblood is loosely based off of Lafontaine..Kane is right there with Patty L right now as for the most skilled player ever for the US...I think he will pass him up when it is said and done and be the greatest American player ever.

Reactions: Dividejoy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad