Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
What we need is some new funny questions from the psychiatrist. That will surely help for the next drafts. “If you need to scratch your butt during a job interview , what would you do? Fight the urge or discreetly go for it? “

oh we really like how he answered that question, he’s our guy! We know he has no hockey sense but man oh man, the way he answered that question leaves no doubt in our minds that he’ll be able to handle the pressooourree.

Instead of the psychology questions, or rather for a much needed supplementation, they should pass passive and active 3D recognition/operations tests, a bit like they do with air traffic controllers. I'm pretty sure there's a strong correlation, especially with active testing, between high scores and the players in the league with the best hockey visions.

On Slafkovsky in Finland, I followed him on TPS ever since he arrived. The whole time through I was lower on him than the scouts' rankings(I remember he was top 5 already in 19-20), and the reason for that was pretty much the same.

What I saw in his game was that he was compensating for his issues with his size. He was not making good decisions - he was brute forcing plays that should not have succeeded, but that he got away with due to his size and strength. I guess you could say that he wasn't playing "the right way", and it felt like he struggled to play as a part of the system.

This actually was prevalent throughout his junior career. He had some skill in terms of stickhandling and whatnot, but either way, I always got the sense of him just doing whatever he felt like doing, because he could get away with it.

It would have been great for coaching to address it while he was still in juniors, but they didn't. Not until Liiga, that is. In Liiga, he actually couldn't get away with doing stuff like that, since in Liiga, the players are used to dealing with players stronger than them, and he struggled as a result. The coaching did notice this as well, but he didn't really seem to adapt. Could never properly play as a part of the system.

Internationally, he actually did great that season. Why is that? My theory is that in internationals, the games in general are lacking in structure, since the teams are essentially ragtag squads where the players have been together for just a short while, and that's the type of an environment where this kind of play can work.

But in Liiga, he still kept struggling, even when he received opportunities well beyond what he would have deserved. They tried him giving him ice time, spots on the top lines etc. and he just couldn't deliver. It's not a case of them somehow arbitrarily giving him no chance.

Of course, I did not think that he should have been picked 1st overall, but even if you make the decision, then there's no way one should have thought that he's ready for the NHL, assuming they had watched him play in Liiga.

Since Liiga is not available in North America, I always feel like the scouting for this league is pretty flawed, and appears to mostly consist of box score watching, and international games. Hopefully, they didn't base their decision solely on international performances.

@Mrb1p
This the guy I was talking about yesterday

Reactions: Mrb1p

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
The issue is gally isn't an NHLer without Monahan. So what line combo do we use to both give ourselves a chance to offload guys like Pearson and gally and also develop guys like Slaf without blatantly tanking or letting people know poor play gets rewarded if you were drafted first?

I'm at the point where Slaf has to go to Laval. He is not an NHL player right now. Even just for a month or two.
I think Gally is a prototypical 4th liner and I agree Slaf needs the AHL

Reactions: Mrb1p

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I think Gally is a prototypical 4th liner and I agree Slaf needs the AHL
Playing with Monahan someone will look at him as a top 9 player. Nobody wants a fourth liner at 6.5 cap hit and 8-9 mil real dollars. Even when we watch him play he isn't creating stuff on his own, he's getting points off of the work Monahan or the D do. He'd still be at 0 points on the fourth line in my opinion. He certainly plugs well enough in that support role that he's ok on the third. Far too slow to move up.

I feel like getting out of gallys contract would be a godsend if Hughes can pull it off.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Since Liiga is not available in North America, I always feel like the scouting for this league is pretty flawed, and appears to mostly consist of box score watching, and international games. Hopefully, they didn't base their decision solely on international performances.

I would assume they have local amateur scouts ;) that being said, I am based in Europe and feel like scouting rankings in Liiga and SHL are usually puzzling. This is not only an Habs issue.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
His scouting is deficient on the basis that Slaf isn’t producing at whatever clip you wanted him to 50 games into his nhl career?

They are supposed to be drafting based on character or whatever their justifications are... And then I look at Slaf, who has 0 motor and Mesar who does nothing for 90 percent of his shifts...

This may turn out okay, but it's not looking good.

And the 2023 pick is a whole other story... And I do like Reinbacher...

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
His scouting is deficient on the basis that Slaf isn’t producing at whatever clip you wanted him to 50 games into his nhl career?
Saying something is wrong with Slafkovsky doesn’t necessarily have to be related with his production… Look at the games...

Also, more and more hockey people are saying/wondering what the heck is Montreal doing with him. It doesn’t mean they are right but it is passed concerning.

Is the source of all this bad scouting? Who knows. But to dismiss the problem is wrong.

I hope that Slafkovsky has the brains to ask to be sent down. Pacioretty did it because he wanted to play more, why not Slafkovsky?

If I was his agent I would definitely have this conversation with him. It also makes a good story for everyone (no one looks bad).

Reactions: Takeru

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
So would management be hesitant to send him down because that is a reflection on their drafting? Especially if the last 2 games were tough, I feel its all about timing and optics with this team

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
The problem with your analogy is simple.

Slaf =/= Tesla Motors

Tesla Motors stock were already high at that point and their historic rise was mostly constant. So far with Slaf, there's absolutely no rise.

There is a lot of similitude. The mob were calling Tesla stocks overvalued, on the verge of bankruptcy, incapable of delivering their command, there was doubt over their factory, etc. In a similar fashion that everyone is now denying Slaf talent, no IQ, no understanding of the game, close of being a bust.

Short float was at an all time high. Like everyone and his mother is now down on Slaf.

Technically speaking, the stock was not in all time high. It was on a basing stage called Weinstein Phase 1(accumulation phase where selling pressure is suddenly meet and sustained by buyers, but the general feeling over the stock is usually very grim.) It took one good Earnings reports to take the stock into stage 2(uptrend stage) and eventually to a massive rise.

One could say Slaf is kinda in a stage 1 in his development whereas some players like Cooley or Mintyukov have already broke out into stage 2.

Obviously, there is a lot of discrepancy between a stock and a hockey player.

But just like the mob were only focusing on the problems and short term, repairable issue. They were blind to the absolute potential and upside in the company.

Its similar to Slaf in which now everyone is dismissing the upside and the skills. Everyone is focusing on short term issue.

Its possible Slaf bust. Its possible we are on the wrong track with him.

But its at your own peril to bet against this kind of potential at 19 years old. He might also just be one earnings report (a couple of goals) from breaking out. Young player performance can explode on a dime. Its witnessable everytime throughout the league. Like Tesla, and although it appears far and impossible right now, Slaf is one good stretch away from seeing his stock at all time high again.

Reactions: Pomee

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
They are supposed to be drafting based on character or whatever their justifications are... And then I look at Slaf, who has 0 motor and Mesar who does nothing for 90 percent of his shifts...

This may turn out okay, but it's not looking good.

And the 2023 pick is a whole other story... And I do like Reinbacher...
Just because you say things doesn’t mean what you’re saying is accurate.
His scouting is deficient because he has a track record of sucking. Slaf isn’t his first pick.
And what does that have to do with Slaf?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The next time you watch Slafkovsky play and think the AHL would be good for him, remember snake oil salesman Bobrov's rock-solid arguments and give your head a shake:

1: The hockey historians are paying attention. They know better than you.

2: What he's done on the big stage is unprecedented. A bit vague but it sure sounds impressive.

3: He has the ability to want to take the bulls by the horn. Bulls, plural. Watch out.

4. He wants to own the moment which is a personality trait, not just a hockey skill. Know the difference.

5. He's carrying the mail. How nice of him.

6. He has the pressure of a country on his shoulders and the proof is in the pudding that he kept getting better under that 5 million population. Inspiring.
How to get a job by looking and sounding like the part yet being a helpless moron 101

f*** Mackenzie’s list, the Habs have their own scouts who are paid to get it right. If we don’t need them and should be drafting based on Mackenzie’s list then let’s get rid of them then. They haven’t shown they have much to offer on their own.
Well how could the old boys club afford all those summer golf trips together if none of them are employed anymore?

Best not to rock the boat

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Remove the Gauthier years (2) and the first 6 years of Bergevin's regime where it's now clear Timmins didn't have full control as the picks once TT became AGM were pretty good and Timmins ends-up with a very strong record compared to Bozobrov.
Stop it. "Remove the decade of terrible picks and Timmins was actually good"

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Heading to Detroit Thursday. I hope Slaf is still on this team....I want to see the big boy live. Missed him last year because of his injury. I said it before. Give him a few games with Nick and Cole. We have nothing to lose. Put him on the PP1 over PowerDonkey who literally has the same bullshit production this year as Slaf.

If after a 3-5 or even 10 game stint, Slaf isn't scoring more points, send him down to get some confidence. I'm good with that now. I still think he is a unicorn. But it's a fine balance between exploding or imploding at this point. We should be treading very carefully.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
There is a lot of similitude. The mob were calling Tesla stocks overvalued, on the verge of bankruptcy, incapable of delivering their command, there was doubt over their factory, etc. In a similar fashion that everyone is now denying Slaf talent, no IQ, no understanding of the game, close of being a bust.

Short float was at an all time high. Like everyone and his mother is now down on Slaf.

Technically speaking, the stock was not in all time high. It was on a basing stage called Weinstein Phase 1(accumulation phase where selling pressure is suddenly meet and sustained by buyers, but the general feeling over the stock is usually very grim.) It took one good Earnings reports to take the stock into stage 2(uptrend stage) and eventually to a massive rise.

One could say Slaf is kinda in a stage 1 in his development whereas some players like Cooley or Mintyukov have already broke out into stage 2.

But just like the mob were only focusing on the problems and short term, repairable issue. They were blind to the absolute potential and upside in the company.

Its similar to Slaf in which now everyone is dismissing the upside and the skills. Everyone is focusing on short term issue.

But its at your own peril to bet against this kind of potential at 19 years old. He might also just be one earnings report (a couple of goals) from breaking out. Young player performance can explode on a dime. Its witnessable everytime throughout the league. Like Tesla, and although it appears far and impossible right now, Slaf is one good stretch away from seeing his stock at all time high again.

Stop it, man. Tesla was being supplemented by carbon credits up the wazoo, it was just a matter of time before it picked up. Your analogy is fundamentally flawed as Tesla wasn't nearly at the same place as Slaf. Tesla had already conquered the stock market. Slaf hasn't conquered shit. A fundamental flaw that kills any other parallel you try to make between them.

Slaf is a lot more like Lion right now. Much much better analogy.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
It's these tantalizing highlights that keeps me going.

Well there is valid criticizing but there is also wrong and unfair criticizing.

That he is lost and treat the pucks like a hot potatos at times is one thing.

That he has no skills and no motor is another.

Its up to anyone who wants to bet against this type of upside while solely focusing on short term, surmontable issue.

Reactions: Pomee and waitin425

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
As bas as he looks, you bet against a 19 years old with that skills at your own peril.

Makes me think of the guy who use to short sell Tesla stock in 2020 and then one day he woke up bankrupt with a position 2000% against him. After all it had difficulty delivering car, was on the verge of bankruptcy, etc. Many similarities with the current discourse on Slaf even tho two very different subject.
Tesla was

Stocks, especially ones like Tesla,are such a bad comparison. The price is driven almost completely by hype, speculation and market conditions. Not real world changes.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Stop it, man. Tesla was being supplemented by carbon credits up the wazoo, it was just a matter of time before it picked up. Your analogy is fundamentally flawed as Tesla wasn't nearly at the same place as Slaf. Tesla had already conquered the stock market. Slaf hasn't conquered shit. A fundamental flaw that kills any other parallel you try to make between them.

Slaf is a lot more like Lion right now. Much much better analogy.

I would say its just a matter of times before Slaf picks up man.

He is 19 years old christ. The chance are that he evolves, mature and improves. The anomaly would be that he stagnate.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Stop it. "Remove the decade of terrible picks and Timmins was actually good"

The two years with Gauthier we had very few picks and picked relatively low.

Seriously, go look at the drafting before 2018 and after 2018 until Bergevin/Timmins leave. It's day and night. Yes, we had better drafting power after 2018, but also made much better choices with lesser picks. Bergevin is also a known control freak. Only a promotion like that could change that dynamic and it did. Timmins had to block Bergevin from trading the pick, moments before drafting Caufield, which represents the inverse relationship that probably held before the promotion. Timmins's last 4 drafts were pretty good overall. Couple that with his 6 years with Gainey and we can easily see a strange dive that happened post-2012.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Slaf has no motor!

See for yourself in the first 20 second of this clip!

It does not take a motor nor any power at all to outskate a Franchise level D like Dahlin.

When you are stealing a puck at the blue line you are going to be faster than your opponent because you are facing the puck while he has to turn around. If anything, the fact that the other D managed to come back does not support Slaf being an outstanding skater.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The two years with Gauthier we had very few picks and picked relatively low.

Seriously, go look at the drafting before 2018 and after 2018 until Bergevin/Timmins leave. It's day and night. Yes, we had better drafting power after 2018, but also made much better choices with lesser picks. Bergevin is also a known control freak. Only a promotion like that could change that dynamic and it did. Timmins had to block Bergevin from trading the pick, moments before drafting Caufield, which represents the inverse relationship that probably held before the promotion. Timmins's last 4 drafts were pretty good overall. Couple that with his 6 years with Gainey and we can easily see a strange dive that happened post-2012.
Timmins was dog shit from 03-06 and 2008-2018. That spanned 3 general managers.

Stop it right now.

When you are stealing a puck at the blue line you are going to be faster than your opponent because you are facing the puck while he has to turn around. If anything, the fact that the other D managed to come back does not support Slaf being an outstanding skater.
Omg are we going to have to watch that clip 50 times to prove how good slaf is?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad