TSN Radio Kadri odd man out?

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
LOL this is the dumbest thing I've heard today. Glad you are not the GM of the Leafs

Kadri out 4.5M
equal value in 4.5M (assuming this exists)

Nylander 8 million

WTF did you even do? one can achieve the same result by keeping kadri and giving nylander 8 million dollars and screwing the cap. LOL

Seriously LOL

Never said anything about paying wm 8M.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Kadri is exceeding his contract with back to back 30 goal seasons. JVR just signed for 7 million and Kadri is much more valuable IMO.
There aren’t many better contracts in the NHL than Kadri,Rielly.

There is a couple if similarly great contracts on most teams. But yeah, Kadri and especially Rielly are on great deals from a Leafs POV.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
There is a couple if similarly great contracts on most teams. But yeah, Kadri and especially Rielly are on great deals from a Leafs POV.
Luck plays some part in it as well.
No way you are getting MacKinnon and Sheif on their current deals.
Even at that, Winnipeg is going to have some hard decisions with Laine,Connor and Trouba. Probably can’t keep them all.

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
Kadri is exceeding his contract with back to back 30 goal seasons. JVR just signed for 7 million and Kadri is much more valuable IMO.
There aren’t many better contracts in the NHL than Kadri,Rielly.

I hate contributing to these stupid trade kadri threads honestly. Too many trolls at work here.

The home town discount those two took is the biggest reason we can afford to add guys like tavares and marleau and still try to sign our top prospects. Not to mention the adaptability naz has shown in terms of role and ice time over the years. His play coupled to his contract currently places him in the untouchable group of players if the leafs truly want to contend in the coming years.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I hate contributing to these stupid trade kadri threads honestly. Too many trolls at work here.

The home town discount those two took is the biggest reason we can afford to add guys like tavares and marleau and still try to sign our top prospects. Not to mention the adaptability naz has shown in terms of role and ice time over the years. His play coupled to his contract currently places him in the untouchable group of players if the leafs truly want to contend in the coming years.

At the time when they signed their deals it was seen as fair market deals. None of them took a discount for the team. In Kadris case it was even a question if he would be signed at all or traded since he struggled to take the next step.
With Rielly it was a bit different. He had already shown in spells that he had it all a player needs to be succesful, he just had not put it all together yet.
So in Kadris case he was looking down the abyss while Rielly was on the right track, just not there yet. Impressed by both players to improve as players.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If it means keeping Nylander yes.

Why do I need to make a proposal? Since you want one here it is.
I propose you run the team since you know so much. Not much else to say really

LOL. Moving out one of our best "bang for the buck" players isn't the way to go when you're in a cap squeeze. And the reason I asked you for a proposal that made sense is that if you thought about you might come to realize this.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Kadri > Nylander. Nylander is the replacement with a much higher ceiling.

And looking at his “30 goals” means nothing. He’s small, slow, doesn’t drive his line, negative plus minus and doesn’t even play on the power play. So if your looking at his 30 goals and giving up more goals which negates the ones he’s scored what are you actually left with?

So we give up a $4.5 mil 30 goal scorer match up center for a $7 mil or $8 mil 20 goal scorer.

You want to anoint Willie as a 3rd line center, I refuse to make this a Kadri vs Willie thread, do you plan on firing Babcock too? Willie does not have the skill set (desire?) to play center on a Mike Babcock team. In Kadri's role he plays vs the toughest competition every game and still scores 30. Do you want Willie matched up against McDavid, Bergeron, Crosby?

Willie as center? I'm sure it sounds like a good idea in your head but apply it to real world conditions and you will quickly see that would be an absolute horror of an experiment.

Plus minus is a meaningless stat.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Trade Kadri. Sell high. Kadri doesn’t do anything special that can’t be replaced within. Well maybe his mouth...Nylander is a high end High ceiling talent. With Mathews and Tavares being solid 2 way Centers they both can match up against top lines and you can shelter Nylander at center. And if you don’t want him playing center you can load a line and put him on the wing. His possession stats are good as a winger they will be even better with him playing center

Thank God you aren't the GM

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
At one point years ago, a poster suggested paying Kadri 8M.

And here with inflation and a better talent, we quibble over 6-8 million.

I remember that poster, he wasn't too knowledgeable about hockey but then again a rock does not know its a rock, amiright? What ever happened to that guy? I enjoy his alternative facts "perspective".

Reactions: Pookie

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Darren Dreger stirring nuggets again this morning

https://www.tsn.ca/video/an-nhl-executive-s-theory-could-kadri-be-the-odd-man-out-in-toronto~1524159

So he thinks it makes sense to trade the 30 goal scoring centre with great cap hit in order to keep the 20 goal scoring winger with a much bigger cap hit?

And Colaiacovo agrees that the cap hit makes him appealing to other teams.

"you're absolutely right" :ha::huh::help:
Yeah mayne, thats appealing to us too. :biglaugh: Still twerkin winning and scoring these otha clowns down! Others might be jelious, but don't be alarmed brothers and sisters. We got this thang correctamundo. Let others talk, we play with that small black puck. Real hard.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
So we are all bound by one poster's crazy take?

Good to know.

Some of his great opinions

"Leafs are tire pumping him to trade him"
Zack Kassian and Nazem Kadri are comparables using a chart"
"Nazem Kadri is a role player"
"Bringing up events from 3 years ago even if Kadri has matured since then"
"Tomas Plekanec has replaced Kadri"

Many more

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Some of his great opinions

"Leafs are tire pumping him to trade him"
Zack Kassian and Nazem Kadri are comparables using a chart"
"Nazem Kadri is a role player"
"Bringing up events from 3 years ago even if Kadri has matured since then"
"Tomas Plekanec has replaced Kadri"

Many more

"Interchangeable with Bozak."

"Easily replaceable one dimensional 32 point centre."

"Not a Babcock type player."

"Muffin of a shot".

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
"Interchangeable with Bozak."

"Easily replaceable one dimensional 32 point centre."

"Not a Babcock type player."

"Muffin of a shot".
Yup this as well
All though when the muffin shot post came up, me and others started to use it as a joke.
When he would score, we would say another muffin by Kadri.

Its also funny that Kadri is one of Babcock's favorites on the team. He likes compete so it isnt surprising that he loves Kadri.

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
At the time when they signed their deals it was seen as fair market deals. None of them took a discount for the team. In Kadris case it was even a question if he would be signed at all or traded since he struggled to take the next step.
With Rielly it was a bit different. He had already shown in spells that he had it all a player needs to be succesful, he just had not put it all together yet.
So in Kadris case he was looking down the abyss while Rielly was on the right track, just not there yet. Impressed by both players to improve as players.

Doesn't change the fact that those contracts are too good to be true as it stands now.

Also considering the shambles the team was in at the time and the way our coaches had treated younger players, it was a big decision by both to sign long term that too at avg market value and not hold out like nylander is doing to get the trade talks going. Although i understand money plays a major role and rightfully so, but the deal is much easier to make when you have players that are truly committed to the city and team, and i see that in rielly and naz.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Doesn't change the fact that those contracts are too good to be true as it stands now.

Also considering the shambles the team was in at the time and the way our coaches had treated younger players, it was a big decision by both to sign long term that too at avg market value and not hold out like nylander is doing to get the trade talks going. Although i understand money plays a major role and rightfully so, but the deal is much easier to make when you have players that are truly committed to the city and team, and i see that in rielly and naz.

Well, it is still a fact that neither took a home town discount. They signed fair deals with the team. Nothing more, nothing less. But yes, of course it helps if the players really want to stay with the team. Kadri him self had a little contract dispute with the previous contract, even do that was settled in time for camp, so not the same as with Nylander.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I remember that poster, he wasn't too knowledgeable about hockey but then again a rock does not know its a rock, amiright? What ever happened to that guy? I enjoy his alternative facts "perspective".
That house you live in is very pretty, but I'm not sure all glass is a good choice for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00