Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
So would management be hesitant to send him down because that is a reflection on their drafting? Especially if the last 2 games were tough, I feel its all about timing and optics with this team
I fear the same thing, they won't send him down because that's them admitting to a mistake. egos are far to big with this team. and his confidence will continue to deteriorate every single game. he is INVISIBLE

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I would say its just a matter of times before Slaf picks up man.

He is 19 years old christ. The chance are that he evolves, mature and improves. The anomaly would be that he stagnate.

Like I've said before, it's all bearing on his actual hockey IQ potential. Although it is abundantly clear to me that they are not using the classical means to acquire more sophistication of his play reading.

Whether he has that potential or not, i maintain that he's far more likely to afapt to it by progressively being acquainted with what he has to do in a slower pace of play.

Timmins was dog shit from 2008-2018. That spanned 3 general managers.

Stop it right now.

Omg are we going to have to watch that clip 50 times to prove how good slaf is?

We barely had any good picks between 08-12. This has been debated over ad infinitum. We were dead last in drafting power rankings in those 4 years (# of picks and pick ranks)

The true chasm is 2012-2018.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I fear the same thing, they won't send him down because that's them admitting to a mistake. egos are far to big with this team. and his confidence will continue to deteriorate every single game. he is INVISIBLE
Yep saving egos appears more important than properly handling a 1OA player.

Reactions: HabsForHire

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Like I've said before, it's all bearing on his actual hockey IQ potential. Although it is abundantly clear to me that they are not using the classical means to acquire more sophistication of his play reading.

Whether he has that potential or not, i maintain that he's far more likely to afapt to it by progressively being acquainted with what he has to do in a slower pace of play.

We barely had any good picks between 08-12. This has been debated over ad infinitum. We were dead last in drafting power rankings in those 4 years (# of picks and pick ranks)

The true chasm is 2012-2018.
Well Timmins ain't coming back so make excuses for him all you like

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yup he's right, this pick and especially this speech, will both go down in history, but not how Bozobrov is picturing it.

Bobrov sounds like another Bergevin. Another dimwit who climbed the hockey ladder through personal relations and dysfunctional cronyism.

He really thinks he's Kevin Costner.
It’s as if Bobrov watched several sports movies and lifted a greatest hits of dramatic one-liners, which when rattled off back to back while his glasses are on his forehead, sound cheesy AF.

How many bulls is one individual supposed to grab by the horns, anyway?

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
His skating is fine.
His big problem is his shot. It contributes to never ever shooting and never ever trying to take the puck to the slot to score. He does have self-awareness, he knows he can’t get his shot off fast enough, so he doesn’t even try.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Tesla was

Stocks, especially ones like Tesla,are such a bad comparison. The price is driven almost completely by hype, speculation and market conditions. Not real world changes.

Indeed its a comparaison boiteuse.

My main point was that a lot of people got burnt betting against big upside, over short term, surmontable issue.

That is the only relevant parralel between the two.

Although lets be honest, there is also a lot of hype and speculation surrounding prospect. That Slaf is a bust and we are failing him is nothing more than a speculation right now.

This is something i can get on board with.
Although i still want to let the door open into what they are doing now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pomee

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Juraj is a pretty strong skater, even at the NHL level.

1699109525737.png

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Well Timmins ain't coming back so make excuses for him all you like

Let's see how he does with Columbus. Time might convince you. Timmins isn't perfect either, he's had his fumbles, but I'm convinced Bergevin was a detriment to his drafting between 2012-2018.

Timmins time in Ottawa was relatively good. If he's good with Columbus, that might indicate I'm right.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The next time you watch Slafkovsky play and think the AHL would be good for him, remember snake oil salesman Bobrov's rock-solid arguments and give your head a shake:

1: The hockey historians are paying attention. They know better than you.

2: What he's done on the big stage is unprecedented. A bit vague but it sure sounds impressive.

3: He has the ability to want to take the bulls by the horn. Bulls, plural. Watch out.

4. He wants to own the moment which is a personality trait, not just a hockey skill. Know the difference.

5. He's carrying the mail. How nice of him.

6. He has the pressure of a country on his shoulders and the proof is in the pudding that he kept getting better under that 5 million population. Inspiring.
He really thinks he's Kevin Costner.
What was Gorton thinking?

Featuring Kevin Costner in the cliché-laden, arcane dramedy of crass one-liner gibberish, Grift Day.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
Slaf has no motor!

See for yourself in the first 20 second of this clip!

It does not take a motor nor any power at all to outskate a Franchise level D like Dahlin.

What a fallacious argument...

Let me say that I was really impressed with his pre season play, but unfortunately, he slowed down significantly since then.

In my opinion, there is no doubt he is skilled and gis skating is fine, especially considering his monstrous size.

But he has no motor right now, no hustle with or without the puck.

He needs to drive the play in the AHL to drive up his confidence and build some muscle memory and reflexes for NA pro hockey. That's it.

U have nothing against Slaf, I hope he was the right pick. But right now, he clearly doesn't belong in the NHL.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014

Let me say that I was really impressed with his pre season play, but unfortunately, he slowed down significantly since then.

In my opinion, there is no doubt he is skilled and gis skating is fine, especially considering his monstrous size.

He needs to drive the play in the AHL to drive up his confidence and build some muscle memory and reflexes for NA pro hockey. That's it.

U have nothing against Slaf, I hope he was the right pick. But right now, he clearly doesn't belong in the NHL.

I agree with all of your assesment. I defended the position of having him in the NHL last year but i am starting to be dubious now.

I also dislike his non-chalant demeanor and lack of hustle on the ice.

I just think there is also a lot of skills here and it might be a bit premature to write him off. Especially since he is in his windows of maximum growth.

But i do share the same concerns.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Dude, seriously?

They knew they were on camera.
What's your point? Knowing you are on camera makes you having that kind of simplistic way of judging prospects? When people talk about pros vs amateurs, I swear to you that you would give their job to 75% of the people and we would do just as good.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
What's your point? Knowing you are on camera makes you having that kind of simplistic way of judging prospects? When people talk about pros vs amateurs, I swear to you that you would give their job to 75% of the people and we would do just as good.

Yes that's my point. They knew they were on camera so they spoke in the manner that many people want to hear.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
You know we're deep in analysis when you start to see comparisons between Slaf and Tesla stocks lmao
Thanks for the chuckle, wonder what's next in line ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 417

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
Slaf has no motor!

See for yourself in the first 20 second of this clip!

It does not take a motor nor any power at all to outskate a Franchise level D like Dahlin.

Man. do you even realize he didn't outskate Dahlin he had 2 meter advantage from the start and he was routinely taken by the other D.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It’s as if Bobrov watched several sports movies and lifted a greatest hits of dramatic one-liners, which when rattled off back to back while his glasses are on his forehead, sound cheesy AF.

How many bulls is one individual supposed to grab by the horns, anyway?
Between this speech and this past summers nonsense about the entire scouting staff being unanimous on Reinbacher, its pretty clear we don't have a scouting department. We have an outspoken blowhard head scout who just picks who he wants.

Reactions: Runner77

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021

I agree he has no hustle with the puck. But he really tries when he forechecks or battles for the puck along the boards. The problem is really with the puck and he does nothing that a Power Forward should do. I suspect it’s because he knows he can’t shoot. So what’s the point? So he does long wide loops looking for a passing target.

Reactions: Licou

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Slaf went back to his personal "tape job". The one he haven't used it since early last season.

Reactions: Pomee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad