Juraj Simek and Sergei Shirokov

DreamCatcher*

What is Shirokov's contract status in the RSL? Has he indicated that he will make the jump next season?

Vman

Mar 10, 2003
hfboards.com
^ I hope so. I want to see what he can do in the AHL. And if he makes the jump, he will have a better chance at making the NHL.

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
didnt shirokov have a great season in the RSL??

He had an excellent start and led league scoring for a while, over and close to PPG pace - an even bigger feat in Russia, playing against men as a 19/20 y.o. (overage '05 eligible draftee) when usually only primary assists are awarded.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
Ok, so I'm hearing a lot of good things in here about Shirokov, so what's the catch? Why isn't there more (any) hype around this kid - even on the Canucks board?

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
He had an excellent start and led league scoring for a while, over and close to PPG pace - an even bigger feat in Russia, playing against men as a 19/20 y.o. (overage '05 eligible draftee) when usually only primary assists are awarded.

They count secondary assists in Russia. And he is 21.

Ok, so I'm hearing a lot of good things in here about Shirokov, so what's the catch? Why isn't there more (any) hype around this kid - even on the Canucks board?

Maybe because there were no videos of his highlights?:sarcasm:

Well, there's a little hype about for example Aaltonen and Hornqvist. They were late rounders, they play in Europe. Aaltonen and Shirokov doesn't play for National team.

-mball

Feb 4, 2007
There's little hype about Shirokov because there is still no guarantee regarding whether or not he will stay in Russia. He has been identified as a solid NHL prospect but if he doesn't decide to come play overseas then he is no use to the Canucks.

As for Simek, he should get a chance to prove himself next year in Manitoba. I think he went unchallenged this season in Brandon and he'll have to step it up next season.

Vman

Mar 10, 2003
hfboards.com
Here's some updated info on Simek and Shirokov:

Sergei Shirokov: Far off in Mother Russia, Sergei Shirokov quietly put together a remarkable season. Selected in the 2006 draft with the draft pick acquired in the Luongo trade, Shirokov used to be both Evgeni Malkin, and Alexander Ovechkin’s wingers in the IIHF WJHC. Shirokov saw a lot of time on their 3rd line, compiling 16 goals and 18 assists through the season. He stayed true to his laurels and remained as a strong skating flashy winger who has tremendous vision. His play really excelled during the playoffs with CSKA, he was the teams leading scorer in the playoffs and carried them through 2 rounds. Shirokov’s best chance at making the NHL will come late-June, during the International transfer window. He has the skills to make it on a Canuck roster in training camp.

Juraj Simek: The Canucks other top CHL prospect, Simek was brought over to North America after being selected by the Wheat Kings in the CHL import draft. Simek began the year on a tear and quickly amassed over 20 goals and became a serious threat on the power-play. During Christmas, team Switzerland came-a-callin’ and Simek answered. He was the Swiss team’s most productive forward during the WJHC and captured the player of the game award in nearly every contest he competed in. Simek enjoyed a short playoff run with Brandon, where they were eliminated after playing only six games.

Source: http://www.canucks.com/subpage.asp?sectionID=685

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
There's little hype about Shirokov because there is still no guarantee regarding whether or not he will stay in Russia. He has been identified as a solid NHL prospect but if he doesn't decide to come play overseas then he is no use to the Canucks.

That hasn't stopped Canuck fans from salivating over Koltsov.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I think I saw an interview with Shirokov and it sounded like a) he wanted to play in the NHL and b) he had a realistic understanding that he would likely have to go through the AHL Moose. Neither of those things were clear in Koltsov's case.

With Koltsov, I don't know who his agent was, but if reports are accurate, he had very poor representation. Apparently he came to Canucks camp expecting that if he didn't make the team he would automatically just go back to Russia. He didn't understand that the Canucks could assign him to the Moose. So he was surprised and dismayed when he found himself in Winnipeg. If he had known this, he might have also figured out that most NHL teams want their prospects to develop in the AHL under their coaching. This is particularly true for Russian prospects because the Russian system seems to generate a lot of highly skilled players who have no concept of team play.

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
Here's some updated info on Simek and Shirokov:
Sergei Shirokov: Far off in Mother Russia, Sergei Shirokov quietly put together a remarkable season. Selected in the 2006 draft with the draft pick acquired in the Luongo trade, Shirokov used to be both Evgeni Malkin, and Alexander Ovechkin’s wingers in the IIHF WJHC. Shirokov saw a lot of time on their 3rd line, compiling 16 goals and 18 assists through the season. He stayed true to his laurels and remained as a strong skating flashy winger who has tremendous vision. His play really excelled during the playoffs with CSKA, he was the teams leading scorer in the playoffs and carried them through 2 rounds. Shirokov’s best chance at making the NHL will come late-June, during the International transfer window. He has the skills to make it on a Canuck roster in training camp.

Juraj Simek: The Canucks other top CHL prospect, Simek was brought over to North America after being selected by the Wheat Kings in the CHL import draft. Simek began the year on a tear and quickly amassed over 20 goals and became a serious threat on the power-play. During Christmas, team Switzerland came-a-callin’ and Simek answered. He was the Swiss team’s most productive forward during the WJHC and captured the player of the game award in nearly every contest he competed in. Simek enjoyed a short playoff run with Brandon, where they were eliminated after playing only six games.

Source: http://www.canucks.com/subpage.asp?sectionID=685

I'd wager both writeups benefit from more than a fair bit of positive spin- see the blurbs on Rahimi, Vincent, even Bernier (and Saraurer!) on the same page. Numbers aside, I wouldn't trust the objectivity of that prospect report.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Because the chances of signing him appear to be slim. On talent, he would have been a 2nd-3rd round pick in 2006 - was already a good player in the RSL and had a couple standout WJCs. But he fell because he was unlikely to sign, and nothing has really changed. Will be making $1 million+ tax free in Russia very soon the way he's going, and that makes coming to NA and earning $80k to play in the AHL not very appetizing.

Simek has some really nice tools - decent size, good skater, NHL wristshot - but appears to be a 'typical Swiss' softish player. Got off to a great start in the WHL, but faded badly down the stretch. Unclear at this point whether he'll sign and go to Manitoba or return to Switzerland, in which case we'll lose his rights in a year.

HS

May 17, 2006
Shirokov signed new 2-year contract in May. So it is quiet unlikely that he will come to NHL until 09/10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad