Prospect Info: Kaapo Kakko, RW, 1st round, 2nd overall, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
This is not a Hughes bashing thread or a city bashing thread. If it continues, you will be removed permanently.

Not only is it not allowed in the rules but frankly, we are better than that.

Wouldn’t you agree that the kaapo kakko thread should be for the people thrilled with the Rangers rebuild. Excitement over the best prospect in franchise history. He is charismatic and fun to root for. Comparing him to the other highly touted prospect is fun and exciting. Let’s go Kakko! The next moose.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
What are some of you going to do when Hughes headlines Team USA in the 22 Games :laugh:

Looking forward to (and rooting for) a long, successful careers for both Kakko and Hughes. The Rangers/Devils rivalry has been stale for far too long.

Rooting for Hughes? Maybe the bashing was taken a little too far, but come on now...

Let's see how friendly we are towards him when he scores a GWG against us in the playoffs

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I really haven't seen much Hughes bashing here at all. Almost surprised thanks to knowing the NYR and NJD have the rivalry going. Which is a good thing of course, since I really have little enthusiasm for the kid talk. With that said, a little half-arsed jab here or there isn't the end of the world though. Then again, one can also consider it from another perspective, for was there no Hughes, the Rangers would not have Kakko. If anything I for one am grateful! And even more so when Kakko goes on to having a mega rock star type of a career on the skates leaving the rest of his age class faaaar behind.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo

Hughes is unbelievably punchable.

Kakko is just straight cool.

Kaapo's dad sounds as intimidating as he looks. They all seem to be nervous and kinda snappy because of that during the draft. No wonder Kakko said he does not want either of his parents to come to NY with him in autumn, he probably wants a taste of freedom.

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Kaapo's dad sounds as intimidating as he looks. They all seem to be nervous and kinda snappy because of that during the draft. No wonder Kakko said he does not want either of his parents to come to NY with him in autumn, he probably wants a taste of freedom.

Seems like a stern dude. I love the part where Kakko is fuzzing about his seating arrangement and his dad is like "Yeah you'll get past me when they call you now shut up". :laugh:

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

Hughes is unbelievably punchable.

Kakko is just straight cool.

funny, i found Hughes to just be a good kid who really values his friends and teammates. Really supportive.
Granted Kakko didn't have all those people around him and I chalk it up to editing but they made him seem a bit more self-centered; always adjusting his hair, talking about instagram, and kinda complaining about interviews - AGAIN, I chalk it up to editing and don't see any issues with him but i don't get punchable and straight cool for this video. but feel free to project our rivalry on him.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
funny, i found Hughes to just be a good kid who really values his friends and teammates. Really supportive.
Granted Kakko didn't have all those people around him and I chalk it up to editing but they made him seem a bit more self-centered; always adjusting his hair, talking about instagram, and kinda complaining about interviews - AGAIN, I chalk it up to editing and don't see any issues with him but i don't get punchable and straight cool for this video. but feel free to project our rivalry on him.
Even players who speak English as their native language and have played in the NHL forever hate interviews. I wouldn't hold that against Kakko. And god forbid he cares what he looks like on one of the biggest days of his life. I don't chalk any of it to editing, I chalk it to Kaapo being far out of his element while Hughes has a lot more comfortable surroundings and past experience of the event. The only spotlight Kaapo's been on before this is the Finnish one and that's a lot smaller than any of this.

I don't really remember a lot of Finnish players being very, uh, excited or outgoing in interviews. Doesn't mean that they're all stuck up assholes.

Besides Kaapo shows a lot of emotion while on the ice, and that's what matters.

Last edited:

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
well, cool and uncool is a completely subjective debate :laugh: I loved the bit of him being tired of interviews, he seems honest, I like that. and it’s not meant to be taken super seriously. of course I’m projecting the rivalry on it. Yes, he seems like a nice kid with a big, supportive family. But, yeah, he’s on the Devils, I’m going to trash talk him, because I don’t like him now. I hope he’s Patrik Stefan part 2. God forgive me for trash talking a devils player. we can bag on Hall or Wood (RIP) all we want, but Hughes is off limits? Let’s not take ourselves too seriously here.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
No matter how you interpreted the video, the ones that walked away from it thinking of Hughes in a negative light have some serious mental gymnastics going on. He seems like a great kid. He’s a bro like 95% of North American pros - so what? So are half of the guys on the Rangers.

Reactions: haveandare

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
No matter how you interpreted the video, the ones that walked away from it thinking of Hughes in a negative light have some serious mental gymnastics going on. He seems like a great kid. He’s a bro like 95% of North American pros - so what? So are half of the guys on the Rangers.
I mean, I think Hughes shows a lot more emotion and personality here than most NHL players or prospects. The way he acts actually surprises me, because in the interviews he usually comes off as a robot, but here he's very lively and happy and outgoing, messing around. People ask for personality but when someone shows it they get shit on. Funny.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I mean, I think Hughes shows a lot more emotion and personality here than most NHL players or prospects. The way he acts actually surprises me, because in the interviews he usually comes off as a robot, but here he's very lively and happy and outgoing, messing around. People ask for personality but when someone shows it they get **** on. Funny.

His mom was a very successful athlete, his older brother was drafted really high. He's used to having cameras around.

Reactions: 007 and UnSandvich

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I mean, I think Hughes shows a lot more emotion and personality here than most NHL players or prospects. The way he acts actually surprises me, because in the interviews he usually comes off as a robot, but here he's very lively and happy and outgoing, messing around. People ask for personality but when someone shows it they get **** on. Funny.
When do we get to see other prospects/players outside the game? Most players have personalities with their friends, Hughes isn't special lol.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
People have made fun of Crosby for being a "hockey robot" but it could be huge for the Rangers if Kakko is a similar "hockey robot" (though I'm not saying he's as talented as Crosby). A relentless desire to improve your fitness and weaknesses in your game and even your strengths can be the difference between a good player and a star player and a franchise player

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
well, cool and uncool is a completely subjective debate :laugh: I loved the bit of him being tired of interviews, he seems honest, I like that. and it’s not meant to be taken super seriously. of course I’m projecting the rivalry on it. Yes, he seems like a nice kid with a big, supportive family. But, yeah, he’s on the Devils, I’m going to trash talk him, because I don’t like him now. I hope he’s Patrik Stefan part 2. God forgive me for trash talking a devils player. we can bag on Hall or Wood (RIP) all we want, but Hughes is off limits? Let’s not take ourselves too seriously here.

I hope Hughes is an amazing player that always somehow gets goose-egged against the Rangers or like he'll have a hat trick but Kaapo has like a 5 point night - always outshining Hughes and giving Devils fans maximum regret feels and a "Kurse of Kakko" against the Devils. Kaapo Kakko the Devil Slayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad