Dreger: Kadri wants out if Calgary rebuilds.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Kadri is not a negative value asset.
Not right now, but in a few years he likely will be. With the Flames needing a rebuild/retool and being capped out. Moving Kadri gives cap space flexibility with other trades needed for that. Its a perfect opportunity with WSH wanting a C and CGY needing to retool. It could be draft pick(s) but the goal would be for CGY to not take salary back

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
You look at situations like this, and then think of guys like Chandler Stephenson doing all he does for $2.5 million.

Honestly, Kadri would likely be easier to move than some people would think. He looks much better at $6 million, if they retained a million. They’d likely still get some value. Now, in two years, maybe not so much anymore.

He’s obviously much easier to move than Huberdeau would be.

First though…. They need to figure out Lindholm before anything else goes down with their forwards.

This was my first thought as well.

Reactions: Petes2424

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I mean if they would eat 1.5 this summer that's a decent asset but I don't know if they'd sign themselves up for that especially when a buyout of the last year or two remains a likelihood

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
And we wonder why hockey interviews are so damn boring? Kadri gave his genuine opinion even if some of that has been misquoted since and "Waaaah, he's not showing loyalty!!"

He doesn't want to spend the last portion of his career playing for a rebuild team. Now part of their lackluster performance is on him. But there's plenty of blame to go around.
Why are hockey interviews boring for you? Because when a player signs for the 2nd highest cap hit on the team long term and then says if things get tough he wants to get going? And people are seeing that as a little disloyal and hypocritical? Are you looking for players to say controversial things and expect hockey fans to just shrug their shoulders and ignore it? That seems a little silly and unrealistic.

What was the real quote?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

"Player who is competitive doesn't like losing. Film at 11."

I don’t know why Calgary wouldn’t do a heavy retool?

If not where’s the development going to come from?
Their core which heavily is build around 30y olds is not suddenly going to get any better

Reactions: MikeK

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Who the hell is going to take that contract? He’s got 5 years left after this one… CGY will have to add some super sweeteners

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I think they may be able to move him if they retained and weren't looking to capitalize on the return. However, given his age, the amount of years and dollars still left on his contract, I'd say it wouldn't be as easy as some might believe. Most teams are right up against the cap and adding that contract wouldn't be easy. I certainly wouldn't expect to see anything mid season. That is a deal made in the offseason.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
giphy.gif

I wish these guys would just shutup and play. It seems like every Canadian team in particular always has some perpetual locker room bullshit melodrama going on.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Kadri has used his vampire powers and looks good with the two rookies.
Huberdeau looks good with the old man line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad