Confirmed with Link: Kane and Toews Extended (8 Years, $10.5M AAV)

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Toews and Kane extension press conference set for Wednesday

The Chicago Blackhawks will hold a press conference with Vice President and General Manager Stan Bowman, and forwards Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane on Wednesday, July 16 at 3:30 p.m. CT at the United Center to formally announce Toews and Kane's eight-year contract extensions.

The press conference will be carried live on chicagoblackhawks.com and the Official Blackhawks mobile app, Comcast SportsNet Chicago, CLTV, WGNTV.com, as well as WGN Radio AM-720 and 87.7 FM The Game.

Blackhawks.nhl.com

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Must've gotten a signing bonus to leave his gold coin pool during the offseason to make it to a press conference.

Thanks, Obama.

Is it clear I'm being facetious?

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Mark Lazerus
‏@MarkLazerus
Pat Brisson says Toews and Kane could have commanded the max of $13.8M, but wanted to keep the "puzzle" together. #Blackhawks

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Interesting if that is the max. Probably most everyone including myself had no idea what that number was.

That said, what a deal. :laugh:

eliostar

May 28, 2008
Toronto
Give us a break. It's pure greed and ego. Don't forget also that these guys, T/K, have Chicago in their palms. They make several times their salary in endorsements. They will be multi-millionaires for their entire lives.

If Hawks never win another SC in their respective careers they may look back and wonder if an extra $ 2M a year was really worth it. Winning should be everything at this point!

I think you better change your name, Bobby Jet, lol.:laugh:

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Mark Lazerus
‏@MarkLazerus
Pat Brisson says Toews and Kane could have commanded the max of $13.8M, but wanted to keep the "puzzle" together. #Blackhawks

This is absolutely correct, but still kind of a weird and pointless thing to say. I think they're great contracts, but that doesn't mean they're true discounts.

Nothingman*

This is absolutely correct, but still kind of a weird and pointless thing to say. I think they're great contracts, but that doesn't mean they're true discounts.

I agree. Maybe $500k discounts. Not much more.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
The "discount" angle, that the Blackhawks site ran with as well, did make me smile. Or roll my eyes.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Not the first time the Blackhawks have tried to play up a minor discount as a big deal. Pretty sure it also happened with Oduya, Seabrook, and Sharp.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Eh I don't think the Hawks are talking up the discount angle. That's just the agent's angle as he tries to push his clients in the future to go even higher than Toews and Kane rather than let other GMs see these contracts as the ceiling.

Pretty sure the Hawks marketing spin on all of this is "8 more years" which reminds me of like a political campaign re-election party or something.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
So we are supposed to accept that these guys did all Hawk fans a huge favour by accepting only 10.5 million a year????? Aw come on now! Its public knowledge what that amounts to in comparison to other stars. We can make up our own minds. They had bloody well better go out there and earn this.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
How gracious of them.

Yeah. They put the team first, for sure.:sarcasm:

Stan and Hawk fans had better pray the cap goes up significantly in the coming years. It's too bad they couldn't establish those salaries by percentage of the cap.

and OT but anyone attempting to equate this situation with Hull leaving for Winnipeg way back when. It simply cannot be compared. Old man Wirtz refused to pay the price for the most dynamic player in the league (not even close to his worth in fact).... and that was only the beginning. Anyone old enough knows how far the old miser went in the ensuing years. He almost destroyed the franchise with his nickel and diming in every aspect of the organization.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Yeah. They put the team first, for sure.:sarcasm:

Stan and Hawk fans had better pray the cap goes up significantly in the coming years. It's too bad they couldn't establish those salaries by percentage of the cap.

and OT but anyone attempting to equate this situation with Hull leaving for Winnipeg way back when. It simply cannot be compared. Old man Wirtz refused to pay the price for the most dynamic player in the league (not even close to his worth in fact).... and that was only the beginning. Anyone old enough knows how far the old miser went in the ensuing years. He almost destroyed the franchise with his nickel and diming in every aspect of the organization.

Given how far this franchise fell from around 1999-2006/2007 it could be argued he did in fact destroy the franchise. The reality is, had he not passed away most, if not all, of what has happened the past seven years would never have happened. Not under his watch with his ways.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
So we are supposed to accept that these guys did all Hawk fans a huge favour by accepting only 10.5 million a year????? Aw come on now! Its public knowledge what that amounts to in comparison to other stars. We can make up our own minds. They had bloody well better go out there and earn this.

If this was 15 years ago, everybody's opinion would be different. The organization was bashed for not spending money to keep quality players in Chicago, now half the fan base complains they may have over spent for two guys who clearly have already 'earned' this contract.

A fan base finally gets a taste of success and they get greedy. Oh the irony.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad