Speculation: JVR and Nash

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Only in a 3-way deal that nets us a top-4 D

Yea, and only if that D is McDonagh or OEL.

Since I dont want us to part with Liljegren, I don't really see how we can make that trade happen for either D unless we recoup high end assets from another team.

EDIT: Although, I do not think Lou and co will want to touch the forward group.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
If the JVR return can significantly help you get a guy like McDonagh, then I'd do it.

Move kapanen up in the lineup and maybe bring up Johnsson or put Leivo in.

JVR has been great in the playoffs tho.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
The forum was down for a little while so I figured they had traded JVR for Doughty straight up and had broken the internet.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Anyone who thinks you're getting an effective top four D for the package NYR got for Nash, you just don't understand how player value works in this league.

A first and a B+/A prospect is a great starting point for a top 4 defenseman. Yes we might have to add, but at least now instead of trading our first plus a guy like Kapanen, Johnsson, Liljegren etc. We can pretty much flip a guy who we weren't resigning anyway to make up the bulk of the return for such defenseman.

Reactions: glue

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Nash is a huge addition? I would argue that Spooner has been the better offensive player in the last 3 seasons.

Spooner's pp60 is miles better. Nash's pp60 production is mid-way between Brown and Hyman, while Spooner's is about the same as JVR. Maybe playing for a contract will light a fire with him, but I think the Bs got scalped. Nash has not been a productive top 6 guy since 14-15.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I doubt I need to remind you that regular season records mean absolutely nothing once the playoffs begin. I'd also wager Bruins will head into the playoffs with home ice over the Leafs (they're on pace for more points), which will be an advantage and yes, their scary good team with the addition of Nash and home ice makes the Bruins a significant favourite over the Leafs.

That said you're right, I should just sit back and enjoy the show at this stage.
The Leafs have won 13 out of the last 15 over Boston. Boston is not better.
And you can cite those games-in-hand all you want, have you bothered to check-out Boston's schedule? It's brutal. The Leafs have it far easier down the stretch.
And Boston just does not have the speed or depth of the Leafs. And Nash is MIA in the playoffs in his entire career.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Spooner's pp60 is miles better. Nash's pp60 production is mid-way between Brown and Hyman, while Spooner's is about the same as JVR. Maybe playing for a contract will light a fire with him, but I think the Bs got scalped. Nash has not been a productive top 6 guy since 14-15.
There's more to hockey than just points. Nash is a better puck controller and is better defensively than spooner. Also he brings playoff experience and is a veteran on an otherwise pretty young team headed for the playoffs. Another thing, Spooner wasn't gonna re sign with the bruins anyways. He and management didn't really see eye to eye in anything. He also wasn't a fit with the bruins. He wasn't gonna play on the top line, probably not suited for the 2nd line, the bruins don't wanna mess with the 3rd line and he isn't a 4th line player.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
There's more to hockey than just points. Nash is a better puck controller and is better defensively than spooner. Also he brings playoff experience and is a veteran on an otherwise pretty young team headed for the playoffs. Another thing, Spooner wasn't gonna re sign with the bruins anyways. He and management didn't really see eye to eye in anything. He also wasn't a fit with the bruins. He wasn't gonna play on the top line, probably not suited for the 2nd line, the bruins don't wanna mess with the 3rd line and he isn't a 4th line player.

Bruins have a history of poor track record evaluating forwards not named Marchand or Bergeron.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
There is more, but have you seen Nash? I am not finding him to be a "Two-Way" player at all. Especially not now. He's a pretty big floater.
I always found Nash embarrasingly overrated by the media in Toronto.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Nash has been coasting on his reputation from five years ago for a while now. People still think Rick Nash = 40 goal man, when he hasn't been that guy for a while.
but he's still a better all around player

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Nash has been coasting on his reputation from five years ago for a while now. People still think Rick Nash = 40 goal man, when he hasn't been that guy for a while.
He was also never as good defensively as people claimed.

nonikhanna

Feb 9, 2011
Maple Tree
JVR is replaceable. Wingers can be replaced within the organisation. With the price of a scoring winger set so high, we should trade JVR. It won't hurt our cup chances, and it will give us assets that we could use for years on end. We want to go for multiple cups not just this one.

Might be better to move him out of the conference so it stings a little less.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I would trade JVR for a futures return, only because I think we have the depth to replace JVRs offence. I still think Leivo is a competent forward that can be effective offensively (no, I'm not saying he'll be a 30 goal scorer).

I would then load up to acquire McDonagh now or perhaps look at the options opening up then.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I would trade JVR for a futures return, only because I think we have the depth to replace JVRs offence. I still think Leivo is a competent forward that can be effective offensively (no, I'm not saying he'll be a 30 goal scorer).

I would then load up to acquire McDonagh now or perhaps look at the options opening up then.

The simplest solution is to insert Plekanec in for Bozak and give him Kapanen as well. The line suddenly becomes a + line and we keep JVR's 30 goals.

We don't have a replacement who can match JVR. If we trade JVR we have to be like the Bruins and trade for a Nash, who scores less than JVR at this point in their careers yet costs a first round pick and solid player. You can't even commit that your possible replacement will do anything. "Competent forward" is not going to cut it when it's 30 goals on the line.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The simplest solution is to insert Plekanec in for Bozak and give him Kapanen as well. The line suddenly becomes a + line and we keep JVR's 30 goals.

We don't have a replacement who can match JVR. If we trade JVR we have to be like the Bruins and trade for a Nash, who scores less than JVR at this point in their careers yet costs a first round pick and solid player. You can't even commit that your possible replacement will do anything. "Competent forward" is not going to cut it when it's 30 goals on the line.

I don't think we need to replace someone like JVR though. For his minutes, which are usually fairly low compared to the rest of the forward group, I think you can afford to downgrade in scoring potential with someone that is effective in shot attempts, like Leivo for example. Or even just promoting Kapanen in your lineup and then putting Leivo in a lesser role. Either way, it's more than adequate and even without JVR we're still a very potent offensive team.

What we need is a defenseman that can play tough minutes. While it's OK now, I think we can all agree that this defensive group is holding on by a thread sometimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad