Prospect Info: Justus Annunen

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Congrats on the first W kid but ya, If Kuemper isn't ready Wednesday night, Johansson needs to start. Or Francouz needs to be brought up tomorrow.

I agree with this. He has now like 90 minutes of material to work with and has some idea of what NHL requires. Definitely needs to work on breakaways and against direct non-screened shots.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I don't know shit about goaltending and wont pretend too. But he's a kid getting tossed into the NHL and it showed. He's looked good in the AHL.

I'm not saying he's a NHL starter in his lifetime, but this wasn't the time to expose him to it either. Sakic's incompetence in getting good goaltending depth on this team is at fault here.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I don't know shit about goaltending and wont pretend too. But he's a kid getting tossed into the NHL and it showed. He's looked good in the AHL.

I'm not saying he's a NHL starter in his lifetime, but this wasn't the time to expose him to it either. Sakic's incompetence in getting good goaltending depth on this team is at fault here.

or at least getting goalies who can stay healthy. Kuemper and Frankie with JoJo as a 3 is theoretically a decent group.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
or at least getting goalies who can stay healthy. Kuemper and Frankie with JoJo as a 3 is theoretically a decent group.
Does it matter if they're healthy? Frankie hadn't played hockey in 2 years and he decided to wing it and hope for the best. He had a shot at Anderson and missed because he was slow on the market. They had a opportunity to move up in the draft for a higher pick, didn't...

Overall goaltending has just been a lower priority it seems for a long time. Other teams find a way. Sakic hasn't at goalie and a few other spots too.

Reactions: Nihiliste

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Annunen just needs to cook some more. You can see the potential, but he isn't ready yet. Let him get a larger body of work in the AHL and try him again next year.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He looked shaky to start but settled down a bit. I’m more concerned with the defensive breakdowns, continued bad play by the top line, and Kurtis MacDermid.

Not often you see the Avs score 7 goals in a winning effort and come away frustrated. Yet here we are.

Also, while he scored a great SHG, EJ was insanely bad tonight. Turnovers all over the goddamned place. That great hand save he made would not have been necessary had he not coughed it up to begin with.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Have watched a bit of the Eagles this year.
Annunen Definitely has some athletic talent, but man it looks like he struggles tracking the puck at times. Could be a “development” thing, but agree with others that he probably needs some more AHL time.
Potential seems to be there

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
I wonder if it’s time to move on from Parkkila? He seemed to really help Varly in his career but I’m not sure he is helping the rest of the guys improve. Maybe a fresh voice?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I wonder if it’s time to move on from Parkkila? He seemed to really help Varly in his career but I’m not sure he is helping the rest of the guys improve. Maybe a fresh voice?

I dunno, he got a ton of praise for essentially resurrecting Bernier’s career, and he seemed to do wonders with Frankie, who up until then zero NHL experience.

And boy, sure looks like he must have done well with Groob because lookit how well he’s doing now that he’s gone.

Johansson just isn’t a good goalie. At all. No amount of coaching will fix that.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Sakic has been good. But he’s completely destroyed the goaltending position by continuing to try half measures and not solve the position long term.

Yeah, I used to hear the same criticism of Sakic with respect to D-men. Just have to be patient although G hasn’t been the Avs’ strength in terms of developing talent.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Sakic has been good. But he’s completely destroyed the goaltending position by continuing to try half measures and not solve the position long term.
To be fair, Kuemper had statically been a top 3 goalie during the 3 previous seasons. He apparently was initially trying to get Andersen. Kuemper was his third choice.

Goaltending is a tricky position to fill. A lot of teams with great goaltenders just tend to get lucky. We've gotten lucky with our defence.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
To be fair, Kuemper had statically been a top 3 goalie during the 3 previous seasons. He apparently was initially trying to get Andersen. Kuemper was his third choice.

Goaltending is a tricky position to fill. A lot of teams with great goaltenders just tend to get lucky. We've gotten lucky with our defence.
Kuemper has statistically been comparable to Gru throughout his entire career. Gru is not a top 3 goalie and Kuemper isn’t either. He’s an above average goalie. I’m sure he’ll pick it up eventually but in the end he won’t be a difference maker here just like Gru. Or the chances he’s a difference maker here are low I should say.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Can't think of anyone better. Price might never play again this year and Binnington and Hart are both awful
Fleury and Binnington will the nod over him for sure, maybe even Blackwood. As for Hart I don’t see how he’s any worse than Kuemper considering he’s got better stats on a much worse team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Can't think of anyone better. Price might never play again this year and Binnington and Hart are both awful
I think MAF is the most likely. Outside chance Jarry finds a way onto the team as well... he's been spectacular this year.

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
Fleury and Binnington will the nod over him for sure, maybe even Blackwood. As for Hart I don’t see how he’s any worse than Kuemper considering he’s got better stats on a much worse team.
it's early in season. We are resting players that could normally play if we weren't Cup favorites. He'll find his groove.

Hart is massively overrated.

Forgot all about Fleury. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad