Speculation: Kane and Toews extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Projected sure. But projected and actually doing it are often completely different things. Going back to 3 years ago - the Hawks got a 'steal' in the draft when Mark McNeill fell to them and he was the #2 center of the future. So much for that projection, eh?

I didn't realize that McNeill has hit his plateau already.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
We are always paying more. It's usually 200-500K but it adds up fast. I really don't see these contracts setting any kind of bar for other stars. I almost want to say the next forward that makes 10.8M isn't in the league yet. You gotta do what it takes to keep them but plans aren't changing now. We're not going back to losing in the 1st round so something has got to give. Bowman will have to shine and most seem to expect him to. If you actually believe the Hawks are going to accept 2 years of mediocrity like after 2010, you're mistaken. Ticket prices are too high to sustain it.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I remember when 6.3mil was way too much and was an overpayment.

Looks like next year those deals will be a steal, just like the past 2 years.

Whatever deal is signed, it will be a steal down the road, but yeah, it would be nice to get a steal now. Be nice if Toews and Kane would realize anything over 9mil is terrible for Chicago.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I remember when 6.3mil was way too much and was an overpayment.

Looks like next year those deals will be a steal, just like the past 2 years.

Whatever deal is signed, it will be a steal down the road, but yeah, it would be nice to get a steal now. Be nice if Toews and Kane would realize anything over 9mil is terrible for Chicago.

Maybe you feel differently but I never though any contract we resigned anyone for under Bowman was an extreme overpayment until this possible 10.8M. It will not be a steal until they are in their 30's and that's assuming no decline.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Maybe you feel differently but I never though any contract we resigned anyone for under Bowman was an extreme overpayment until this possible 10.8M. It will not be a steal until they are in their 30's and that's assuming no decline.

A lot of people thought we could sign T & K for 5mil or so before they signed for 6.3. A lot of people thought Seabrook could sign for 5mil, and he went for 5.8. Bickell was definitely an overpayment, and a lot of people thought Oduya was overpayment, but not myself.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Crawford's $6 mil is a hell of an overpayment.

Yeah, really only the elite goalies should be getting big bucks. But you look around and there are so many goalies making 6M+. I thought, if anything, the prices would go down with the Hawks winning with cheap goalies and the overall flood of good ones around the world right now.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Crawford's $6 mil is a hell of an overpayment.

Not at all

Lesser goalies like Howard (5.2M) , Miller at (6M) and Smith (5.7M) show that

I wouldn't say a "hell" of an overpayment. But he should of got around what Howard got.

Why should he have gotten around what Howard got? He has proven to be more reliable then Howard and has cup (A cup run that should have seen him awarded Conn Smythe IMO)

EdzosCrayon

Apr 4, 2013
The amount of Sharp proposals on the trade board is going to be insane once these deals get signed. They already pop up daily just from us being 2 million (1.3 with TT in Rockford) over the cap.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If Toews/Kane get 10M + Saad at 4M and Bickell traded + Oduya/Leddy/Kruger gone

Saad-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Teravainen-Hossa
Morin-Shaw-Versteeg
Danault-Smith-Hartman
?

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-?
?-Johns
?

Crawford
Raanta

4.6M (72M cap) or 5.6M (73M cap) to fill out the rest of roster

With Kane/Toews at 10.8M , Saad at 4M , Bickell + Steeger traded and Oduya/Leddy/Kruger gone

Saad-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Teravainen-Hossa
Morin-Shaw-Hartman
Danault-Smith-McNeill
?

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-?
?-Johns
?

Crawford
Raanta

5.9M cap room with 72M cap or 6.9M cap room with 73M cap to fill out roster

Hawks aren't in bad shape at all. Bowman's hoarding of prospects in Rockford will be big for team going forward from 2015 and beyond

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Not at all

Lesser goalies like Howard (5.2M) , Miller at (6M) and Smith (5.7M) show that

Why should he have gotten around what Howard got? He has proven to be more reliable then Howard and has cup (A cup run that should have seen him awarded Conn Smythe IMO)

I think he's a little better than Howard, but not by much. I also think Howard is overpaid.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Bickell signed his deal when he was going to be a free agent in 2 weeks. quite different then a guy signing it a year in advance. Also RFA's cannot be mentioned with Free agents. Crawfords contract is about where it should be. Maybe $500K high but I would think he is Viewed as a top 10 goalie still in his prime through his whole contract so its really close to where it should be. Hammer's contract was a steal IMO. We all hated Bolligs contract and we got a late 3rd for him. We should do as many contracts as possible this off season because with the cap going up $5-6 Mil and the floor going up $4-5 mil the spending next year is even going to be bigger.

Nicklin3011*

Shaw is a steal. Bickell is overpaid by about 1.5 and Crawford is overpaid by about 2 million. Woulda been great to actually pay Crow the 4 he deserved.

But if the local media is right and Kane and Toews take 9.5 they can actually do some things. They could sign a big UFA like Bobby Ryan or Marc Staal for about 6 million or take that 6 --split it up get a depth forward and quality dman to use or even trade Bickell to free up even more. That is only with the cap at the min of 74k which could be even higher.

B.Ryan (6)-Toews (9.5)- Kane (9.5)
Saad (4.1)-Teravainen (894k)-Hossa (5.275)
Shaw (2)- McNeil (863k)- Bickell (4) (Or trade Bickell add a UFA dman)
Morin (800k)-Kruger(1.325)- Smith (1.5)

Nordstrom (616k)

Seabrook (5.8)-Keith (5.538)
Hjalmarsson (4.1)-LEddy (2.7)
Clendenning (742k)-Johns (800k)

Runblad (785k

Crawford (6)
Raanta (750k

If they take a cap hit of something around 10.8 the team is not screwed we just wont have Sharp or Bickell and little depth for a year. Would need to hope for no injuries and let the young guys play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad