Speculation: JVR and Nash

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
if NYR got all that for Nash, I really, really want Lou to deal JVR. It'll take a bit of a bite out of the offence, but I'm confident that Johnsson, Kapanen, and Aaltonen (if he isn't gone for too long) can bridge some of the gap.

Not sure if he does it though with the way the team is rolling. Wouldn't be the end of the world if he doesn't, but it would strengthen the franchise's assets significantly if he did...

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Obvious answer is no. rather than arguing with me about how awesome picks and prospects are though I am willing to wager an avatar change for one month with anyone who thinks we will.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Anyone who thinks you're getting an effective top four D for the package NYR got for Nash, you just don't understand how player value works in this league.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
3 Questions for those insistent on keeping JVR...

1) Is JVR 5v5 much better than A.Johnsson or Leivo?
2) Would our powerplay improve running one unit of Matthews (in JVR's spot), Nylander, Marner, Kadri, Rielly, rather than 2 units with JVR in his spot on one? Matthews' is better than JVR 5 feet from the net.
3) Is our team any worse doing the above?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Do Leaf fans realize where we are in the standings? It's odd so many want us to trade our UFAs for futures.Notice New York is a far worse team and won't make the playoffs? That is why they are trading their UFAs.
I am not sure we'd see all this passion to tank a season where we are contenders in any other hockey market.

Reactions: supermann_98

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Anyone who thinks you're getting an effective top four D for the package NYR got for Nash, you just don't understand how player value works in this league.
It has more to do with the fact the best top 4 Ds available all have term unlike Nash and will cost a lot more do to that fact alone.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
100 percent no. we're on pace for our greatest regular season of all time and we just traded for a 4C so it would be counter productive to trade him. also its not like we got nash, where jvr would be expendable or anything

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
JVR should be sold to the highest bidder. A 2018 1st + solid prospect + 3rd would be a very nice haul. Johnsson/Leivo/Kap would take JVR's minutes and the team wouldn't miss a beat, particularly once Matthews gets back.

Bruins upgrading with a huge addition is also a bad sign for the Leafs' playoff chances.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Bruins upgrading with a huge addition is also a bad sign for the Leafs' playoff chances.

We beat them without Matthews last night. We are 3-1 on the season against them, They get Nash and we should panic? We just got an upgrade to and I will wager another to come.

I know it is sad times for Playoff tank nation, but you can always cheer against us in the playoffs so that we don't draft 31rst I guess.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I hope no one thinks that.

But it could help acquire the top four D.

Or you could maybe try your luck in the draft to get a high end D.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
JVR should be sold to the highest bidder. A 2018 1st + solid prospect + 3rd would be a very nice haul. Johnsson/Leivo/Kap would take JVR's minutes and the team wouldn't miss a beat, particularly once Matthews gets back.

Nash is a huge addition? I would argue that Spooner has been the better offensive player in the last 3 seasons.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
We beat them without Matthews last night. We are 3-1 on the season against them, They get Nash and we should panic? We just got an upgrade to and I will wager another to come.

I know it is sad times for Playoff tank nation, but you can always cheer against us in the playoffs so that we don't draft 31rst I guess.

I doubt I need to remind you that regular season records mean absolutely nothing once the playoffs begin. I'd also wager Bruins will head into the playoffs with home ice over the Leafs (they're on pace for more points), which will be an advantage and yes, their scary good team with the addition of Nash and home ice makes the Bruins a significant favourite over the Leafs.

That said you're right, I should just sit back and enjoy the show at this stage.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I doubt I need to remind you that regular season records mean absolutely nothing once the playoffs begin. I'd also wager Bruins will head into the playoffs with home ice over the Leafs (they're on pace for more points), which will be an advantage and yes, their scary good team with the addition of Nash and home ice makes the Bruins a significant favourite over the Leafs.

That said you're right, I should just sit back and enjoy the show at this stage.

We can give them a go. I am sure they are taking us just as seriously as we are them. They would be fools not to.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

What I don't honestly get about JVR in the playoffs is this: If Babs is too worried to play him in a Regular season game because he is so bad in his own end...why in the world would he trust him in the playoffs when the goals are harder to come by and he may be an even bigger liability ??

Didn't everyone see his half assed attempt on the 3rd goal?? I mean...If I was his team mate I would be pissed at his effort. He seems to not want to risk getting hurt (or he really is just indifferent to defense) ....I just think if you cannot trust him now...why would you want him on the team when you can trust him even less? and also, Power plays are not given out as often in the playoffs...so what is he going to play ?? maybe 8min a game?

I say if there is a stupid team out there willing to pay a good price...move him and never look back.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
You tank people piss me off. Go cheer for the Oilers if you want to be in the race for the 1st overall every year. Tied for 3rd overall in the NHL and people want to sell off important players.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
What I don't honestly get about JVR in the playoffs is this: If Babs is too worried to play him in a Regular season game because he is so bad in his own end...why in the world would he trust him in the playoffs when the goals are harder to come by and he may be an even bigger liability ??

Didn't everyone see his half assed attempt on the 3rd goal?? I mean...If I was his team mate I would be pissed at his effort. He seems to not want to risk getting hurt (or he really is just indifferent to defense) ....I just think if you cannot trust him now...why would you want him on the team when you can trust him even less? and also, Power plays are not given out as often in the playoffs...so what is he going to play ?? maybe 8min a game?

I say if there is a stupid team out there willing to pay a good price...move him and never look back.

Yup. I would love to see him bring in a 1st and a prospect of note. But we'll see. He's not a difference maker. Playoffs are generally low scoring. Keeps the puck secure is more important than the what JVR is gonna bring in the playoffs when it gets harder to score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad