Value of: Kaiden Ghule

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'd love Guhle on the Blues. We need a young LH, all situations top 4. I'd offer a deal with a base of:

1) 24 1st top 3 protected (currently 13th by point%) or
2) Jake Neighbours (21 yo, 21 goals, big net front presence).

I would add as well.
I don't know much about Neighbors or his value.

I do know that we need a big impact forward to justify trading Ghule so the trade would be more for someone like Thomas. Even if we had to add.

It literally robbing our defense to improve our offence so it has to be worth it.

Obviously Blues fans don't want to lose that much.

21 years old D on ELC who can shut down top lines in the league and play 23+ minutes a night wouldn’t help a contender? Really?
It's always about "winning" a trade so full speed ahead at devaluing the player.

Reactions: Baksfamous112

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Habs keep him. Hes not worth much to a contender and other bad teams also have young dmen who needs ice time.

Absolutely. Fun to talk player value but Habs are not trading Guhle. On paper, Guhle for Zegras is also fun to talk about but doubt the Habs offer Guhle for Zegras. Value might be close but Guhle is part of our promising youth on D and is showing his promise in actual NHL games.

Habs are loaded with youth on D. Question is how many are top pairing, top 4D, and how many are depth guys. Hard to predict on Reinbacher, Hutson, and Engstrom until they all turn pro.

So yeah, if we do try to trade for Zegras, I think we probably try to use our 5-7 range pick if it don't win the lottery. Not exactly sure what the Ducks are looking for... 1/1 player trade or futures package. Habs certainly can engage on several offers and just monitor what other teams may be offering as well. Certainly not desperate to trade for Zegras but we are interested. If someone wants to pay more than us (like Dubois trade talks), we will let them.

Guhle to me is a below average top pairing guy and above average 2nd pairing guy. That's how I see his game today but it could change as he matures even more.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I don't know much about Neighbors or his value.

I do know that we need a big impact forward to justify trading Ghule so the trade would be more for someone like Thomas. Even if we had to add.

It literally robbing our defense to improve our offence so it has to be worth it.

Obviously Blues fans don't want to lose that much.

It's always about "winning" a trade so full speed ahead at devaluing the player.

Yea, Thomas is not an option. That was not the premise of the thread. I know you're a different poster but that feels very bait and switch.

OP, think 13th OA like Romanov or someone like Middlestadt.

Me, ok, our pick should be around 13 plus an add to combat uncertainty.

You step in, ummm, yea, we're going to need that 24 year old Top 10 center (arguably) you got there

Not saying Guhle isn't worth that with an add, but I wouldn't do it.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Have to laugh when posters say Guhle is not worth much to a contender. He's producing at a minimum 2nd pairing defensive work at 900K. That is the most bang for buck you will get. Plus he has another season remaining on his ELC.

Guhle is an untouchable from the Habs pov. He is the Habs present and future.

Last edited:

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yea, Thomas is not an option. That was not the premise of the thread. I know you're a different poster but that feels very bait and switch.

OP, think 13th OA like Romanov or someone like Middlestadt.

Me, ok, our pick should be around 13 plus an add to combat uncertainty.

You step in, ummm, yea, we're going to need that 24 year old Top 10 center (arguably) you got there

Not saying Guhle isn't worth that with an add, but I wouldn't do it.
I don't know who else is in on the conversation, I just responded to your post.

Habs organization and fans think he's our top 2 guy. The only way it makes sense to trade him is for a top line center. Even if we have to add.

So Neighbors does not get Ghule and Ghule can't get Thomas.

Fine...moving on....

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I don't know who else is in on the conversation, I just responded to your post.

Habs organization and fans think he's our top 2 guy. The only way it makes sense to trade him is for a top line center. Even if we have to add.

So Neighbors does not get Ghule and Ghule can't get Thomas.

Fine...moving on....

You don't know who else is in on the conversation? The original post that was the premise of this thread. It asked for a top 6 forward or a 13th-ish pick. It did not specify high-end C. See below.

I offered your choice of those 2 things. Neighbours is low-end top 6, maybe middle 6 right now but at 21 he has upside. Again, C was not stated in the post.
Don't want it, fine. But don't act like I am undervaluing Guhle for trying to offer the closest thing we have to what the original post asked for.

Also as a reference, Romanov was traded for the 13th overall pick in the 2022 draft before that pick being traded for Kirby Dach.

What kind of top 6 forward could Kaiden Guhle return?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You don't know who else is in on the conversation? The original post that was the premise of this thread. It asked for a top 6 forward or a 13th-ish pick. It did not specify high-end C. See below.

I offered your choice of those 2 things. Neighbours is low-end top 6, maybe middle 6 right now but at 21 he has upside. Again, C was not stated in the post.
Don't want it, fine. But don't act like I am undervaluing Guhle for trying to offer the closest thing we have to what the original post asked for.
Jake Neighbours hasn't put up top-6 numbers yet. 36pt pace is not low-end 2nd pairing. Its 3rd pairing.

He won't get you Guhle.

Reactions: HabsAddict

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jake Neighbours hasn't put up top-6 numbers yet. 36pt pace is not low-end 2nd pairing. Its 3rd pairing.

He won't get you Guhle.
It doesn't seem to sink through that nothing but a proven young top C starts a conversation for Ghule. The conversation starts with Zegras or equivilant and goes up from there, including adding from our side

We got Dach and Suzuki but they are not enough when one of them can go down and wipe out a season.

Having a trainload of LHD does not mean we have a trainload of Ghule to throw at "potential" top 6 players.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
It doesn't seem to sink through that nothing but a proven young top C starts a conversation for Ghule. The conversation starts with Zegras or equivilant and goes up from there, including adding from our side

We got Dach and Suzuki but they are not enough when one of them can go down and wipe out a season.

Having a trainload of LHD does not mean we have a trainload of Ghule to throw at "potential" top 6 players.
With all the high end picks The Habs have in the next 2 years I think they can get a Zegras type guy without giving up Guhle....

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Bolded is the key statement. Of our LHD, only Guhle has developed into a bonafide top-4 (and likely a top-2) Dman. Xhekaj is a unicorn. He has 2nd pairing potential but at worst is a stable bottom pairing big-strong-bully.

Struble / Harris may have low-end 2nd pairing potential but its not guaranteed and they will likely be traded. I don't see their value any higher than a 2nd / 3rd round pick at the moment.

We can't trade Guhle. There is no one like him on our D-corps. Reinbacher has potential but is years away.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
With all the high end picks The Habs have in the next 2 years I think they can get a Zegras type guy without giving up Guhle....
Habs have 4 x 1sts over the next 2 x seasons + 3 x 2nds + Struble/Harris/Barron + Mesar that they can offer in trade. Lots of trade capital.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Exactly right. I bet there is enough to get 2 young guys......
You can even add Lane Hutson + Logan Mailloux to the list of assets for trade, assuming that you are getting quality back in return. Adding Hutson to this list is likely controversial but depending on the return, he is expendable in my mind.

The only ones i wouldn't trade are Owen Beck, Xhekaj and Reinbacher. They are important to the team's future. Xhekaj may seem an unlikely untouchable but he adds a skillset the Habs haven't had in decades.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
You can even add Lane Hutson + Logan Mailloux to the list of assets for trade, assuming that you are getting quality back in return.

The only ones i wouldn't trade are Owen Beck, Xhekaj and Reinbacher. They are important to the team's future.
I mean sure but that better be a hell of a return.....

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

He won't get you Guhle.

I know Guhle is more valuable. Isaid I'd add. He'd be the base. We don't have a 1 for 1 player to offer unless you want Buchnevich, and term/unwillingness to re-sign is possibly an issue with him.

Neighbours is 21 and its his first full season. He started slow as this is the first full year, but he's come on strong and is now playing in our top 6 and putting up low-end top 6 numbers after those first 15 or so games. He is a goal-scorer which puts a premium on those points as well. Plus he is a great net-front presence and there has been a lot of goals that only went in because of his screen where he did not get a point.

I know Guhle is more valuable. But it's tiring when someone posts what they are looking for, you try to match it as close as you can, and then someone else comes in "it'd take your best player" .

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I know Guhle is more valuable. Isaid I'd add. He'd be the base. We don't have a 1 for 1 player to offer unless you want Buchnevich, and term/unwillingness to re-sign is possibly an issue with him.

Neighbours is 21 and its his first full season. He started slow as this is the first full year, but he's come on strong and is now playing in our top 6 and putting up low-end top 6 numbers after those first 15 or so games. He is a goal-scorer which puts a premium on those points as well. Plus he is a great net-front presence and there has been a lot of goals that only went in because of his screen where he did not get a point.

I know Guhle is more valuable. But it's tiring when someone posts what they are looking for, you try to match it as close as you can, and then someone else comes in "it'd take your best player" .
I think the disconnect in this entire thread is that Guhle is not available for trade. The OPs premise is flawed. The Habs have a plethora of young LHD players but none are anywhere close to the calibre of Guhle. The Habs will be trading the excess (Struble/Harris) LHD instead.

Reactions: Majorityof1

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think the disconnect in this entire thread is that Guhle is not available for trade. The OPs premise is flawed. The Habs have a plethora of young LHD players but none are anywhere close to the calibre of Guhle. The Habs will be trading the excess (Struble/Harris) LHD instead.

Fair enough, and that makes sense. I think Guhle is a good one, so I agree it'd probably make sense to trade the others.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Fair enough, and that makes sense. I think Guhle is a good one, so I agree it'd probably make sense to trade the others.
And with that said, Struble/Harris will not get anywhere close to Neighbors.

What are the Blues plans with Parayko? Are they looking to use him as a trade piece in a rebuild?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
And with that said, Struble/Harris will not get anywhere close to Neighbors.

What are the Blues plans with Parayko? Are they looking to use him as a trade piece in a rebuild?

Nobody knows for sure. Our Gm will tell you one thing and it's 50/50 whether he'll follow through or do the exact opposite. There have been rumors parayko's on the block. But most Blues fans would say he is the one D we want to keep. I agree with that. Trading Parayko kills any hope of a retool. It would necessitate a rebuild. He shoulders a ridiculous defensive load.

I wanted Guhle because I think he'd make a great pair with Parayko Guhle wouldn't be out of place with the defense load but could provide a little better offensive/transition game to that pair. Parayko can carry the puck out like crazy, but he doesn't do it often. A lot of times his transition game is a bit mediocre. Leddy's done admirably, but ideally you'd like a better partner.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Nobody knows for sure. Our Gm will tell you one thing and it's 50/50 whether he'll follow through or do the exact opposite. There have been rumors parayko's on the block. But most Blues fans would say he is the one D we want to keep. I agree with that. Trading Parayko kills any hope of a retool. It would necessitate a rebuild. He shoulders a ridiculous defensive load.

I wanted Guhle because I think he'd make a great pair with Parayko Guhle wouldn't be out of place with the defense load but could provide a little better offensive/transition game to that pair. Parayko can carry the puck out like crazy, but he doesn't do it often. A lot of times his transition game is a bit mediocre. Leddy's done admirably, but ideally you'd like a better partner.
That's the exact reason why i would have interest in Parayko. He would be the perfect partner for Guhle on the top pairing.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Would you do both?

I'd consider it. This would be an offseason deal, so where that pick falls changes things.
If we lose every game here on out and pick 6th, that is a lot different than 15th.

It's more than I'd like to pay.
But it's rare you can acquire a top pair LD without doing that. I'd definitely haggle for a lesser pick back but for message board purposes, yea, I'd probably do something around both if our pick is in the teens and that is what it takes

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'd consider it. This would be an offseason deal, so where that pick falls changes things.
If we lose every game here on out and pick 6th, that is a lot different than 15th.

But it's rare you can acquire a top pair LD without doing that. I'd definitely haggle for a lesser pick back but for message board purposes, yea, I'd probably do something around both if our pick is in the teens and that is what it takes
If you draft 13th, we can re-visit this trade. There's a guy we like may go 12-15th.

Or we can trade down? Habs currently draft 7th.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

What would you expect for Parayko?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad