Confirmed with Link: K'Andre Miller - Re-signs with Rangers - 2 years @ 3.872 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I like Lindgren.

but would you rather have Mikkola at 2.5M or Lindgren at $5M? That's not an easy choice.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
No one but hardcore Rangers fans know who Robertson is, and think he will turn into anything

I think it’s possible he could turn into a 6/7 type guy who doesn’t look out of place but there’s a bunch of guys who can do that. It’s nothing special

I’m in favor of moving Lindgren but Robertson isn’t the guy I’m pointing to that will “replace him”

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I agree with this. The cap should not apply to drafted players, or players that made their NHL debut on your team.

This approach could potentially help the growing Canada problem as well. Incentivize players to stay with their Canadian team by allowing them to pay them more than they can be paid in Florida.
I'd say apply 50% cap hit for drafted/homegrown players. (50% discount)
75% cap hit for re-signing players, acquired after their NHL debuts. (25% discount)
Full cap hit for all other signings.
Allows teams to more easily keep their rosters together, cuts down on poaching. Allows players staying with their current teams to potentially get a higher payday.

Ryan Graves just got 4.5per from Pitt. I think Lingren is better. I'd expect he could be in the 5 to 5.5 range. I'd give Lindgren 5x5. Takes him to right when his body will just about give out
But Graves is a big lunk, and that is a premium in D Men.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Jones might be ready to play full time in the NHL, but he might not. And even if he is, that doesn't mean he'll be capable of playing 20 minutes a night including PK.

Robertson is more highly regarded than Lindgren was? By whom? He was drafted 49th overall in 2019. Lindgren was drafted 49th overall in 2016, so they are about as equal as they could be based on draft position. Lindgren spent 2 years in college post-draft, then spent 1 year in Hartford before making the NHL full time in his D+4 season. Robertson, in his D+4 season, played in one preseason game and then was an early cut from camp, and he hasn't even been a consideration as a callup in his 2 pro seasons.

I'd love for the Rangers to learn from their mistakes, but you suggesting moves out of fear rather than reason. Girardi and Staal got their problematic contracts when they were older. Girardi was 30 when his 6 year deal started. The 4 year contract prior to that, which he signed at age 26, was just fine. Staal signed his 6 year deal at age 28. Lindgren will be 26 when his next contract starts. A 4 or 5 year deal will take him to 30-31. I fully agree that we shouldn't give him another contract at age 30, but not giving him one at age 26 because you're afraid of him breaking down is ludicrous.

Could injuries become an issue? Absolutely. But then maybe we get to take advantage of LTIR the way so many are always going on about. And BTW, the highly regarded Robertson missed 15 games at the end of the regular season and all 9 of Hartford's playoff games with an injury. Lindgren gets beat up, but he mostly plays through it and plays well. This year was the first case where he missed significant time.

Lindgren's injuries are already an issue. Girardi missed three (3) games between 2007-2015. Staal had a freak eye injury and a concussion, but once he was past that he didnt miss games in his remaining time as a Ranger. Fans are just willfully ignoring that Lindgren has finished the last 3 seasons injured. Concussion in 2021, Ankle in 2022, Shoulder in 2023. His game is being impacted by injury already at age 25 because of his play style. Pay Lindgren 4.5 like Graves just got from Pittsburgh, and this board will incessantly complain about the player being overpaid and the organization for paying him.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Lindgren's injuries are already an issue. Girardi missed three (3) games between 2007-2015. Staal had a freak eye injury and a concussion, but once he was past that he didnt miss games in his remaining time as a Ranger. Fans are just willfully ignoring that Lindgren has finished the last 3 seasons injured. Concussion in 2021, Ankle in 2022, Shoulder in 2023. His game is being impacted by injury already at age 25 because of his play style. Pay Lindgren 4.5 like Graves just got from Pittsburgh, and this board will incessantly complain about the player being overpaid and the organization for paying him.
This board will incessantly complain no matter what we do.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Lindgren is the heart and soul of the team. If he’s willing to take a reasonable deal that is movable or not buyout proof, I’d sign him. Guys like him bring a certain mindset and approach to the game that teammates feed off of, and is hard to replace. If he wants to cash in on what will likely be his only chance at a big payday, I’d let him walk. It’s not a black and white decision, the devil will be in the details.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
About 500k more than I would have liked. Either he's still a $4 million player in two years or he gets paid when big money comes off the books. Doing anything else but bridging him would have been dumb.
True. Unless we could've done $6M x 8 years.
That would've been a very good contract. We couldn't afford it though.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I know you have an irrational hatred of Trouba because he's overpaid by 1.5 million bucks, but this team would be much worse on defense with Schneider playing Trouba's minutes.
He’s overpaid way more than that.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
They freaked out getting bullied by LA in front of the net so they wanted tough boy Tanner to do...what exactly? You know how that goes.

We were never gonna be as big as LA. Nobody was. The key to beating them was moving the puck better. So I kind of got the Dan Boyle thing but not at the expense of Stralman. They should have dumped Girardi or Staal before they had no value.

Not to mention LA didn't make the following SCF. Didn't even make the playoffs. Reminds me of how we blew up the '94 team planning for Philly, who never won anything. You don't roster build for one matchup.
Yep, Smith traded skill for size and grit just to get outclassed offensively by Lemieux and Jagr. The team could have really used Zubov and Nordstrom in the late 90s; it was embarrassing who Leetch was stuck playing during that time.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
No he really isnt.

Yes he really is.

He not so secretly stinks at defense. He can't run the power play. All he does is provide a physical presence.

You can get guys who are better than him for practically half his cap hit in this depressed cap environment.

He's the 14th highest paid defenseman in the league. He's no better than a second pair defender at this point at best.

Ryan Graves is a hands-down better player than Trouba and just got $4.5m.

Last edited:

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I also shouldn't have to say that Ryan Lindgren is a hands down better and more important player for us than Jacob Trouba, and if we move out Lindgren while Trouba continues to collect $8m a year we are idiots. We should consider any and all options including extortion and kidnapping to get Trouba to waive his NMC if we have no other option to free up the money and we have to let Lindgren go.

(That being said I'm also open to a discussion on moving Lindgren depending on the cost and haul I'd get back).

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I also shouldn't have to say that Ryan Lindgren is a hands down better and more important player for us than Jacob Trouba, and if we move out Lindgren while Trouba continues to collect $8m a year we are idiots. We should consider any and all options including extortion and kidnapping to get Trouba to waive his NMC if we have no other option to free up the money and we have to let Lindgren go.

(That being said I'm also open to a discussion on moving Lindgren depending on the cost and haul I'd get back).
Its easy to build a roster with cap numbers and players that fit nicely into the right positions but the problem with Lindy is if you move on from him, who are you going to get to replace him and at what cost?

He and Fox have a great relationship and when hes out its not only a big loss for the team but it also affects Fox. I wouldnt be too quick to move on from him just because he costs a little extra. Ryan is the type of guy you are ok with over spending a little for. Problem is there are so many overpaid players on this team and it results in a jadedness thats contagious to all of the players

Last edited:
Reactions: mas0764

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Its easy to build a roster with cap numbers and players that fit nicely into the right positions but the problem with Lindy is if you move on from him, who are you going to get to replace him and at what cost?

He and Fox have a great relationship and when hes out its not only a big loss for the team but it also affects Fox. I wouldnt be too quick to move on from him just because he costs a little extra. Ryan is the type of guy you are ok with over spending a little on a little. Problem is there are so many overpaid players on this team and it results in a jadedness thats contagious to all of the players

Fox has been better with Miller than he has with Lindgren.

I get the sample size isn't massive but thats how its been.

How it impacts the room is a fair point but the reality is they have at minimum 2 years to figure out what they want to do (1 year left on his deal, but an extra year of control.)

By then who knows what the rest of the roster looks like, what will be available on the market or even in the system. If they've moved on from Panarin and/or Trouba, there will be cap space to accommodate a top 4 defenseman.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Any model that suggest Lindgrens market value is worth $11.5M should not be taken seriously

It's one way of looking at it, but any way you slice it Lindgren is better than Trouba. Meanwhile I'll wait with bated breath for the model that gets every detail right.

Disagree HEAVILY.

By what evidence other than Rangers fandom is Trouba better?

Here comes the "intangibles," discussion.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It's one way of looking at it, but any way you slice it Lindgren is better than Trouba. Meanwhile I'll wait with bated breath for the model that gets every detail right.
That model is caused common sense and it's been around for a while .

$11.5M for a sub 20pts defenseman? please stop defending your idol. That's beyond absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad