Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Yeah, you guys need to chill. He was drafted. 3 months ago. So was Eric Ciccolini.

Fact is, it means horse shit now, and how is what he's saying bad. He could mean that Kakko can't get discouraged 'cause he's learning a new game, which is 100% true.

Reactions: haveandare

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
They refuse to adapt because the playoffs are a huge trap fest and the way to get past that is dumping and chasing and forechecking

Playoffs are a different story but playing like this the entire season will leave nothing in the tank by the time playoffs come. The quality of our shot attempts is arguably the worst, supported by the fact that we have the worst EV expected goal % in the league. I guess if we're treating this season as a pure developmental season with a top lottery pick as the prize then it sort of makes sense.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Playoffs are a different story but playing like this the entire season will leave nothing in the tank by the time playoffs come. The quality of our shot attempts is arguably the worst, supported by the fact that we have the worst EV expected goal % in the league. I guess if we're treating this season as a pure developmental season with a top lottery pick as the prize then it sort of makes sense.
I feel like people can only think of this season in a binary way: going for playoffs or tanking. If it’s going for the playoffs, this team is stupid because they suck. If it’s tanking then why are they stacking the top line and not putting kids in prominent roles? The reality is that it’s not binary and they’re slowly moving from one to the other. They know the next 10+ years is going to rely how all their young players and they’re letting these kids grow in roles that aren’t above their heads. For example, you want to get into body building, you don’t just go up and start trying to bench 500lbs, you do a bunch of reps with a weight you can handle and incrementally increase it

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I hate this. This isn’t like Gernander trying to turn everyone into the player he used to be; this is DQ saying you need to learn to adapt to the strategy the other team is employing. If they’re stacking the blue line, then dump the damn puck and go get it. If they’re playing a more open system, then by all means do your thing.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I feel like people can only think of this season in a binary way: going for playoffs or tanking. If it’s going for the playoffs, this team is stupid because they suck. If it’s tanking then why are they stacking the top line and not putting kids in prominent roles? The reality is that it’s not binary and they’re slowly moving from one to the other. They know the next 10+ years is going to rely how all their young players and they’re letting these kids grow in roles that aren’t above their heads. For example, you want to get into body building, you don’t just go up and start trying to bench 500lbs, you do a bunch of reps with a weight you can handle and incrementally increase it
There is no possible way of stating this any better. Well done, sir!

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
"He needs to understand that the game that got him here isn't the game he's gotta play here."

If this isn’t a horrifying thing to hear from the coach that is currently coaching your uberskilled 2nd overall draft pick, I don’t know what is. He was 2nd overall for a reason, don’t you dare suppress what got him there.
Or here's a thought. What worked for him in Liga, will probably not work for him in the NHL. This is why every prospect from the Q needs to change his game and does not simply dominate. There is nothing better than Quinn could have said.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What he needs is his stupid coach to remember this is a rebuild. Not a scrub playing farm. He needs his stupid coach to realize that Kakko, not Buchnevich is a cornerstone piece of this teams future and to do everything they can to develop him. That means playing him on the 1st line and 1st PP unit all year as long as the effort is there. That means putting the 7th pick in the draft who is a big part of this teams future in Andersson, who outplays Strome and Howden every game with limited minutes, on the second line with a Kreider and Buchnevich. That means sending Staal down to the minors if they can't trade him and playing Lindgren who is exactly the type of tough, stay at home defenseman we badly need on the left side. That means not playing Haley and McKegg. Try playing a Lettieri who I thought finally had the game slow down for him at the NHL level the last few games. Our coach came back this season and forgot to do his job which was to develop young players.
#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach.......and we wondered where you went.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Honestly I think he’s building. He’s been over-diligent defensively but the past couple games I’ve see flashes of his confidence with the puck it’s just taking time for him to get the timing down.

I’m not worried at all, in fact I think he’s going to slowly pick up the proper pace of play and then he get on a little bit of a hot streak. And when that happens it doesn’t matter to me

Reactions: lucky13

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
They refuse to adapt because the playoffs are a huge trap fest and the way to get past that is dumping and chasing and forechecking

It's almost like you need to have those skills to win in the end or something. It's always amazing that guys like AK can complain about coaches wanting their players to do certain things all while just flat out not realizing that those things are necessary later in the season in crunch time.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
With rare exceptions for McDavid, Matthews etc, even the high draftees need time to adjust at the NHL. Stamkos was close to being dealt by impatient ownership before taking off in the second half of his rookie season. Tavares, Hall, Seguine etc.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Then what are you saying? Please explain this:

Why do Finnish players keep getting ****ed by inept coaches? Infuriating.
I was simply frustrated when I typed that comment. I'm a shameless Kakko fan and I really want to see him play. In my view, Laine was mismanaged by Maurice for some time and I don't want the same to happen to Kakko.

Good news is that we're super early into the season and Kakko's career, so I'm sure changes will we made. I'm not saying that people's careers we're ruined simply due to poor coaching (like some insist on Puljujärvi's case) nor do I believe that some coaches have a bone to pick with Finnish players.

Let's hope Kakko gets his game going this evening!

Reactions: Lias Andersson

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Honestly I think he’s building. He’s been over-diligent defensively but the past couple games I’ve see flashes of his confidence with the puck it’s just taking time for him to get the timing down.

I’m not worried at all, in fact I think he’s going to slowly pick up the proper pace of play and then he get on a little bit of a hot streak. And when that happens it doesn’t matter to me

Agreed. I think he's also simplified his game a bit rather than trying to stick handle around everyone and is trying to pick his spots better which will be beneficial in the future. He's doing better and will continue to get better and the points will come. It's tough to be the guy picking up the team on your back when the whole team is strugglin

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I was simply frustrated when I typed that comment. I'm a shameless Kakko fan and I really want to see him play. In my view, Laine was mismanaged by Maurice for some time and I don't want the same to happen to Kakko.

Good news is that we're super early into the season and Kakko's career, so I'm sure changes will we made. I'm not saying that people's careers we're ruined simply due to poor coaching (like some insist on Puljujärvi's case) nor do I believe that some coaches have a bone to pick with Finnish players.

Let's hope Kakko gets his game going this evening!

I think Quinn is really trying to ease him in while also recognizing that he has elite talent and could be a huge help to the team. Hopefully by game 15 or so he's getting bigger more important minutes as well

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
I think Quinn is really trying to ease him in while also recognizing that he has elite talent and could be a huge help to the team. Hopefully by game 15 or so he's getting bigger more important minutes as well
From what I've seen, I'm fairly confident that that's the case. Kakko was promoted to PP1 today and you can see Quinn going over to talk to Kakko quite often.

Hopefully Rangers are able to sort themselves out by game 15 or so. I can just feel that Kakko's in for a hot streak once he gets himself settled.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Thought he had one of his best shifts of the season in the 3rd period today against the Nucks. He's showing signs of catching up to the pace of play which is good progress.
I definitely think he's very gradually been building. I think the biggest adjustments for him are the pace of the game and learning what will/won't work against defenders. IMO guys like Lemieux or Fast are players he could learn a lot from. Fast showed today the advantages of playing a hard, simple game over a skilled game. There's no bonus points for being fancy. I think Lias could be his best centerman right now; Stick Lemieux with them. People have to be patient though with regards to that. We're only 6 games in and already Strome and Kakko have been separated, and Kakko is playing on the PP1 and extra man. He's going to be a monster; Already one of the most dangerous forwards which is crazy.

Agreed. I think he's also simplified his game a bit rather than trying to stick handle around everyone and is trying to pick his spots better which will be beneficial in the future. He's doing better and will continue to get better and the points will come. It's tough to be the guy picking up the team on your back when the whole team is strugglin
This exactly. It's kind of like how they call Crosby an "elite grinder".

What an idiot tho amirite?

Last edited:
Reactions: Trxjw

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
One thing I've noticed is him sticking too close to other Ranger players, when we're in the offensive zone rather than being open on the right side he's skating too close to the other Ranger players or staying around the front of the net when there's already a player there; and on the backcheck he's coming back too deep. It's almost as if he's nervous about taking that one timer when they pass to him and he's open, and nervous about breaking out on his own if he's staying at the point in our end. Does anyone else notice this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad