Confirmed with Link: Kaapo Kakko signs entry level contract

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I think some people have yet to realize how good this kid is... especially casual Rangers fans. He's already fared well against some of the best D in the game in the WC's at 18 years old... he's a guy that you can't take your eyes off for more than a second or he'll be behind you

I know it isn't a common comparison, but he reminds me a lot of Crosby with his explosive skating, his knack for holding on to the puck and his ability to generate space out of nothing. His playmaking ability is underrated... he could have easily have had half a dozen assists in the WC's if his team mates didn't flounder all the scoring opportunities he created. His passes are short, crisp and sneaky. He's also similar in his drive to be the best player on the ice at all times

Obviously he isn't going to put up Crosby numbers, but in 2-3 years I can see him being nearly as hard to defend with his vast array of weapons.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
No disrespect to Nash, but I think Kakko is a much better playmaker. Nash averaged just 28 assists per 82 games ... he was good but definitely more of a one-trick pony compared to Kakko. I can see Kakko hitting 50 assists with the right linemates

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
No disrespect to Nash, but I think Kakko is a much better playmaker. Nash averaged just 28 assists per 82 games ... he was good but definitely more of a one-trick pony compared to Kakko. I can see Kakko hitting 50 assists with the right linemates
Ya the Nash comparisons are bad, frankly. He’s not like Nash much at all, aside from being a big, strong winger. But there a lot of big, strong wingers out there.

Kakko’s edgework makes Nash look like Staal.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Ya the Nash comparisons are bad, frankly. He’s not like Nash much at all, aside from being a big, strong winger. But there a lot of big, strong wingers out there.

Kakko’s edgework makes Nash look like Staal.

I just think this kid is in a class of his own.

When the comparisons start a-flowin' (not just from us, but from league fans/writers/etc.) it's tough not to see that this kid only gets compared to generational players.

Damn it feels good to finally have a forward of this caliber, and home grown. Whoooo

Reactions: egelband

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
As someone who visits Finland regularly, and talks to Finns on a daily basis in my profession I can honestly say that words aren't simply "pronounced the way they are written"

I'm a native English speaker, who also speaks decent Finnish and I assure you, they are. Perhaps the hard part is that you have to learn the pronunciation of each letter, which might be different from Dutch or German (particularly "y"). In writing, there are no compound sounds, no silent letters, letters never change sound depending on context, and emphasis and vowel length are indicated by single or double letters. Perhaps a better way of putting it is: if you can speak Finnish, you can read it, and vice versa.

That said, I also once heard a Dutchman say Dutch is pronounced the way it's written...

Reactions: egelband and turha

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
I never really understood why Nash didn't put up more assists. His passing was bang-on, tape-to-tape stuff, and it's not like he lacked vision. Maybe it's because so many of his goals came from bulling to the net and good hands? Kakko and Nash seem similar in the sense that they like to take the puck to the net themselves, but Kakko does seem to play with his head up when he's in the corners and behind the net.

Reactions: Legend Leinonen

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
The whole "Finnish is spoken like it's written" is a way of saying Finnish has phonetical spelling, but that hardly helps people who don't know the IPA system or come from other language backgrounds. Simple example is that as a kid you might have spelled "mouse" "maus" bacause "that is what it sounds like". If mouse was a Finnish word, it would be spelled maus.

Kaapo Kakko is (in layman' s phonetic spelling) something like "Kaah-poh Kak-koh", where you barely if at all say the puff of air of the h's, but pronounce the previous sounds like the h was there. Notice that there is no rounding like in English as - poU and - koU, but - po(h) and - ko(h).

Oh and hi, sorry for butting in on a team board..

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I just think this kid is in a class of his own.

When the comparisons start a-flowin' (not just from us, but from league fans/writers/etc.) it's tough not to see that this kid only gets compared to generational players.

Damn it feels good to finally have a forward of this caliber, and home grown. Whoooo

Yeah true this. Also i think it was Craig Button who compared him to Brandon Saad lol. I think iv'e never bursted out in laughter as hard in my life.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The whole "Finnish is spoken like it's written" is a way of saying Finnish has phonetical spelling, but that hardly helps people who don't know the IPA system or come from other language backgrounds. Simple example is that as a kid you might have spelled "mouse" "maus" bacause "that is what it sounds like". If mouse was a Finnish word, it would be spelled maus.

Kaapo Kakko is (in layman' s phonetic spelling) something like "Kaah-poh Kak-koh", where you barely if at all say the puff of air of the h's, but pronounce the previous sounds like the h was there. Notice that there is no rounding like in English as - poU and - koU, but - po(h) and - ko(h).

Oh and hi, sorry for butting in on a team board..

Don't be a stranger. If the rest of your contributions are like this, you are always welcome

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I think some people have yet to realize how good this kid is... especially casual Rangers fans. He's already fared well against some of the best D in the game in the WC's at 18 years old... he's a guy that you can't take your eyes off for more than a second or he'll be behind you

I know it isn't a common comparison, but he reminds me a lot of Crosby with his explosive skating, his knack for holding on to the puck and his ability to generate space out of nothing. His playmaking ability is underrated... he could have easily have had half a dozen assists in the WC's if his team mates didn't flounder all the scoring opportunities he created. His passes are short, crisp and sneaky. He's also similar in his drive to be the best player on the ice at all times

Obviously he isn't going to put up Crosby numbers, but in 2-3 years I can see him being nearly as hard to defend with his vast array of weapons.

Iv'e been saying he looks like Crosby alot too. And i don't think that is far reached at all it's a very accurate comparison. Infact the most accurate there is imho. I was watching highlights of Crosby just yesterday and it took only 5 seconds for me to be like holy shit i can't believe what i'm seeing! The Devils truly made a huge mistake imo.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I never really understood why Nash didn't put up more assists. His passing was bang-on, tape-to-tape stuff, and it's not like he lacked vision. Maybe it's because so many of his goals came from bulling to the net and good hands? Kakko and Nash seem similar in the sense that they like to take the puck to the net themselves, but Kakko does seem to play with his head up when he's in the corners and behind the net.

Regarding Nash, I think it was because he lacked vision. He was most effective 1 on 1 on the rush - to speak frankly, he wasn't all that great elsewhere on the ice.

The WC's is the first time I got to see Kakko really play and I was most thrilled at the shift he pulled off against Suter. There was no goal scored, but he absolutely controlled the play, for almost a full minute, from along the boards and within the offensive zone. It was breathtaking stuff.

Nash rarely found himself within 5 feet of the boards, and even less so after his concussion troubles.

Reactions: 007

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

An honest but somewhat embarrassing question. Consider some of his physical advantages over Crosby why is it so far fetched that if he's so similar to him that he will put up similar numbers? Is it a hockey sense thing?

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
An honest but somewhat embarrassing question. Consider some of his physical advantages over Crosby why is it so far fetched that if he's so similar to him that he will put up similar numbers? Is it a hockey sense thing?

I think Crosby has the hockey IQ over Kakko but you can't know just how good Kakko will be.. I have a feeling he will surprise alot of people that already have high expectations. People really don't understand how good he is.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I think Crosby has the hockey IQ over Kakko but you can't know just how good Kakko will be.. I have a feeling he will surprise alot of people that already have high expectations. People really don't understand how good he is.

Looking forward to it. Expecting 80-90 point player at his best; 50-60-70 his first three seasons (roughly). But maybe I’m being too conservative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad