Confirmed with Link: Kane and Toews Extended (8 Years, $10.5M AAV)

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
15 years ago there was no cap. How much a player got didn't impact on what was left for others. That's a huge difference.

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
15 years ago there was no cap. How much a player got didn't impact on what was left for others. That's a hug difference.

1398568288324.jpg

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Eh I don't think the Hawks are talking up the discount angle. That's just the agent's angle as he tries to push his clients in the future to go even higher than Toews and Kane rather than let other GMs see these contracts as the ceiling.

Pretty sure the Hawks marketing spin on all of this is "8 more years" which reminds me of like a political campaign re-election party or something.

Need to correct myself after listening to the barrage of Hawks PR the last 24 hours. They really are going with the Toews and Kane gave the Hawks a hometown discount angle.

Apparently it is not enough to just be glad that Toews and Kane are good hockey players for the Hawks, but us Hawks fans have to believe they're altruistic too? Huh?

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
Its all about maximizing their marketing value. Its nice if they look like they love the fans as much as the fans love them. They do love the fans. Its just that they love money a little more.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Hey guys, my friend from school's birthday is today, and she's a huge Hawks fan from Chicago.

I suck at Photoshop and the like--could one of you guys do an easy photoshop of Patty Kane with a speech bubble saying "happy birthday" for me to post on her fb wall? I'd appreciate it :)

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I have a couple years down the road we're gonna look back and think this was a great deal. I'm still happy with this deal. So glad we have these guys for as long as we do, and I trust Stan to make the right moves and keep this team as a competitor year after year. Some of you have no confidence. Our young guys are gonna have to step up, but that's what happens with championship caliber teams. I'm happy with where we stand and think we have many more wins and possibly one or a couple more cups to come.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Hey guys, my friend from school's birthday is today, and she's a huge Hawks fan from Chicago.

I suck at Photoshop and the like--could one of you guys do an easy photoshop of Patty Kane with a speech bubble saying "happy birthday" for me to post on her fb wall? I'd appreciate it :)

I feel like a d*** just reading this now. I could've easily done it myself, but was mostly away from HF for this past weekend. Sorry for no one seemingly helping, and I hope she had a lovely B-day. :)

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
Cap is suppose to be 76m in 2015-16

The NHL would have to increase league revenue by roughly 600 million this year. No chance of that.

I think this will be compelling to watch. The league gets a small bump from the Canadian TV deal and that's it. Revenue growth with every tv deal of consequence national, local, international is locked for a long time.

The NHL won't be selling merchandise and tickets to keep the 200-300 mil jumps in league revenue going.

I'd have to guess they expand and charge huge fees to push the cap. It would be bad for the NHL as a whole to have the cap stagnate below 75 mil the next 3-4 years

frivolousz21

May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
I can't see how that is accurate
The old tv deal was worth roughly half of the new one. Take out 100 mil and there is not that much left to grow the cap 5 million requires somewhere between 400 and 500 million in new revenue. The left over TV money can't even cover half if that.

It looks like Mirtle is forgetting that you have to subtract the old tv deal from the new one to start with.

Hopefully the Canadian dollar doesn't tank more over the next couple of years. the value of the tv deal it self will drop unless the reported numbers are in USD but I don't see why they would be.

Last edited:

frivolousz21

May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
After reading thru this thread I am very surprised to so many Hawks fans upset with the contracts. I figured the kool-aid would be all over the place here. No offense, it's just the nature of fandom.

I have to side with the fans who are worried. I am very fascinated to see how this plays out. Many of the fans on the opposite side have this notion that the cap is going up to 74-75 million a 5-6 million increase that needs roughly 500 million in new revenue to happen at least.

The Canadian tv deal will throw about 200 million in new revenue in when you subtract the amount from last year and the old tv deal.

That alone would put the cap around 71.5-72 million.

The big issue is that many folks expect the cap in 2016-17 to be 76-77 million which requires about 750-800 million in additional revenue from right now.

Without expansion the NHL will have to come into a serious financial windfall to make that happen. Maybe expand to 30-40 out door games?

Maybe revamp the entire leagues jerseys again?

I can't speak for the blues but how about you guys take a couple draft picks and we take Sharp :)

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
After reading thru this thread I am very surprised to so many Hawks fans upset with the contracts. I figured the kool-aid would be all over the place here. No offense, it's just the nature of fandom.

I have to side with the fans who are worried. I am very fascinated to see how this plays out. Many of the fans on the opposite side have this notion that the cap is going up to 74-75 million a 5-6 million increase that needs roughly 500 million in new revenue to happen at least.

The Canadian tv deal will throw about 200 million in new revenue in when you subtract the amount from last year and the old tv deal.

The big issue is that many folks expect the cap in 2016-17 to be 76-77 million which requires about 750-800 million in additional revenue from right now.

Without expansion the NHL will have to come into a serious financial windfall to make that happen. Maybe expand to 30-40 out door games?

I can't speak for the blues but how about you guys take a couple draft picks and we take Sharp :)

But the fact is we signed two superstars to deals that will probably look very good in the best couple years with the rising salary cap, no matter how much it rises.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007

16-17 cap should be around $80

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Let's not try to prognosticate where the cap will be that far in advance. Heck, it's already about a million less next year than what many were expecting a mere six months ago thanks to the declining Canadian dollar.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I am happy both guys are here for the next 8 years, but if we do not win another cup during that span, I will look no further then these signings as it will have impact on bringing in talent to help put us over...

frivolousz21

May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
16-17 cap should be around $80

That requires at least 1 billion in additional revenue in less than two seasons from now.

Why can't there just be a legit discussion on the topic.

I bet if I made a username saying I was from Finland and said I was a Oilers fan and found the Chicago Cap situation fascinating then maybe a legit discussion could be had instead of resorting to making the topic a joke to pacify whatever defensive response you get by a divisional rival fan talking about this subject.

The last thing I want to see is Chicago suck that would be bad for the growth of the NHL.

Never the less when two players are making around 30% of one teams cap next season it's a quite fascinating thing to follow.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
That requires at least 1 billion in additional revenue in less than two seasons from now.

I bet if I made a username saying I was from Finland and said I was a Oilers fan and found the Chicago Cap situation fascinating then maybe a legit discussion could be had instead of resorting to making the topic a joke to pacify whatever defensive response you get by a divisional rival fan talking about this subject.

The last thing I want to see is Chicago suck that would be bad for the growth of the NHL.

Never the less when two players are making around 30% of one teams cap next season it's a quite fascinating thing to follow.

This isn't new for the Hawks. Hawks won the cup in 09-10 and Campbell and Huet taking up more than 20% of the cap. At least now the big cap hits are with the best players.

Glad to see a rival fan fascinated. If you pay attention close enough you'll see the magic Bowman has been able to work each year. You don't have to worry about Chicago sucking.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007

Sorry but you are wrong. It would only take $600 mil to get to $80 mil cap. An HRR of $4.2 bil would get to a $80.2 cap. Since HRR was $3.6 for this year, you can do the 2nd grade math.

So over the next 2 years HRR has to grow by an average of 8% over 2 years. Average growth has been 7% and then throw in the new Canadian TV deal and you get 8%.

I will have a serious discussion as soon as you as you get your numbers straight.

frivolousz21

May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
My apologies thanks for not being a d-bag about it.

I could care less if the Hawks win or lose personally.

But the Hawks are a driving force behind growing hockey in the United States and more importantly the mid-west.

Chicago even helps grow hockey in St. Louis by being so good.

I care a lot more about that then petty fandom childish ******** [mod]

The only people I have actually see say the Hawks are going to be bad because of this is your own fans.

To act like the Hawks are not currently entering into the most fascinating cap situation in the league would be off.

It's fascinating to me the same way Detroits handling of the end of their dynasty is.

The same way the internal politics of the Colorado Avalanche are. You get on other teams fans as if they have motive to hold the opinion a large share of your own fans do. The same way a part of the Detroit fan base gets crucified(less and less now) for being on the fire Holland bandwagon. The same way a part of the Colorado fans get trashed for saying the club is cheap. Blues fans get trashed for not being management shills after a series of terrible asset management decisions. Fans who are management shills never allow anyone to have a discussion without being beyond bias for management. Instead of taking their love and loyalties they have for people they don't even know out of the equation it becomes an attack on the club, GM, coach, players, etc...if people disagree with the business the club conducts.

When to all those parties involved it's really just business at the end of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago

But the Hawks are a driving force behind growing hockey in the United States and more importantly the mid-west.

I care a lot more about that then petty fandom childish ********

The only people I have actually see say the Hawks are going to be bad because of this is your own fans.

To act like the Hawks are not currently entering into the most fascinating cap situation in the league would be off.

It's fascinating to me the same way Detroits handling of the end of their dynasty is.

The same way the internal politics of the Colorado Avalanche are. You get on other teams fans as if they have motive to hold the opinion a large share of your own fans do. The same way a part of the Detroit fan base gets crucified(less and less now) for being on the fire Holland bandwagon. The same way a part of the Colorado fans get trashed for saying the club is cheap. Blues fans get trashed for not being management shills after a series of terrible asset management decisions. Fans who are management shills never allow anyone to have a discussion without being beyond bias for management. Instead of taking their love and loyalties they have for people they don't even know out of the equation it becomes an attack on the club, GM, coach, players, etc...if people disagree with the business the club conducts.

When to all those parties involved it's really just business at the end of the day.

Did you really expect the hawks to do anything else? They got paid in the $10 million range that almost every analyst predicted. The current hawks owner saw his father burn bridges with numerous superstars in the past. Follow in dad's footsteps again and play hardball with the cornerstones on the franchise? Toews and Kane were happy to stay and management was happy to pay. The fact they signed a full year early shows there was little doubt on either side.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007

I care a lot more about that then petty fandom childish ******** [mod]

The cap is going to force 3-6 players to move over two years. This is nothing like the purge after the first SC where stupid mistakes cost the Hawks 2-3 key players which took them 2 years to recover. Luckily this purge will only cost 1 really key player, probably Sharp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad