Dreger: Kadri wants out if Calgary rebuilds.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The Caps need a scoring-line center, could take him on today, and not have to send back any cap due to Backstrom's LTIR status. Cap space is not a problem this year for Washington. He replaces the cap space NB was going to take up, with $2M to spare.

They are also probably more of a win-now team than most others and sit in second place in the Metro, with fewer GP than most teams. If there's a team that doesn't need to care about the outyears, because their rebuild is coming anyway, it's the Caps.

Shrug. Could be a fit.

6stringmofo

Mar 12, 2015
Ottawa
BS BS and more BS. if he wants to win NOW and demands a trade then ok, let him tear-up his contract and offer himself to a top team for league minimum in order for these top teams to afford him. but i think what he really wants is to have a top team throw out some of their own players in order to create cap room for him. Kadri accepted and signed his flames contract so SHUT THE F__K UP AND PLAY YOUR BEST FOR THE FLAMES. he is acting like a modern day women. " yes I married you but now I think I can do better so I am taking all the kids and the child support and half of everything you worked for all you life " because I WANT TO WIN NOW.
Geezus dude.

Reactions: Koolboss

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The Caps need a scoring-line center, could take him on today, and not have to send back any cap due to Backstrom's LTIR status. Cap space is not a problem this year for Washington. He replaces the cap space NB was going to take up, with $2M to spare.

They are also probably more of a win-now team than most others and sit in second place in the Metro, with fewer GP than most teams. If there's a team that doesn't need to care about the outyears, because their rebuild is coming anyway, it's the Caps.

Shrug. Could be a fit.
So what would Washington offer?

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
So he should lie? I don't see the big deal about being honest. If people used their brains they'd realize no player wants be apart of a rebuild, they all want to win and something would seriously be wrong with them if they didn't.
You should show loyalty to the team paying you. Maybe don't be such a meat head and reply with something negative. Instead of saying he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild he could have just said "I'm here to win".

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You should show loyalty to the team paying you. Maybe don't be such a meat head and reply with something negative. Instead of saying he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild he could have just said "I'm here to win".
Considering no quotes from him were actually given, he could have said that exact thing.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
It’s important to note that Dreger prefaced his tidbit about Kadri by saying the player wasn’t requesting a move or anything of the sort.

“Kadri signed that long-term deal as a free agent with the Calgary Flames,” Dreger said. “He wants to stay in Calgary and wants to win with the Flames, but if the Flames as an organization progress to a rebuild, he wouldn’t be interested in that and I think there would be others who are in a similar situation.”

"Player who is competitive doesn't like losing. Film at 11."

Reactions: Koolboss

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
No one is going to want Kadri. With that AAV + term, Calgary would have to retain like 50% to make it palatable to anyone.
Would need to be a mutually agreed upon termination.

Or Kadri can get loaded up on coke and beatup his wife while crossing into the US with a fake passport.

Reactions: viper0220

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

I see no issue with Kadri's comments. I 100% get why he wants to be in a winning franchise.

If he can't be moved that's also on him. He took too long of a contract. His own play is also a big part of why the Flames missed the playoffs last year and are horrible this year. He's one of the big contract forwards on the team, he's responsible for their lack of success. Specifically, him and Huberdeau were brought in to be game changers. Kadri has been much better lately, but there were many nights last year where he was floating.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He got his name on the cup and signed a contract that provides generational wealth for his family. He should be thrilled.

Every player wants to play on a competitive team but if he wanted to join a better team, maybe he shouldnt of been so greedy.

I'm starting to view the VGK model a little differently than I did. Being ruthless is the only way to go these days.

Yea like with the Marchy situation. They aren't going to overpay him just because he was a Misfit and a key part of their cup win, it has to make sense.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He can say he wants out as much as he wants. With that contract, it’s unlikely to happen. I have no sympathy for players who sign these long-term deals at the end of their careers. They know the risks.

Not to mention in his case he did so after winning the cup. So he reached the pinnacle of his career and cashed out.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
His awful play would be a big reason they would be forced to rebuild. The guy is delusional to think anyone would want him on his current contract.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I see no issue with Kadri's comments. I 100% get why he wants to be in a winning franchise.

If he can't be moved that's also on him. He took too long of a contract. His own play is also a big part of why the Flames missed the playoffs last year and are horrible this year. He's one of the big contract forwards on the team, he's responsible for their lack of success. Specifically, him and Huberdeau were brought in to be game changers. Kadri has been much better lately, but there were many nights last year where he was floating.
Maybe you specifically don't but many do. As you describe at best it comes off as tone deaf. He should be talking about his responsibility to being part of a winning team and not talking about not wanting to rebuild.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Well that's too f***in' bad, especially after the contract he signed.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's always interesting when a player with an expensive contract requests a trade. They know that reality. The implication is that the team bends over backwards by retaining and sacrificing value, all to serve the request. It doesn't matter how damaging that is. None of these players would sacrifice their contract to get out. So, the player stays

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

And we wonder why hockey interviews are so damn boring? Kadri gave his genuine opinion even if some of that has been misquoted since and "Waaaah, he's not showing loyalty!!"

He doesn't want to spend the last portion of his career playing for a rebuild team. Now part of their lackluster performance is on him. But there's plenty of blame to go around.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
And we wonder why hockey interviews are so damn boring? Kadri gave his genuine opinion even if some of that has been misquoted since and "Waaaah, he's not showing loyalty!!"

He doesn't want to spend the last portion of his career playing for a rebuild team. Now part of their lackluster performance is on him. But there's plenty of blame to go around.
The funny thing is it's not even Flames fans making a big deal out of it.

But dude is in his 30s and a pro athlete, of course he doesn't want to be apart of a rebuild, no one in his situation would. It's basic common sense.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
You look at situations like this, and then think of guys like Chandler Stephenson doing all he does for $2.5 million.

Honestly, Kadri would likely be easier to move than some people would think. He looks much better at $6 million, if they retained a million. They’d likely still get some value. Now, in two years, maybe not so much anymore.

He’s obviously much easier to move than Huberdeau would be.

First though…. They need to figure out Lindholm before anything else goes down with their forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad