Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
They have played a total of four games together as a line, all in in the shortened 2021 season, of which 2 games were against the Flyers and 2 games against the Sabres. The Sabres were the worst team in the league and the Flyers were bad. I would take zero from that.

You can take whatever you want from it, I’m certainly not forcing you

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Yeah but he’s not going to get the opportunities here. 3rd line is his ceiling because that’s the only place they’ll play him. Because it’s his fault that CK and Zibanejad play like dogshit when he’s on their wing
The line numbers do not have to pigeon hole guys. Our third line of Zooks, Brass and Pouliet showed that. KK has played with a lot of talented forwards over the years. CK, Zibs, Bread, Strome, Vince, Chytil, Laffy, etc. If KK puts in the work on his skating and motor he can still take large steps forward in his career. I hope he does.

Reactions: bhamill

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Yeah but he’s not going to get the opportunities here. 3rd line is his ceiling because that’s the only place they’ll play him. Because it’s his fault that CK and Zibanejad play like dogshit when he’s on their wing
Could be. Guess we will see.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
His line had some good shifts last night. There was one play (in the second?) where Kakko had the puck with a little space in the high slot, & he got the puck to Wennberg, who had an open net but did not convert. You could see Kakko trying to create time for Wennberg to move to the right place (out from behind the net).

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If I was Kakko, I would Krazy Glue myself to Laf's trainer this offseason.
I agree. Id really like to see what KK could do if he had a quicker skating start and an improved motor. Those are keys to the rest of his career imo. Not coaches. Not teammates. Get quicker starts and an improved motor. Then look out 😊

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
KK has a very good shot...so shoot more...plays die on the vine at times because he holds uc a little too long ate

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
KK has a very good shot...so shoot more...plays die on the vine at times because he holds uc a little too long ate
It does, and sometimes I think it does because he’s trying to do too much with it, or he can’t find a lane because no one else is moving and cycling.

Reactions: cheech70 and CLW

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Kakko isn’t going to be the guy in on the forecheck first. It’s not has game. He excels at deflecting and intercepting picks and winning puck battles down low. It’s why he and Cuylle actually play well together. It’s also partially why his offense has come back around after he came back and got away from Zibanejad and Kreider who don’t play that style.

I really do like Wennberg with those two guys. He can get in on the forecheck but he doesn’t need the puck.

Reactions: noncents

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Kakko isn’t going to be the guy in on the forecheck first. It’s not has game. He excels at deflecting and intercepting picks and winning puck battles down low. It’s why he and Cuylle actually play well together. It’s also partially why his offense has come back around after he came back and got away from Zibanejad and Kreider who don’t play that style.

I really do like Wennberg with those two guys. He can get in on the forecheck but he doesn’t need the puck.
I like Wennberg until he gets the puck in the offensive zone. Dude has zero offensive IQ. Solid hands, good speed, but when he scored it’s always pure luck.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I like Wennberg until he gets the puck in the offensive zone. Dude has zero offensive IQ. Solid hands, good speed, but when he scored it’s always pure luck.

Wennberg is awesome at handling and retrieving the puck. Perfect fit for a line with 2 big wingers who can score. They need to extend him with question marks around Chytil.

Newborn kid and he says it’s a dream come true to play here, that’s the type of guy you want to keep around. If Chytil comes back (I’m optimistic) throw him on Mika and Kreider’s RW

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

I thought Wennberg showed signs of improving o-zone positioning last game. He's been shooting too. Hopefully the coaches can... dare I say it, coach him. Wennberg has a great opportunity here to make the last legs of his career really meaningful. The Cuylle-Wennberg-Kakko line can be really good, it's a bit unfortunate they haven't had too many games to work up chemistry and delete kinks.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I thought Wennberg showed signs of improving o-zone positioning last game. He's been shooting too. Hopefully the coaches can... dare I say it, coach him. Wennberg has a great opportunity here to make the last legs of his career really meaningful. The Cuylle-Wennberg-Kakko line can be really good, it's a bit unfortunate they haven't had too many games to work up chemistry and delete kinks.
I’m not saying he can’t improve, but he’s also not a 22 year old who’s under performing.
The puck does on his stick a lot in the offensive zone, and I think a lot of it is he just doesn’t know what to really do with it, and that’s a fatal flaw for a 27 year old center.

Also I do like cuylle and Kakko, but I’d like to give 50-93-24 a shot too.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I’m not saying he can’t improve, but he’s also not a 22 year old who’s under performing.
The puck does on his stick a lot in the offensive zone, and I think a lot of it is he just doesn’t know what to really do with it, and that’s a fatal flaw for a 27 year old center.

My point was that I saw improvement in that aspect last game. Hopefully it was a sign of things to come and Peca and Muse can help sort out his o-zone issues with him.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
My point was that I saw improvement in that aspect last game. Hopefully it was a sign of things to come and Peca and Muse can help sort out his o-zone issues with him.
Sure, but we all saw that absolutely gorgeous feed from kakko that just died on his stick right?

Reactions: Cuckoo4Kakko

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
this is kinda why i think the 3L could be a great fit in the playoffs. The checking is so tight it's less about what can you do with space and time and more can you recover the puck in the ozone and get to the net for lucky bounces.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Yeah he’s useless offensively. At least Roslovic can occasionally create something.
I honestly haven't seen much of that either. Roslovic can skate, but he seems to not understand how to really create offense and is more passive than someone with his speed should be.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The flaw in your interpretation of my comments is that it’s not a binary “either or” choice. And I never said it was. It’s a combination. If you’re a terrible skater confidence won’t make you a great skater. But if you have no confidence you don’t fully realize your abilities. You could have all the ability in the world but if you are second guessing yourself you won’t play to your potential. If you’ve ever played a sport you know what I’m talking about. If you have no confidence you will not play to your abilities. Everyone knows if you’re inside your own head you’re going to play badly. I’m not sure why this is such a point of contention, to be perfectly honest.
What do you think changed in Laf between pre season and the regular season? His physical abilities or his confidence and mindset?
I have and the thing is that players that have a skill that has an established high point can slump in that skill with confidence such as a shooter (zib) for instance. Confidence goes a long way. The issue is the established high end skill needs to be there first for confidence to have an effect on it. Fox can have a lot of confidence and it won't suddenly make him a good fighter. My point is that laffy put in work to improve his skating, it didn't just happen bc he's more confident in his game bc he's never skates as well as he has this year.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I have and the thing is that players that have a skill that has an established high point can slump in that skill with confidence such as a shooter (zib) for instance. Confidence goes a long way. The issue is the established high end skill needs to be there first for confidence to have an effect on it. Fox can have a lot of confidence and it won't suddenly make him a good fighter. My point is that laffy put in work to improve his skating, it didn't just happen bc he's more confident in his game bc he's never skates as well as he has this year.
I think we agree here. His skating improved every off season, according to Dube, especially the last, but it didn’t show until he had confidence. Which he didn’t have in preseason and started building in the regular season. If he had confidence last year he would have looked better last year too, almost certainly not as good as THIS season, but better than he looked last season, and I’m betting he looks even better NEXT season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad