Juraj Simek and Sergei Shirokov

synobyte

Canucks Cultist
Mar 23, 2007
100 mile house
ive been looking around to see if the canucks signed Simek but i cant find anythng.
but on the moose website it has him listed as a player, anyone no something i dont

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
Shirokov signed new 2-year contract in May. So it is quiet unlikely that he will come to NHL until 09/10.

You're mistaking that with Koltsov who had signed a 2-year contract which pretty much eliminates any chance of him coming to the NHL.

Shirokov is still a possibility.

windflare

May 31, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Shirokov signed new 2-year contract in May. So it is quiet unlikely that he will come to NHL until 09/10.

False. Slitty can attest to this.

As for Simek being a typically soft Euro, MS, you really need to watch some of his games instead of judging upon stats and 'fading' - he is not the most physical player, but he doesn't shy away from the rough stuff. Also, do remember that it is his first season in NA, and this style of hockey does take a bit of adjustment, especially with a long season and playoffs. Also, he was injured for a while before coming back, which might explain the decline in his level of play.

Also, there has been no indication from Simek that he's interested in going back to Switzerland. There has been news in the Swiss news that he has been offered, or is in the process of negotiating, an entry-level contract with the Canucks. That, and the fact that he's attending the Canucks Prospects Development camps, should be a very strong indication of his willingness to stay and play here.

EDIT: Simek Signed, per eurohockey.net

ch Juraj Simek (F)
From ca Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL) to ca Vancouver Canucks (NHL)
Added By: Davide Tuniz, Status: Confirmed
SUI/SVK

Last edited:

Bully73

Jul 22, 2004
Brandon
Simek - Early on in the season, this guy made WK games very exciting and was easily worth the price of admission alone. In his first shootout of the year he made an unbelievable deke showing incredible hands. He also would routinely come off the half boards and move out into the slot and wire wrist shots top shelf. He has the tools of a sniper, but he doesn't have the consistency, work ethic, or grittyness needed against tight checking teams.

After the World Juniors, he was invisible for the second half of the season, particularly against tight checking teams. Against the poorer defensive teams, he would still score some goals with his move from the half boards out into the slot. Against the tight checking teams though, he never had a chance to make this move and never generated any offense against these teams. He has a lot of work to do if he is going to make it to the next level, but he has the tools to do it if he would learn to fight through the checking.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
False. Slitty can attest to this.

As for Simek being a typically soft Euro, MS, you really need to watch some of his games instead of judging upon stats and 'fading' - he is not the most physical player, but he doesn't shy away from the rough stuff. Also, do remember that it is his first season in NA, and this style of hockey does take a bit of adjustment, especially with a long season and playoffs. Also, he was injured for a while before coming back, which might explain the decline in his level of play.

I've watched him play, both strong games early in the season and ones later in the year where you couldn't find him with a program. He's soft. Note that my comments jive almost exactly with the Wheat Kings fan posting later in the thread.

If he's signed, that's good news and my hunch there was wrong. But pretty much every comment you'll see out of Brandon will be to the effect that he checked out in the second half of the season.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
You're mistaking that with Koltsov who had signed a 2-year contract which pretty much eliminates any chance of him coming to the NHL.

Shirokov is still a possibility.

Why?

Koltsov has left (a) team(s) before, and while I understand the circumstances, he wouldn't be the first Russian player to leave their contract and come to the NHL.

fogducker

Jul 26, 2006
shirkov signed a 2 year contract with cksa.. I've asked people on the russian board and they have confirmed it. Hopefully Shirkov can pull off a Malkin and come over with his teammate Kablukov.

RussianProspects

Feb 14, 2003
www.russianprospects.com
I confirm that Shirokov signed a 2 year deal to stay with CSKA. It'll be interesting to see how him and Parshin adjust to life after Nikulin. Shirokov did have a strong season, and has already actually proven that he can do it without Nikulin (who was injured for a good chunk of the year). Parshin had a strong season too, so the two of them fed off each other a bit. I wouldn't call it a super season by NHL prospect mark, but I would call it a great season for Shirokov, who first struggled to make the Super League (a couple of seasons back) despite strong international play, then had a good 2005-06 campaign, and built on it during 2006-07. Like Parshin people kept believing in him and Shirokov came through.

By the way, we decided to open up Shirokov's profile from premium content:
http://www.russianprospects.com/public/profile.php?player_id=297

RussianProspects.com is monetized by Google Adsense.

If you enjoyed reading the profile, please support RussianProspects.com and help us keep the website running. Your support would be greately appreciated!

Last edited:

synobyte

Canucks Cultist
Mar 23, 2007
100 mile house
I confirm that Shirokov signed a 2 year deal to stay with CSKA. It'll be interesting to see how him and Parshin adjust to life after Nikulin. Shirokov did have a strong season, and has already actually proven that he can do it without Nikulin (who was injured for a good chunk of the year). Parshin had a strong season too, so the two of them fed off each other a bit. I wouldn't call it a super season by NHL prospect mark, but I would call it a great season for Shirokov, who first struggled to make the Super League (a couple of seasons back) despite strong international play, then had a good 2005-06 campaign, and built on it during 2006-07. Like Parshin people kept believing in him and Shirokov came through.

By the way, we decided to open up Shirokov's profile from premium content:
http://www.russianprospects.com/public/profile.php?player_id=297

RussianProspects.com is monetized by Google Adsense.

If you enjoyed reading the profile, please support RussianProspects.com and help us keep the website running. Your support would be greately appreciated!

awesome thanks for the profile. do you have any info related on the canucks asking him to move to Na

Chioster

Jan 22, 2007
Well did anyone forget, his pick was traded along with Luongo.

Luongo, Krajicek, 6th rounder(Sharikov) for basically now Allen.

RussianProspects

Feb 14, 2003
www.russianprospects.com
I have not heard any talk of him coming over...but as you have seen in the past that usually happens pretty suddenly with the Russians. I do think he has significant NHL potential though and is really a hard worker to go along with his skill and flare (remember the Russia - Canada Chanllenge...)

synobyte

Canucks Cultist
Mar 23, 2007
100 mile house
moose roster is looking pretty good next year

raymond moran grabner
jaffray shannon balej
simek classen hansen
brown bliznak keane

edler bourdon
rahimi mciver
heska fitzgerald
yeo

schneider
mcintyre

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
This whole thread is probably better on the Canucks but to reponse here

Shirokov was definitely not at the Canuck camp last year and not at the prospects training camp.

Far as the Moose roster goes

You have to find spots for Fortunas and probably Sharrow and Kelly. Quite likely that Rahimi and Yeo start in Victoria. Edler might well start the season in Vancouver.

Also it is likely that Genoway and Bolduc make the Moose. Bliznak is almost for sure in Victoria.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->