Luke DeCock: Justin Faulk Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This assumes that: a) Rod won't ever over slot him, and b) fans are rational.

Both are tough assumptions...

If Rod "overslots" him, it's likely because someone else isn't pulling their weight though. McGinn, IMO, can be a solid 3rd liner and the fact that he's on our 4th line and can move up in the line-up and not hurt you is a pretty good spot to be in.

100% agree on b) though. :laugh:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I was under the impression that Hamilton was already the whipping boy given how many people on here still say he should be the one traded this offseason, and not Faulk.

The people that suggested trading him did it because they viewed him as the superior trade asset. Perhaps he could return what Faulk couldn't given the difference in contract term and reputation. Hamilton's long-term future with the franchise is a question mark too. This management group is as cutthroat as it gets. If he asks for a market contract, I'm skeptical that they'll give it to him.

Moving forward, fans still will feel the need to justify the Calgary trade. That will calm some of the hate that would otherwise go they way of a player of that type.

Reactions: zman77

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The people that suggested trading him did it because they viewed him as the superior trade asset. Perhaps he could return what Faulk couldn't given the difference in contract term and reputation. Hamilton's long-term future with the franchise is a question mark too. This management group is as cutthroat as it gets. If he asks for a market contract, I'm skeptical that they'll give it to him.

Moving forward, fans still will feel the need to justify the Calgary trade. That will calm some of the hate that would otherwise go they way of a player of that type.

I agree that our management is cut-throat, but thankfully also are willing to spend to the cap now. Those two things, when combined, actually create a winning organization, like the Patriots has shown time and again. Being cut-throat and being cheap are two very different things.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
IB indicated earlier this month that Carolina was one of the most aggressive teams in on Laine. He just retweeted that tweet along with the other news today. The guy has hit on a lot things even though he is not a "trusted" source.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The whole idea is that fans making certain players whipping boys isn't entirely rational so yes.

That's a step beyond typical fan irrationality. I'm struggling to recall a 4th liner that played on the 4th line that people continually complained about. Kruger had a forgettable stint as a Hurricane, but that was overshadowed by Ryan in the Top 9, for example.

Foegele is more at risk of falling victim to the LaRose effect. He's not a rookie anymore. If he gets consistent Top 9 minutes and doesn't produce, his youth won't absolve him from criticism.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
IB indicated earlier this month that Carolina was one of the most aggressive teams in on Laine. He just retweeted that tweet along with the other news today. The guy has hit on a lot things even though he is not a "trusted" source.

Saw that.

I'm scared of what they'd have to give up for Laine...

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
There is just no way Laine happens. As others have said, there would HAVE to be other roster players moving with Faulk to make the money work, let alone to make the Jets not look like complete fools...and no other roster player was missing from the practice sessions. Faulk for Laine straight up would be Hall for Larson redux.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011

I could imagine that a Laine bridge deal would be rather reasonable considering that Point only got a $6M AAV for 3 years. I could see Laine taking less than Faulk from an AAV standpoint on a 2-3 year bridge contract considering that Point had the far better year and track record, as of this point.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Saw that.

I'm scared of what they'd have to give up for Laine...

I'm not overly scared. Reportedly, Faulk was the only "regular" held out of practice. Svech, Necas, McGinn, Pesce and even guys like Bean and Suzuki all participated. Seems unlikely they'd hold Faulk out but let those guys participate if they were part of the trade. It "seems" on the surface that it's either Faulk alone, or Faulk + picks/prospects not currently still in camp.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I agree that our management is cut-throat, but thankfully also are willing to spend to the cap now. Those two things, when combined, actually create a winning organization, like the Patriots has shown time and again. Being cut-throat and being cheap are two very different things.

Willingness to spend globally can be independent of the willingness to spend at an individual level. Per Friedman, the book on the FO is that they set a value on a player and stick to it. Lindholm, Hanifin, Ferland to an extent and presumably now Faulk are examples of that. Aho is the notable outlier, but he forced their hand in an extreme way. Who knows how that plays out if he doesn't sign the offer sheet.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I actually think that based on what Brayden Point just took, acquiring Laine would not be a huge cap burden if he agreed to a prove-it bridge contract to play with Aho. The question with a Laine trade, at least to me, anyways, has more to do with asset cost. I could imagine that the two firsts and the Rangers conditional 2nd is all going to be in play here.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions