Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I’m not bashing Ros, but if Chytil comes back in, during this series, I sit him rather than Rempe against Wash. it’s a good problem to have more players you want in the lineup than you can fit. It’s not a knock on anyone. It’s just about the best lineup for the situation. Against Carolina? I might leave Ros in and take out Matt.
Yep. I think this whole scenario is tracking out too.

Reactions: bhamill

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Rempe will likely hang on for this series and maybe the plan is to take him out and insert Chytil if they get to the Canes series, because that braun for skill swap makes sense, match-up wise.

I like the idea of a Goodrow-Wennberg-Vesey 4th line. Really solid shutdown vibes there. You also save yourself from the seemingly daily PK or two resulting in the refs paying too close attention to Rempe. As effective and fun as he is in the lineup, they are watching his every move and its just the hard truth they are looking to stick him in the box on anything thats close. His elbows are at nose-level, whether thats his fault or not. Hes already got what, 3 minors in 2 games? If you can avoid that against the Canes, that would be ideal.

Panarin-Trocheck-Laf
Kreider-Zibanejad-Roslovic
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Goodrow-Wennberg-Vesey

I also think Roslovic is the weakest link but he showed he's the type of player who's one shot away from ending a close game and you cant igorne that. I wouldnt be against sliding Cuylle to the 4th either, but I like Wennberg in the middle. Just let Goodrow take the draws because hes 10% better over the dot. Thats the strongest the Rangers have been down the middle in recent memory.

I'd be fine with that lineup too. It seems like it's either Roslovic or Rempe coming out when Chytil eventually returns. For the time being, I like what Rempe is bringing to the table. He's working hard to refine his game and keep himself out of the box as much as possible while still being physical.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
With Kreider/Zibby having their mojo working, I’m wondering if Lavi gives Kakko another shot on their RW.
He doesn’t have the speed of Roslovic, but he does everything else better but skate.
Plus he’s picked up his emotion level imo. Shooting the puck, making moves with authority, even mixing it up with caps players. And he doesn’t usually do that.

But then what to do with the rest?

3rd line of Cuylle/chytil/wennberg/roslovic???
Does Rempe come out and Wennberg slide between goodie and vesey on 4th?

Does he unite Cuylle-chytil-Kakko which we’ve all been waiting for???

Lavi has a lot of combos to choose from.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Rempe will likely hang on for this series and maybe the plan is to take him out and insert Chytil if they get to the Canes series, because that braun for skill swap makes sense, match-up wise.

I like the idea of a Goodrow-Wennberg-Vesey 4th line. Really solid shutdown vibes there. You also save yourself from the seemingly daily PK or two resulting in the refs paying too close attention to Rempe. As effective and fun as he is in the lineup, they are watching his every move and its just the hard truth they are looking to stick him in the box on anything thats close. His elbows are at nose-level, whether thats his fault or not. Hes already got what, 3 minors in 2 games? If you can avoid that against the Canes, that would be ideal.

Panarin-Trocheck-Laf
Kreider-Zibanejad-Roslovic
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Goodrow-Wennberg-Vesey

I also think Roslovic is the weakest link but he showed he's the type of player who's one shot away from ending a close game and you cant igorne that. I wouldnt be against sliding Cuylle to the 4th either, but I like Wennberg in the middle. Just let Goodrow take the draws because hes 10% better over the dot. Thats the strongest the Rangers have been down the middle in recent memory.

I really liked Roslovic’s game last night so I’m starting to think he should stay where he is. Having Zibanejad and Kreider raise their games several notches probably helps too.

So either take out Rempe or maybe rest Wennberg. Wennberg has been off and might be nursing an injury.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I really liked Roslovic’s game last night so I’m starting to think he should stay where he is. Having Zibanejad and Kreider raise their games several notches probably helps too.

So either take out Rempe or maybe rest Wennberg. Wennberg has been off and might be nursing an injury.
There are things we’ve seen from Roslovic after he sniped that cheese missle that we normally wouldn’t before it.

Maybe he’s settling into the system and isn’t thinking as much. Little confidence doesn’t hurt. Hopefully its coming at the right time.

Callafan24

Sep 22, 2010
New York City
Love how the current 3rd line is playing. If we make it and face Carolina, I don't see Rempe coming out of the lineup. Not until we lose a game or two.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If anyone has a video of KKs breakaway Id like to take a second look at it. Glad he got us rolling tonight. Scoring first was important since the Caps had motivation.

Reactions: Rongomania

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
If anyone has a video of KKs breakaway Id like to take a second look at it. Glad he got us rolling tonight. Scoring first was important since the Caps had motivation.

He's undoubtedly not very quick, but he squeezed thru the 2 D and had to gather himself which allowed Lapierre to get a head start as far as acceleration goes and he's just a much faster skater than Kakko, so he quickly caught up.

Kakko needs to work on his conditioning and his explosiveness. It's really what's holding his offense back IMO. Very happy he got the goal tonight and he's been good otherwise. Just something to work on for next year.

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
bern's take:
should NOT be dealt unless signif overpayment on table, too much to turn down

this guy obv not an overnight star, but has high upside that is slowly being released
demonstrated a win, not a fail, w/kid line featuring lesser version of LaF
now obv chem w/Cuylle
they need a pivot

Barring unreal offer, would be stupid to deal KK esp if for win now help which win now 99% of the time = epic fail, and instead should just pair these Ws w/Chytil, or if he is out, best possible alternate(s). I say give Edstrom a shot if Chyi is no go

Reactions: mas0764

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Yeah, Kakko can't be moved for rentals or a middle six guy, because he already IS a middle six guy.

If someone is offering a young top line player or young top 6 center I'm listening, even if it's as part of a package (say, Kakko and a first going out for a young center).

But otherwise I still think Kakko has 50 point and excellent defense first line potential.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
hes weird in that he clearly has explosiveness in tight quarters and along the boards, but that doesnt translate into power skating straight line speed. if he ever gets that extra step in a long sprint he would be so much more dangerous.

Sisu4ever

Jan 6, 2020
hes weird in that he clearly has explosiveness in tight quarters and along the boards, but that doesnt translate into power skating straight line speed. if he ever gets that extra step in a long sprint he would be so much more dangerous.
I would assume he is aware of that and will work on it this summer. If he can improve on his speed, he would be very good for rangers next season.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yeah, Kakko can't be moved for rentals or a middle six guy, because he already IS a middle six guy.

If someone is offering a young top line player or young top 6 center I'm listening, even if it's as part of a package (say, Kakko and a first going out for a young center).

But otherwise I still think Kakko has 50 point and excellent defense first line potential.
this ^, but w/caveat potential of player acquired signif > than KK potential

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Kakko is frustrating, simply because he doesn’t have that extra gear so the production is not there all the time. But he’s been so good during the playoffs, he’s a guy you trust every time he’s on the ice that he’s going to make it an extremely difficult shift for the opposing team whether it’s in the offensive zone, stopping their transition game or being hard on pucks in the defensive zone. Extremely happy with his play.l

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
That was not only a super clutch goal, but a gosh darn perfect goal and release. Roofed ‘er.
That was a very important goal but to keep playing we probably need more production out of that 3rd line.

In 4 games (Will-Wenberg-KK) had 1 goal and 0 assists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad