Prospect Info: K'Andre Miller (D) - Part IV

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
3195gc.png

DeAngelo stealing KAM's first goal puck.

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
My prediction: Miller is gonna go off the rest of the season. The Toronto game was a turning point. I saw real development in front of my eyes. I may be wrong and it could just be a hot streak, but I’m feeling good about this.

Kinda saw that too. He just looked different, in a good way. Tons of confidence, he wanted the puck.

and to think about some of the discussions to send him down in week 1-3

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
The AHL was only a real option for Miller before the start of the covid season.

He had an up and down year last year, but his ups were straight up dominant. When you see that, you work with it and try to figure out how to draw it out on a more consistent basis (in game reps are needed for that.) If he were struggling with the most basic of fundamentals from day 1 and showed no improvement over time then yeah, that calls for a demotion. He 100% hit a wall last year and was probably called on to do way more than he was ready for, but those reps were important.

He hasn't had any real sustained dips this year. He hasn't been mistake free, but neither has Fox.

Agree with @Raspewtin that his game works better at the NHL level than it would at the AHL level. Same with a guy like Zac Jones, who would be more productive in the NHL playing with guys who can do something with the puck when he gives it to them.

KAM has the highest upside of anyone on our roster, which is insane considering that we have arguably the best defenseman in the league who has already won the Norris.

This is a really interesting situation. If KAM breaks out in the next two years what will his next contract look like? He is due for a new one after the 22-23 season.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I agree there's been real progress recently.
Don't be surprised when he takes temporary steps back in a few weeks. It's the natural path of defensemen not named Fox. He's still making net forward progress.
Yea true but I really think Miller is special. Not Fox, but top pair upside.

Reactions: Lays

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Yea true but I really think Miller is special. Not Fox, but top pair upside.

I'd say Miller's upside is perennial Norris contender. That's Fox territory.

Odds of getting there aren't great, but he always was considered a project pick with sky high potential. He just decided to skip the "project" part, which is absurd considering how new he is to the position.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
I'd be thrilled if Miller turned into prime McD. His biggest improvement area is in the neutral zone. McD used to constantly jump plays with IQ and hockey sense. If Miller can get better timing down on when to activate it would go a long way.

Reactions: Narcissus

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Odds of getting there aren't great, but he always was considered a project pick with sky high potential. He just decided to skip the "project" part, which is absurd considering how new he is to the position.

I just don't see the offense from him to be a perennial Norris winner. That said, even with Lindgren being not as good this year, I think our top 4 is as good as any in the league. Bottom pairing oof.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I just don't see the offense from him to be a perennial Norris winner. That said, even with Lindgren being not as good this year, I think our top 4 is as good as any in the league. Bottom pairing oof.

Yeah, it may not get there. But with how much more confident he has been handling the puck, starting with the game where he scored the ridiculous goal, I just can't put limitations on him anymore.

I feel like ever since we drafted him, we've been saying he can't do this yet and he can't do that yet, and he's done nothing but annihilate those expectations. Now he's starting to challenge guys with his stick-handling and skating; and I'm done saying that he can't do stuff. He won't get PP1 time on this team; but 5v5, he's beating opposing defensemen to pucks on the forecheck and using his skating to gain centre ice consistently.

We've only seen a small sample of what the end product is going to be with this kid.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

I see him having a great shot, so there should be more offense when he figures out when to use it more. He's not a zubov or a Leetch, if he's getting points it will be from shots from the point and he should do that a lot more.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Yeah, it may not get there. But with how much more confident he has been handling the puck, starting with the game where he scored the ridiculous goal, I just can't put limitations on him anymore.

I feel like ever since we drafted him, we've been saying he can't do this yet and he can't do that yet, and he's done nothing but annihilate those expectations. Now he's starting to challenge guys with his stick-handling and skating; and I'm done saying that he can't do stuff. He won't get PP1 time on this team; but 5v5, he's beating opposing defensemen to pucks on the forecheck and using his skating to gain centre ice consistently.

We've only seen a small sample of what the end product is going to be with this kid.

Honestly with his shot i could see him getting pp time, everyone wants to replace Strome with a forward, i say replace him with fox and give us the option of a having Miller take his shot up high....eventually once he's more acclimated. Thats one problem i have with our pp over the years is that there hasn't been a legitimate hard shot threat from the point to spread the pk out, teams generally collapse when playing us.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey

Haha yea that’s what I was thinking like why is he so polished? Wasn’t he supposed to be raw? Also yea it’s very hard to tell what he will become, but his floor is very high (which is basically a top 4 D). Miller might be the biggest steal of the rebuild. I don’t count acquiring Fox because we knew he was coming here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harbour Dog

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
His offense will come. He has all the tools. He's focusing on defense for now, as he should.

A guy like Brett Burns became an offensive force later in his career.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
His offense will come. He has all the tools. He's focusing on defense for now, as he should.

A guy like Brett Burns became an offensive force later in his career.
If he can just work on getting his heavy shot through like he did last night, he will get to Burns’ level.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If he can just work on getting his heavy shot through like he did last night, he will get to Burns’ level.

Extremely unlikely he'll get to Burns' level of offense and this is completely OK, he doesn't need to put up that many points to be a valuable asset to the Rangers

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
How do you not see the offensive upside? Dude went end to end against Florida and burned Mackenzie Weegar who’s become one of the top d-men in the league. Look at his rush yesterday where he set up Chytil. Or his wrist shot goal from the blueline that went top shelf. Dude has the shot and speed to become a legit offensive threat

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
How do you not see the offensive upside? Dude went end to end against Florida and burned Mackenzie Weegar who’s become one of the top d-men in the league. Look at his rush yesterday where he set up Chytil. Or his wrist shot goal from the blueline that went top shelf. Dude has the shot and speed to become a legit offensive threat

I think my take on this may be outdated. I remember cringing every time he was on the point on the PP last year.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Extremely unlikely he'll get to Burns' level of offense and this is completely OK, he doesn't need to put up that many points to be a valuable asset to the Rangers
Yea he doesn’t need to be Burns offensively because he’ll be (hopefully) much better defensively.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
He's not really going to have a chance to be Burns here unless Fox requests a trade as 35% of Burns' points come from the PP. With that said, the offensive upside is clear as a day. He's got very silky mitts for a guy his size and seems to be mastering the art of pinching. Curious to see what his advance stats look like compared to last year as to me he's quite clearly taken a big step

Reactions: egelband

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

Don't underestimate the potential for significant offensive numbers. The kid started out as a forward remember? He's got a great shot, both wrister as we saw last night and a very good slap shot. His problem last season was puck control at the o-zone blue line at times but once that issue is sorted and he starts to lock that blue line down he can be tremendous, also on the PP.

Reactions: duhmetreE

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
This is a really interesting situation. If KAM breaks out in the next two years what will his next contract look like? He is due for a new one after the 22-23 season.
there is no way to know that, really, but it's definitely going to be pretty high, by today's standards, I think anywhere from 4 to 6 bridge... He is only going to improve and it's probably going to be one of the best offensive defenseman in the division by the time his unrestricted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad