Prospect Info: K'Andre Miller (D) - Part IV

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Parayko.

Thats the level we want him to get to. He doesn't need to be Burns, but a long, mobile defenseman who can chew up space and close off the opposition while still contributing 30+ points a year is a hell of a player in this league. Those guys don't really exist in the league.

One criticism: He needs to stop trying to just close people off using his arms and get better leverage and allow his body to do the work. When he uses just his arms, 95% of the time he'll drive a guy wide enough where they can't do anything significant but utilizing his whole frame and closing them off will kill these plays off immediately. The lack of quality scoring chances in the immediacy is fine, but that shouldn't come at the expense of sustained possession time against.

It's gotten better this year than it was last year, but it still happens more than it should. This doesn't mean that he needs to kill everyone at every opportunity, but it's the next step for him to take.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Don't underestimate the potential for significant offensive numbers. The kid started out as a forward remember? He's got a great shot, both wrister as we saw last night and a very good slap shot. His problem last season was puck control at the o-zone blue line at times but once that issue is sorted and he starts to lock that blue line down he can be tremendous, also on the PP.

No, sorry, Burns put up some of the most ridiculous stats for a defenseman this league has seen in the last decade. The odds of Miller doing that too are slim

He could have good offensive numbers, but Burns was top of the barrel elite

e: at least, I'm thinking of Burns at his high point, his career has been a fair bit lower than his elite years but I assumed people were talking about the near point per game Burns who scored 29 goals one year

If we're talking more in that 50 point range then yeah with his skills Miller could have a shot at that if he starts getting more PP time, but really that's gonna be tough with Fox around

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
No, sorry, Burns put up some of the most ridiculous stats for a defenseman this league has seen in the last decade. The odds of Miller doing that too are slim

He could have good offensive numbers, but Burns was top of the barrel elite

e: at least, I'm thinking of Burns at his high point, his career has been a fair bit lower than his elite years but I assumed people were talking about the near point per game Burns who scored 29 goals one year

If we're talking more in that 50 point range then yeah with his skills Miller could have a shot at that if he starts getting more PP time, but really that's gonna be tough with Fox around
I think the point was Burns wasn't 29 goal Burns until 30 years old. KAM is 21 turning 22. Give it some time.

I don't think anyone is expecting him to be a 30 goal 80pts defensemen... but there are levels KAM could achieve in time

It's impressive he's been this good. He's improved in every aspect dramatically. His potential is astronomical.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
I posted this in the Laf thread as well, but both he and Miller are closing in on 82 games played. They are at 72 right now. With the previous 2 COVID half seasons, I'm only now looking at both of them as having started their sophomore season. Based on that, Miller's poise and defensive play is superb.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
While Miller certainly looks far more comfortable one has to ask: why is Trouba caught down low one against two multiple times every game?

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
That was a brutal game for miller. But he can learn alot from it. He got caught playing forward too many times.

just got to work on his instincts and pick his spots better.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Miller got egregiously blamed for that 2nd goal against.

Bergeron is Rooney’s man, not his. I can’t speak to the rest of the game, but that one wasn’t on him.
It was clear as day. How fast people come out of the woodwork to hate on KAM is comical

It's been happening way too often between Goodrow and Rooney. You're professionals. Communicate.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
although he really wasn't great yesterday (neither was trouba) he's still doing things I like. he has really, really cut down on the stick waving and has opted to physically close gaps much more frequently. it'll go a long way for his defensive prowess.

Would it be crazy to say that not accounting for quality of competition this has been our best pairing when it comes to defense?
no, it would be correct

him and Trouba have been remarkably consistent all year. though yesterday was probably their worst game.

Reactions: egelband

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
although he really wasn't great yesterday (neither was trouba) he's still doing things I like. he has really, really cut down on the stick waving and has opted to physically close gaps much more frequently. it'll go a long way for his defensive prowess.

no, it would be correct

him and Trouba have been remarkably consistent all year. though yesterday was probably their worst game.
Yeah but consider that Trouba's blunder was on the PK with Nemeth as his partner. Wasn't as if both goals came on even strength against them as a pair.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Miller got egregiously blamed for that 2nd goal against.

Bergeron is Rooney’s man, not his. I can’t speak to the rest of the game, but that one wasn’t on him.
That's probably a set play off a faceoff that the B's had it figured out against our d-zone system. Rooney releases off Bergeron to occupy the passing lane, and that caused the disadvantage on Trouba. But if Rooney intercepts that cross ice pass, everything would've been fine. He was a second late to get his stick down. Rooney was probably following the system as designed, otherwise he would've sticked to Bergeron man on man.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
That's probably a set play off a faceoff that the B's had it figured out against our d-zone system. Rooney releases off Bergeron to occupy the passing lane, and that caused the disadvantage on Trouba. But if Rooney intercepts that cross ice pass, everything would've been fine. He was a second late to get his stick down. Rooney was probably following the system as designed, otherwise he would've sticked to Bergeron man on man.

It was Boston's LD who slipped all the way down the zone backdoor. That's technically Reaves' man, he doesn't even appaer to notice Grizlick sprinting toward the goal, so alot of that is on him.

I didn't like the decision to send that line out there for a dzone start against the bergeron line to start with

Last edited:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I think Rooney Goodrow got confused on assignments. Goodrow got thrown out and ROoney took the faaceoff. He released Bergeron for some reason and was out of position.

It's a breakdown on communication as we're still learning the system. Rooney and Goodrow alternating between W/C also adds to the confusion.

Rooney broke off of Bergeron and he and Reaves went to the same player. GruCZKhczjylk comes down back door..

Trouba leaves his feet and 'plays' Gryzculizik instead of letting Shesty deal with him

Last edited:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
In The Athletic, today.

Miller’s mistakes are more glaring, which is acceptable for a 21-year-old who’s played just 76 NHL games. Trouba is there to provide cover for Miller, so Trouba’s numbers aren’t going to look as gaudy as Fox’s despite the way Trouba’s played.

The problem recently is Miller’s game-by-game data is slipping. Evolving-Hockey has Miller with these expected-goals percentages in the last four games: 17.5, 38.9, 39.2, 22.2. Those are all Ranger wins, and Miller’s season total of 46.7 xGF% is, again, acceptable. But it’s something that’s worth watching with this heavy stretch of games coming up and Igor Shesterkin still out indefinitely.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He's usually really solid out there. Unfortunately he has a proclivity to make glaring, careless mistakes once or twice a night. Fortunately he's 22 (almost) and only has 90 games under his belt, so there's a real reason to believe he'll cut down on those errors.

I wouldn't go out of my way to move him in any way, shape, or form, but if there was a deal out there for a really talented young C to be made, then there aren't many untouchables on this roster.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
He's usually really solid out there. Unfortunately he has a proclivity to make glaring, careless mistakes once or twice a night. Fortunately he's 22 (almost) and only has 90 games under his belt, so there's a real reason to believe he'll cut down on those errors.

I wouldn't go out of my way to move him in any way, shape, or form, but if there was a deal out there for a really talented young C to be made, then there aren't many untouchables on this roster.

perfectly said and what i feel exactly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad