Prospect Info: Kaiden Guhle Part III (Traded to Oil Kings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
The Canadiens are still looking for their franchise quarterback.
Add no.1 center to that list. They have been searching for more than a decade with no results. Promising.

No, Nick Softzuki isn't one and most likely won't ever be.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I didn't see the dominating performance i was expecting from Guhle so I'm hoping this kid is the real deal.

This season would be lot more tolerable and maybe next year too if it gives us four top 6 youngsters.

Yes....too much hope.....

This is the over expectation with respect to Guhle's abilities that I cautioned against. Guhle will never be a dominating player at the NHL level. He lacks the dynamic skating to fulfill such lofty expectations. What Guhle will be is a rock solid 3 to 4 defenceman who brings physicality and leadership to a team that has a minimum level of the former and almost none of the latter.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
This is the over expectation with respect to Guhle's abilities that I cautioned against. Guhle will never be a dominating player at the NHL level. He lacks the dynamic skating to fulfill such lofty expectations. What Guhle will be is a rock solid 3 to 4 defenceman who brings physicality and leadership to a team that has a minimum level of the former and almost none of the latter.

Ghule is a dynamic skater, that’s one of his best attributes. If you said puck skills that would be a valid point.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Ghule is a dynamic skater, that’s one of his best attributes. If you said puck skills that would be a valid point.
With respect, if Guhle's skating is dynamic, then how do you describe Makar's and Hughes' skating ability: unworldly? Guhle's a fine prospect, but let's see him for what he is and for what he projects to be. Otherwise you're going to have some here calling him a bust for failing to meet unrealistic expectations.

Reactions: Gravity and SOLR

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
With respect, if Guhle's skating is dynamic, then how do you describe Makar's and Hughes' skating ability: unworldly? Guhle's a fine prospect, but let's see him for what he is and for what he projects to be. Otherwise you're going to have some here calling him a bust for failing to meet unrealistic expectations.
Guhle is a good skater.

Quinn Hughes and Makar’s skating is beyond elite.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015

You can probably count on one hand the amount of defensemen with Ghule’s combination of size and skating ability in the NHL

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
You can probably count on one hand the amount of defensemen with Ghule’s combination of size and skating ability in the NHL
Really? Just off the top of my head here is a list of current NHL defencemen who are at least 6' 2"( or probably much taller) who can skate as well as or probably significantly better than Guhle: Hedman, Josi, Carlson, Jones, Hamilton, Nurse, Pietrangelo, Heiskanen, Theodore, Klingberg, McAvoy, Dahlin, Zaitsev, Ekblad, Ekman- Larsson; Trouba, Chabot, Sergachev, Parayko, Chychrun, Ekholm, Dobson, Mayfield, Pesce, Skjei, Hanifan, Tanev, K. Miller, Dumoulin, Matheson, Myers, Beaulieu, Holden, Zub, Holl, Ristolainen, Dekeyser, Seider and Cernak. And I probably overlooked several other large mobile defencemen.

If Guhle turns out as well as any of these players I would say we have done pretty well with a 16 OA pick. But to see Guhle as the next coming of Larry Robinson is a complete overestimation of this player's potential impact in the NHL. He wasn't even the best skating defenceman on Team Canada as both Power and Zellweger were far more impactful skaters. Guhle is a fine prospect, but let's keep our expectations in check.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
? for you all

can this kid skate good? I mean really good as a D man
I stand by what I said in the pre-season, Guhle's skating is hugely overrated on this site. That determination does not render him an inconsequential prospect. Only his future role will be different from what so many here have hoped for: a top pairing defenceman who's dynamic skating would allow him to control the flow of play. That is not happening. That type of player has yet to be drafted or acquired by the team.

Reactions: Hins77

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I stand by what I said in the pre-season, Guhle's skating is hugely overrated on this site. That determination does not render him an inconsequential prospect. Only his future role will be different from what so many here have hoped for: a top pairing defenceman who's dynamic skating would allow him to control the flow of play. That is not happening. That type of player has yet to be drafted or acquired by the team.
Agree with you. He won’t become Hedman, neither Makar. If we are lucky. He is hoing to be a darnell nurse but I personnally doubt about his offensive ceilling. I consider him able to play 25 minutes a game, finishing the season with 25 points on a first pair with a better partner or the best dman of the second pair. Thats how I See Guhle and this is pretty good sign for a 16th oa pick. If we are « unlucky ». He is going to be a better version of edmundson, wich I consider a 4th dman. Guhle floor is pretty high.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Guhle is a fantastic skater....there really is no discussion to be had here. His upside is a top pairing nastier version of Jacob Slavin. His downside is Joel Edmundson.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Oil Kings tweeted that a few of their guys that were at the WJC will meet the team in Saskatoon for a game against the Blades. Conspicuous by his absence in that photo is Kaiden Guhle. So maybe he left to join the Habs as an emergency recall?

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Guhle is a fantastic skater....there really is no discussion to be had here. His upside is a top pairing nastier version of Jacob Slavin. His downside is Joel Edmundson.
I hope you are right and I am wrong. But I think terms like fantastic, elite and dynamic are as often misused as is the use of generational talent. To my aging eyes, I don't see Guhle as a fantastic skater. A fantastic skater was Paul Coffey or Scott Niedermayer or Jay Bouwmeester. Are you saying that you see Guhle in their class? Or is it that Coffey, Niederayer and Bouwmeester were super duper fantastic skaters. I will point out again that Guhle wasn't even the best skating defenceman on Team Canada. So I guess Power and Zellweger must be in the super duper fantastic class of skaters. Then one can only wonder about the lofty description applicable to the U.S.' Jake Sanderson, who is even a better skater than all three.

Reactions: TannedBum

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
lol, ok.. dime a dozen in today's NHL, just not in Montreal.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I don't care at all about his offensive upside; any would be a bonus.

Derian Hatcher was a force on Dallas' blueline and he was an offensive blackhole.

Watching games from the 70's I have the unshakable impression that Serge Savard was the most valuable member of the Big Three.

Defense wins championships.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I don't care at all about his offensive upside; any would be a bonus.

Derian Hatcher was a force on Dallas' blueline and he was an offensive blackhole.

Watching games from the 70's I have the unshakable impression that Serge Savard was the most valuable member of the Big Three.

Defense wins championships.
Not to be a contrarian, and someone who had the privilege of seeing the Big Three play dozens of times in person, I think even Savard would readily agree that Robinson was the best defenceman of the three if not in the whole league. Only Salming was close. What most people don't know is that Savard started as a forward, but suffered two broken legs that really derailed his career. When he first came up and played the rover position, Savard was a revelation, Montreal's answer to Orr. He was the fastest player on the ice. In my opinion he never fully recovered from those leg injuries. He lost his great straightforward speed. But Savard adapted his game. Still a strong skater, he learned to use his great size to protect the puck. He developed the Savardian spinnerama to gain separation from forecheckers. He used his skating judiciously and knew when to pinch and when to retreat. One of the smartest players I ever watched. A true Hall of Famer. But he was no Robinson. No one was.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Not to be a contrarian, and someone who had the privilege of seeing the Big Three play dozens of times in person, I think even Savard would readily agree that Robinson was the best defenceman of the three if not in the whole league. Only Salming was close. What most people don't know is that Savard started as a forward, but suffered two broken legs that really derailed his career. When he first came up and played the rover position, Savard was a revelation, Montreal's answer to Orr. He was the fastest player on the ice. In my opinion he never fully recovered from those leg injuries. He lost his great straightforward speed. But Savard adapted his game. Still a strong skater, he learned to use his great size to protect the puck. He developed the Savardian spinnerama to gain separation from forecheckers. He used his skating judiciously and knew when to pinch and when to retreat. One of the smartest players I ever watched. A true Hall of Famer. But he was no Robinson. No one was.

Yeah, I was aware of those facts about Savard's early leg injuries. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Robinson was the greatest all-around force, especially in the dynasty years, but Savard was so underrated. He always looked so good in every game I've watched, making subtle plays that guaranteed defensive protection.

I... didn't know he started as a forward. That surprises me. I know Robinson was actually drafted as a forward though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad