Prospect Info: Justus Annunen

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
I think MAF is the most likely. Outside chance Jarry finds a way onto the team as well... he's been spectacular this year.
forgot about Jarry too. He very well could. Binnington will be a homer pick for sure but hopefully he won't play.

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
I think MAF is the most likely. Outside chance Jarry finds a way onto the team as well... he's been spectacular this year.
Probably the wrong place for this but how is Mads Soogard progressing. Wanted the Avs to draft him.

Figured you might have some knowledge on him besides me googling numbers

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
it's early in season. We are resting players that could normally play if we weren't Cup favorites. He'll find his groove.

Hart is massively overrated.

Forgot all about Fleury. :laugh:
Hart is a starting level goalie. Whether he gets to elite level is another story, but it’s not like he’s getting much help in Philly either.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Are you aware of the inner workings of what they could've done at the draft?
More to base it on than the Brian Burke style magical thinking that the Avalanche could have just traded up for Wallstedt. During the draft telecast TSN reported that Edmonton didn't want to drop back too far and the deal was a 3rd to drop from 20 to 22. The Avalanche at 28 were a more considerable drop.

Likewise the Stars trade down from 15 was to 23, a divisional opponent and for a higher 2nd than the Avalanche possessed and and a 5th which the Avalanche didn't have.

Reactions: avsfan09

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
More to base it on than the Brian Burke style magical thinking that the Avalanche could have just traded up for Wallstedt. During the draft telecast TSN reported that Edmonton didn't want to drop back too far and the deal was a 3rd to drop from 20 to 22. The Avalanche at 28 were a more considerable drop.

Likewise the Stars trade down from 15 was to 23, a divisional opponent and for a higher 2nd than the Avalanche possessed and and a 5th which the Avalanche didn't have.
Good to know! I was genuinely curious. Thanks for sharing this.

Reactions: Hasbro

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Probably the wrong place for this but how is Mads Soogard progressing. Wanted the Avs to draft him.

Figured you might have some knowledge on him besides me googling numbers

I'm certainly not the best at goalies, but Soogard has been looking really good. He has done everything to continue to look like a future NHL starter. Probably still ~2 years away.

Reactions: Bowe Byrum

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I think the best thing you can say about Annunen last night is that there is NHL potential there. He's got a good base of skills, especially on the mental side, that will give him a chance at being a regular NHLer. I do like his ability to quickly react to shots and just his tracking in general. When watching him you never really worry about him losing the puck even through traffic so he's always going to be giving himself a chance to stop the puck. However he really, really needs to work on his behind-the-net play. He just always believes the puck carrier is going to continue going forward and not do a reverse pass. It didn't burn him in Ottawa (almost did), burned him last night though. Annunen needs to find a better way to track the puck behind the net because it won't take long for video coaches to point it out for pre-scouting.

One of the biggest aspect Annunen is going to have to work on in the off-season is essentially going from a 4-speed car with the acceleration of a 2014 Elantra to a 5-speed car with the acceleration of something with a V8 at least. Annunen has essentially spent his whole hockey life playing the exact same way with minor adjustments and linear-ish improvements. Movement wise he's good enough to keep up with the AHL as they don't have the execution or consistent high end pace/speed we see in the NHL. What we've seen in the NHL so far is that when the pace/speed picks up Annunen is still just plodding along. It's like if he's in a cross country race and he's keeping up with the majority of the group but for the last 500M the top runners start to sprint but Annunen doesn't break his pace. He doesn't slow down but he can't speed up. Even when you're 6' 4" there's still a good amount of net to shoot at and with how fast a lot of these players can get their shots off you don't always have time to react. You just need to get proper positioning and challenging.

The one good thing about Annunen being with the Avs is that so far Parkkila has shown he likes to have his goalies get aggressive when the situation calls for it. I believe JoJo mentioned that last season in that Parkkila wanted him to be more aggressive in his challenging because it's just so hard to stop shots where they are at the limits of human reaction time. And some goalies just aren't going to have high levels of reaction speed so you have to find ways to cover for that. Getting aggressive though means you need to get there quickly and have your feet set immediately. It's very, very difficult to react while you're moving. That's pretty much the general/overview of what Annunen will need to improve on.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
How has he developed?
How's his game in the AHL this season?

Looking at his goalie stats, he has had some great games
good games, bad games, really bad games.

Any reliable (latest) scouting reports of him?

Could he jump as soon as next season for the AVS, as an regular?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He's big, but not real athletic... so if his positioning if off, games can fall apart really quickly. With NHL shooters this will be exploited even more than the AHL. When he's on, he's big enough to cover the net and play a solid positional style. He's not even close to NHL ready, and I wouldn't count on him ever being a regular.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
How has he developed?
How's his game in the AHL this season?

Looking at his goalie stats, he has had some great games
good games, bad games, really bad games.

Any reliable (latest) scouting reports of him?

Could he jump as soon as next season for the AVS, as an regular?

He has starter potential

but, goalies

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Has his speed improved at all? I feel like the kid isn’t exactly in the best shape, but could he not develop to be a Lehner type goalie?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I would say he clearly doesn't have starter potential. Dude is outright slow in net which will get him burned in the NHL.
I wouldn't say that's fair, the lad definitely has NHL start potential, but how much it is is the real question. You are right that if he doesn't get quicker, he probably won't become anything special, but if Andersen or Lehner can succeed, then Annunen certainly has a chance. He's gotta lose weight as well.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Has his speed improved at all? I feel like the kid isn’t exactly in the best shape, but could he not develop to be a Lehner type goalie?

I don't see it... Lehner isn't real fast, but he's lightyears ahead of Annunen. The JoJo comparison is pretty apt IMO.

Reactions: missionAvs

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I don't see it... Lehner isn't real fast, but he's lightyears ahead of Annunen. The JoJo comparison is pretty apt IMO.

I’m not saying Annunen is anywhere near wheat Lehner is nor will be anywhere near that. Rather just highlighting a goalie who doesn’t have the most elite movement who manages to play at the NHL level. If Annunen is going to succeed Lehner is the type of goalie we he would have to model his game like. Again, I don’t think he can get to Lehner’s level, but it’s not impossible for a goalie with poor movement to make the show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad