Speculation: Justin Holl Discussion Thread

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Seems like the likeliest player to be moved this off season.
Any predictions on where he lands and what he'll return?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
No one wanted him at Dubie price .. he went up in trade market this past year as Dubie tried to get a 1st rounder for either him or Dermy and no one bit .. i think Dermy went for a 3rd at a later time .. but Holl can't skate at da NHL level .. for an in betweener 6th/7th dman he might get a 4th rounder

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
No one wanted him at Dubie price .. he went up in trade market this past year as Dubie tried to get a 1st rounder for either him or Dermy and no one bit .. i think Dermy went for a 3rd at a later time .. but Holl can't skate at da NHL level .. for an in betweener 6th/7th dman he might get a 4th rounder
I'm thinking a 3rd, hopefully to Ottawa or Buffalo.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
They move him yet? Thought this would have been done by now

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
He's getting slower and slower and was terrible during the series in Tampa. Move him and give Sandin and Timmy full-time NHL action

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009

I think a few of the bigger names out there move - Klingberg, Subban, de Haan and Zadorov is when you wait to move him.

An RHD with a year of control at 2 might get a 1st from a desperate team, at least a 2nd.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
I think a few of the bigger names out there move - Klingberg, Subban, de Haan and Zadorov is when you wait to move him.

An RHD with a year of control at 2 might get a 1st from a desperate team, at least a 2nd.
Kerfoot should be very attractive for a lot of teams too with his bonuses paid out and only being owed league minimum. Either could move this summer easily

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's funny that Holl was getting flack on the last game thread when he made the key play on 3-4 of the Leafs goals.

He was also doing the typical Holl stuff like casually bringing up the puck up the middle with his head down, got stripped of the puck and then Samsonov bailed him out. If he keeps it simple, he fills a role. When he starts thinking he can do it all, things go sideways.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I remember reading he’s a legit top 4 who’ll get 4+ on his next contract. :laugh:

Reactions: Pebble live

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Leafs can do better than Holl, even in the bottom pairing.

Not gonna win with a guy like this logging decent minutes.
He's looked much better with Brodie - as is true for all our defenseman. And he's proven himself to be quite capable on the PK. Bottom pair guy to be sure, but not a total waste of space as he is often portrayed.

Reactions: kb

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Leafs can do better than Holl, even in the bottom pairing.

Not gonna win with a guy like this logging decent minutes.
I like the idea of him being on the bottom pairing. Kill some penalties and free up Mo/Lilly to play more 5v5.

Problem is obviously that if we make a move, we will have 7 defencemen, so it's tough to upgrade without him or Sandin going out.

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
He's looked much better with Brodie - as is true for all our defenseman. And he's proven himself to be quite capable on the PK. Bottom pair guy to be sure, but not a total waste of space as he is often portrayed.

This is true. But the question can someone like Benn step in and provide the same tools and competency for a lot less? That was my expectation when we signed Benn. He'd provide Holl level play for 750k. Benn's a left hander though so he was probably meant to be insulation incase Gio went down.

I'm not following his injury news at all so no idea what's going on there.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Folks if he stays in da no risk lane he is fine as a 6D with PK duty .. when he gets into trouble is when he thinks he is Bobby Orr .. I hope he keeps to a very simple no risk game .. best game he can play is when nobody notices him at all .. but he seems to forget real quick what his capabilities are

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
he is what he is. An average number 6 Dman

I agree, I think if he is used appropriately he is fine on the bottom pairing. Especially if he has Gio to babysit him. He runs into problems when they need to use him in a top 4 role and he is in over his head.

I think the other issue is he probably is overpaid for a bottom pairing defenseman so given our cap constraints, we could probably use the extra ~$1 million in cap space somewhere else like possibly a better goalie.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I agree, I think if he is used appropriately he is fine on the bottom pairing. Especially if he has Gio to babysit him. He runs into problems when they need to use him in a top 4 role and he is in over his head.

I think the other issue is he probably is overpaid for a bottom pairing defenseman so given our cap constraints, we could probably use the extra ~$1 million in cap space somewhere else like possibly a better goalie.

2 mill is not overpaid for a bottom pairing defenseman, unless that guy brings zero special teams value and is a mediocre ES player.

Holl is worth a lot more than 2 mill. He is certainly not overpaid.

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad