Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Thanks!

I actually do enjoy the conversations and constructive debates with you!

100%, and in past years quite honestly laffy couldn't keep up with bread. I dont care about spurt stats for skating, but even from a conditioning standpoint he looked exhausted midway through games and he couldn't stay at panarin's pace through out shifts. That is all due to laffy's work and improvement during the summer and he deserves the credit!

This…. There was just an article on nhl.com about panarin in the mvp race.
1 of the off questions was about laf.
They stated his skating which is vastly improved since last season, was 1 of the stated goals he dedicated himself to in the offseason/end of last year….
I mean, just watching the kid this year, you can tell his footwork is night and day from where it was….
Prior seasons he got no separation. His legs were obviously a weak point of his game.
Don’t need to be a scout/coach to see that…..
His legs are giving more time to make plays with the puck, and as you stated his stamina is also vastly improved……..
That was the main difference between him and a guy like Hughes ( whose skating was better) acclimating to the nhl pace faster…..
Laf will never have Hughes top end speed, but he also doesn’t need to. Both have sick hands and good heads on their shoulders for the game as well.
Hughes main concern is can his body/small frame take the beating of NHL 82 gm/playoff season?
He’s already had his share of injuries to deal with and this year they shut him down early for shoulder surgery……

• Love
Reactions: bleedblue94

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Kakko has been sneaky positive out there.

He's skating with conviction. Breaking up plays, throwing the body around. Getting pucks to the net with authority. I dont mind the sharp angle ones either. They are the ones that wind up bouncing around and going in.

He gets it and he knows how to play that role well. He and Wennberg really play off each other well and you feel safe with them out there. Even thus far which is fine. He's got a big goal in him somewhere down the line here. Wennberg had a great chance in Game 2 and it was all from Kakkos work

I'd like to see him try to pull up on some of those rushes up the right wing and look for Cuylle in the slot. Hes lurking there and has already got off several shots. Hes going to get one or two sooner or later with that heater he has.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
He's been great. All three have been great. Nice to see Lavi using him on other lines late in the game protecting a lead. At some point the pucks are going to start going in for him and then look out.

Reactions: noncents and bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
He has looked good. Even threw his body around last night in a good way. Really smart in all three zones making the right plays. I know its a broken record but just hope he puts up some points.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I dont think it would be the worst idea to move him on the first line next game. He looks f***ing HUNGRY out there.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
He has looked good. Even threw his body around last night in a good way. Really smart in all three zones making the right plays. I know its a broken record but just hope he puts up some points.

Perpetually close to scoring, perpetually.

Reactions: bhamill

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Really hoping he pots 1 just to get his confidence up. Cuylle too for that matter. Both guys are playing well and deserve better results.
If we can’t get a goal out of there 3rd line here and there, this team won’t advance. Just plain and simple

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
He's playing with an edge and that is how he needs to play. There is also more confidence with the puck on his stick.

Still think if you put Chytil on that line, they're going to get very productive. Love Cuylle, but he's not there yet. They'll need him on the 4th for the Canes cause I can't see Rempe playing all those games.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
He's playing with an edge and that is how he needs to play. There is also more confidence with the puck on his stick.

Still think if you put Chytil on that line, they're going to get very productive. Love Cuylle, but he's not there yet. They'll need him on the 4th for the Canes cause I can't see Rempe playing all those games.
Putting Fil on that line makes it so much more dangerous. Nothing against Cuylle he’s been good. But if we’re gonna make a run getting Fil back is going to hr important.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Kakko and Cuylle have both looked great so far. Wennberg looks like he's along for the ride, but I can't help but think that they could generate some real offense with Chytil in the middle rather than Wennberg. Chytil fits their cycling style more and is a much better goal scorer.

Who comes out if you put Chytil there? I'm still going to say Roslovic.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Vesey
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Goodrow-Wennberg-Rempe

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Good article by Brooks
WASHINGTON — One of the more intriguing aspects of the Rangers’ record-setting regular season is that only a select few of their players had career years. That leaves room for growth within the lineup that finished with the NHL’s best record. There is room for players to restate their cases. There is opportunity to create a new narrative.

“I feel that’s the way everyone has to think. There are guys who are having great seasons already but for myself, I have to think that I can change something in the playoffs and that will make the difference,” Kaapo Kakko told The Post in advance of Friday’s Game 3 against the Capitals. “You don’t look at stats, you need to win four games. That’s all that matters.

“We won the Presidents’ Trophy but if we don’t go far, who cares?”

The Rangers did the required by sweeping the opening two at the Garden against their eighth-seeded opponents but did not dominate and did not put on a show of force that would have left the Caps quaking. Instead, Washington was banging on the door at the end of Game 2. The Blueshirts have some work to do in D.C. this weekend.

Kakko has work to do as he completes his fifth season after ping-ponging into his second-overall selection in the 2019 draft. Five seasons already for the 23-year-old, who is coming up on restricted free agency for the second time in the last three summers, though this time with arbitration rights.

That’s for a couple of months from now, though. It’s on hold, though No. 24 can sure increase his value over these next couple of months after coming off a season in which he missed 21 games early and finished with 13 goals and six assists in 61 games. Two years ago, he missed nearly half the year with injuries. He’s played an NHL total of 300 games with 57 goals and 60 assists

Five years in and in many ways it feels as if Kakko’s career hasn’t really begun. But Kakko’s big-bodied, straight-line, responsible two-way philosophy is built for the playoffs. Way back in the 2020 bubble experience in Toronto, Kakko was perhaps the club’s best player as a rookie in the three-game sweep by Carolina. He did the job on the right side of the Kid Line during the 2022 run.

Kakko bounced back-and-forth from the presumptive top line centered by Mika Zibanejad to the third line that was centered at different times by Nick Bonino, Jonny Brodzinksi and Barclay Goodrow before Alex Wennberg assumed the assignment upon being acquired from Seattle at the deadline.

The Will Cuylle-Wennberg-Kakko combination has been intact for the final seven games of the regular season and the opening two games of the tournament.

“I think Kaapo was playing his best hockey down the stretch and over the last 20 games of the season,” head coach Peter Laviolette said. “You’d like to see that translate through to the playoffs.

“You need to use your size and your physicality, if he has the puck on his stick it’s difficult to get off of him, and he can create from there. His line has done that.

“I do think this is an opportunity for him to continue where he was at the end of the regular season. If you have a long run and he has a stint like he does the last 20 games, it does change the look of the season.”

Kakko averaged 13:17 of ice time per, 2:01 below last year, 1:00 under the previous lowest of his career established as a rookie. The Finn, who is on the second power-play unit but does not kill penalties, often refers to his ice time when assessing his performance. That, though, is not a concern for the playoffs.

“I don’t know how much I talk about that, but it’s the coach’s choice. He puts the guys on the ice he thinks are going to make the difference,” said Kakko, who got 11:44 and 11:45, respectively in Games 1 and 2. “As a player you understand and think about the best for the team.

“When I get onto the ice, I do my best and that’s all I can do. All of the guys are thinking that way. No one is thinking about the minutes. It’s easier if you play all the time, but there’s only one thing and that is the team..”

Kakko, Cuylle and Wennberg often surrounded the net. The next objective is to get the puck to the net. The objective after that is to put the puck in the net. Creating and winning battles are vital because the playoffs are a battle of attrition.

“I feel my game is playoff hockey,” Kakko said. “You know the series can be seven games so guys can become more tired if you can keep the puck in the O-zone and wear them down behind the net, in the corners, fighting for the puck.

“We want to create chances down low and keep it there. I think our line is a good match for the playoffs. We want to contribute. I want to contribute.”

He wants to flip the script. He wants a rewrite. Year 5, yearning for his close-up.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Kakko and Cuylle have both looked great so far. Wennberg looks like he's along for the ride, but I can't help but think that they could generate some real offense with Chytil in the middle rather than Wennberg. Chytil fits their cycling style more and is a much better goal scorer.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Vesey
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Goodrow-Wennberg-Rempe
Rempe will likely hang on for this series and maybe the plan is to take him out and insert Chytil if they get to the Canes series, because that braun for skill swap makes sense, match-up wise.

I like the idea of a Goodrow-Wennberg-Vesey 4th line. Really solid shutdown vibes there. You also save yourself from the seemingly daily PK or two resulting in the refs paying too close attention to Rempe. As effective and fun as he is in the lineup, they are watching his every move and its just the hard truth they are looking to stick him in the box on anything thats close. His elbows are at nose-level, whether thats his fault or not. Hes already got what, 3 minors in 2 games? If you can avoid that against the Canes, that would be ideal.

Panarin-Trocheck-Laf
Kreider-Zibanejad-Roslovic
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Goodrow-Wennberg-Vesey

I also think Roslovic is the weakest link but he showed he's the type of player who's one shot away from ending a close game and you cant igorne that. I wouldnt be against sliding Cuylle to the 4th either, but I like Wennberg in the middle. Just let Goodrow take the draws because hes 10% better over the dot. Thats the strongest the Rangers have been down the middle in recent memory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kodiak and noncents

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Rempe will likely hang on for this series and maybe the plan is to take him out and insert Chytil if they get to the Canes series, because that braun for skill swap makes sense, match-up wise.

I like the idea of a Goodrow-Wennberg-Vesey 4th line. Really solid shutdown vibes there. You also save yourself from the seemingly daily PK or two resulting in the refs paying too close attention to Rempe. As effective and fun as he is in the lineup, they are watching his every move and its just the hard truth they are looking to stick him in the box on anything thats close. His elbows are at nose-level, whether thats his fault or not.

Panarin-Trocheck-Laf
Kreider-Zibanejad-Roslovic
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Goodrow-Wennberg-Vesey

I also think Roslovic is the weakest link but he showed he's the type of player who's one shot away from ending a close game and you cant igorne that. I wouldnt be against sliding Cuylle to the 4th either, but I like Wennberg in the middle. Just let Goodrow take the draws because hes 10% better over the dot. Thats the strongest the Rangers have been down the middle in recent memory.
that's my lineup as well, especially with the 4th line FO caveat. if rempe is required, sit ros a game and bump vesey up to KZ line.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
that article references kakko not killing pens and its strange that he doesnt. he seems like he would be an idea penalty killer with his skill set.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
that article references kakko not killing pens and its strange that he doesnt. he seems like he would be an idea penalty killer with his skill set.
kakko fans have been begging for PK mins for kakko (and chytil) for 3 years

How does Roslovic get bashed nonstop when he has scored 1.86 pts/60 as a Ranger with positive on ice numbers in nearly every category? Because he's not Jake Guentzel?
bashed? i think once chytil comes back he's still in my ideal lineup, rempe comes out.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012

Kreider-Zibanejad-Vesey
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Goodrow-Wennberg-Rempe
This is what I would do as well.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
How does Roslovic get bashed nonstop when he has scored 1.86 pts/60 as a Ranger with positive on ice numbers in nearly every category? Because he's not Jake Guentzel?
I’m not bashing Ros, but if Chytil comes back in, during this series, I sit him rather than Rempe against Wash. it’s a good problem to have more players you want in the lineup than you can fit. It’s not a knock on anyone. It’s just about the best lineup for the situation. Against Carolina? I might leave Ros in and take out Matt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad