Junior Inter Squad Game - Vancouver

Status
Not open for further replies.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Assessing National Junior Inter squad game. These are my impressions of some of the players tonite. No doubt others will disagree and you can take this for what’s it worth. I use to scout for local rep teams and thus have some experience in evaluating players. Many players not included. I only included those that stood out in some way or that I was able to keep an eye on.

The Good

1. Latendresse – though he tired in the third but was excellent around the net. Showed a great release. Much smoother and faster than advertised. Montreal may have a complete steal. Looked way better than O’Marra.

2. Blake Comeau - very strong effort in every phase of the game. Banged, scrapped and controlled play when out there. Guy looks like a he’ll be a good pro.

3. Luc Bourdon – just crushed guys with checks . Big and mobile and plays hard. Something of Phaneuf in his game. Showed good leadership and moved puck well. He is a fantastic skater. As a Canuck fan kept pinching myself to think that this guy was actually drafted by the Canucks.

4. Ryan Parent - very steady. Makes the right play all the time and showed good strength in bumping people off the puck. Very smooth player.

5.David Bolland - created a lot of offense. His line was threat all night. Looked very quick out there and kept a lot pressure on the puck.

6. Kris Chuckoo – very strong on the puck and played well in traffic. Reminded me of Getzlaf. Made some nice setups

7. Scott Jackson – solid game - took care of his own end and moved puck effectively. Skated well and seemed to have little trouble handling speed of the game

The Ordinary

1. Gilbert Brule – few flashes but his skating was just ordinary in this company. He looked a long way from being ready to do much in NHL. Columbus is going to have be patient.

2. Alex Bourrett – like Smyl had cloned himself. Really didn’t do much for most of the game. In fact seemed to get lost in traffic. However shot on winning goal was major league. Was not the physical force he was in Prospects game.

3. Marc Staal - was inconsistent. However when he did look good looked very good. Still a little awkward.

4. Cam Barker – steady. Maybe wasn’t really exerting himself. However clearly superior in this company.

5. Corey Price - when he first came in looked brilliant. Was extremely quick and
and well positioned. However later gave up rebounds and mishandled the puck. You could see the major league promise in Price. Upside looks huge.

6. Steve Downie – Puck seemed to follow him around. Did a good job on the boards and got to the net well . However he is slow and not that big

7. Andrew Cogilano – expected more but he was basically invisible. Was eliminated from the play far too easily

8. Dan Bertram - fought hard but was weak on the puck and easily bounced off it. Another guy that got easily eliminated from the game. Just didn’t look strong enough to be out there. Did give it an effort however.

9. McArdle – gave it a very big effort and had some success along the boards. However never ended up doing anything with the puck. He seems to hesitate and look before doing things. Needs to get more flow into his play. Looks undersized for the type of game he is trying to play

10. Julien Ellis-Plante. – very quick and agile but smallish. Shots that beat him, particularly that of Latendresse, were unstoppable but he did not seem to be covering a lot of net.

11. Pelletier – looked much like Plante. Was no better than average.

The Bad

1. Chad Denny – handled the puck very poorly and made numerous turnovers. Could not handle the pressure. Fell over several times

2. Boris Fistric - Looked lost. Tried to make up for poor plays by getting belligerent but ended up only taking bad penalties. Looked totally unable to handle the speed of the game.

3. Michael Funk – got eaten up by the speed. Constantly being stripped of the puck. Every shift was an adventure.

4. Devan Dubnyk - muffed shots and gave out juicy rebounds. Goes down early and leaves top corners open. At the pro level they won’t take long to figure this out and abuse him. Price is very obviously superior. I fear for Canada if Dubnyk starts based on what I saw tonite.

5. Ryan O’ Marra – really got banged around – particularly by Bourdon. Lost most of his face-offs and couldn’t force the puck out of his end. Was nothing of an offense threat and coughed up puck on many occasions. As the game went on he just seemed to sag.

6. Benoit Pouliot – did absolutely nothing. Never really competed for the puck and in fact rarely had it. Had to search to find him on the ice. Based on this game you cut him.

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
I agree that Brule wasn't at his best and did show a few flashes. Brule beat a D Man one on one on his first shift and lost the puck as he was cutting accross the front of the net. That was his "flash". He has plenty of speed when he wants to use it. He just doesn't appear to be playing all out in this part of the season. He spent many of his shifts killing penalties and made several smart passing and playmaking plays during the game.

Brule is doing very well considering this is an EVALUATION camp, not a regular game. His hockey season doesn't start until late September or early October so he is not ready to be all out. It's August. I wouldn't put a lot of weight in what you think you see in his "ordinary skating" in this group. Brule is a superior skater. I think he will be using that speed to make the Columbus Bluejackets. We will know in 2 months.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Any second or differing opinions on Cogliano or Dubnyk? I had heard both looked solid and effective?

Is this a jealous Nucks fan? Did they have an off night? Are they not all they are cracked up to be?

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
salostyle said:
Any second or differing opinions on Cogliano or Dubnyk? I had heard both looked solid and effective?

Is this a jealous Nucks fan? Did they have an off night? Are they not all they are cracked up to be?
Dubnyk was not great. Cogliano has AMAZING speed, wow. But he played decent at best, seemed to be easy to knock around. But his skating was amazing.

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
orcatown said:
3. Michael Funk – got eaten up by the speed. Constantly being stripped of the puck. Every shift was an adventure.

Much as I'd like to be more positive about him, this has been the norm for him over the past couple of years. Especially every shift being an adventure. Not sure if he has done it at this camp yet, but he will make some really bone headed decisions with the puck around his net too (like very slow cross ice passes right in front of his own net).

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
salo - I went to the game being willing to be totally impressed with Cogliano - heard he had good camp at Whister and was fun to watch. Tonite he just didn't do anything. They mostly had him on the wing when it looked like he might be better off at center.

I sat right behind Dubnyk and he was fighting the puck. First goal wasn't really his fault but the second one was very poor. By sitting right behind him you could see
how he was misjudging his butterfly. And once he was down he was down. Played a lot from his knees or in the butterfly position I saw plenty of Dubnyk last year and was never that impressed. To me he gets off balanced by leaning forward too much. I think Price clearly outplayed him last year and last night.

However, Sutter knows a lot more about goal-tending than I do and he must see something he likes. But, overall, I think goal-tending may be a problem on the Junior Team this year. In the end I think they must go with Price.

btw - I don't dislike Edmonton any where near as much as Calgary-- yet I have to admit theat Chuckoo is looking good.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Personally I was impressed with Latendresse and Bourret. Bourdon, Barker and Staal were outstanding. The goaltending was a bit sketchy but never having seen Ellis-Plante play before, he was pretty good. However, I think Price will definitely be the stater. Brule was nearly invisible out there and Pouliot, too. Enjoyable game overall.

On another note, I love the 3v3 drills of pond hockey. Luongo and Theodore were great. But there some great plays by Yzerman, Heatley, Sakic and especially St. Louis. My god does St. Louis have skill. He flies up and down the ice and he pulled off some amazing moves. Not sure why Calgary ever got rid of him.

skerbud

Feb 28, 2005
Could someone give a recap of the guys from the ohl... downie , reddox, kennedy,pouliot, pyatt,wolski,etc.. would appreciated it. :confused:

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
Downie has a good chance to make the team. Sutter really fell in love with this kid. He could be this years Fraser or MacArthur.

From the Vancouver Sun:
Sutter said Downie was one of two or three players to really standout in Friday's scrimmage. "He's someone you hate to play against but love to have on your team," said Sutter.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
orcatown said:
4. Cam Barker – steady. Maybe wasn’t really exerting himself. However clearly superior in this company.

Get used to this. As a Tiger fan this is exactly what we saw every game last year: steady, obvioulsy superior but "really wasn't exerting himself". And for this reason he MIGHT not do well in the NHL.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Peter said:
Get used to this. As a Tiger fan this is exactly what we saw every game last year: steady, obvioulsy superior but "really wasn't exerting himself". And for this reason he MIGHT not do well in the NHL.

Hes a lock to make the team. That may be why hes coasting.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
LaLaLaprise said:
Hes a lock to make the team. That may be why hes coasting.
One thing with Sutter is I highly doubt there are any locks to make this team. Barker is a close as it comes, along with Dave Bolland, but there are no locks.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
This was the report I gave in my fantasy hockey league to the 29 fellow GMs in it. It is based off of intra squad games 1 and 2 in Whistler which I attended.

Now I dont really know how to give my report so I'll just go down the list for each team and say what I saw from them in the 2 games. Though I also went to a team white practice in the morning of saturday, but had to leave before team red started. Dont be shocked when I give some bad reports. One player in particular stood out as not really belonging at the camp.

Team Red:
Julien Ellis-Plante- Plante played the first intrasquad game for team red and pretty much played solid all day. Decent movement and in good position most of the time. Lets out some rebounds but generally controls them to the corners and what not. I really didnt focus on him alot. He was very solid all around but also didnt face as much action as Dubnyk did. Of the two goalies in the first day Id say Dubnyk was better.

Carey Price- Like I had predicted he kinda sucked. I really dislike his standup butterfly hybrid style. He is pretty big and generally gets in the way of the puck but sometimes I think he relies on positioning and doesnt have very much raw skills, he isnt all that quick with reflexes but is just kinda a big body and has good positioning for a standup kid. Overall I still think he is the 2nd-3rd best goalie of the 05 draft. Got lit up in game 2, had 4 goals against but they were all pretty early, shut the door late to keep his team in it but all together some of the goals were pretty weak.

Kris Russel- He was pretty good, really good outlet passes and actually played the body to the best of his ability on one on ones, I think if he was bigger hed have been drafted alot higher, good hockey sense and paired with Bourdon they were probably the best tandem at the camp IMO. An offensive dman, I was impressed though.

Luc Bourdon- Definately the best to 2nd best defenceman at the camp. Hes a player for sure and IMO solidified his position in the 05 draft as the 2nd best defenceman selected. Hes got a really nice shot from the point and seems to get it off pretty quick. Finishes his assignements on defence as well and doesnt run around too much. Sometimes he gets caught out of position by taking a run at a guy in his own end but alltogether I was very impressed with him. He'll be on the team for sure.

Marc Fistric- I liked him more last year, I thought last year he looked like one of the best dmen out there and that was with Phaneuf and Coburn and what not. This year he just blended in, made some solid plays but nothing spectacular, his position on the team is up in the air.

Michael Funk- IMO a darkhorse dman, he was pretty good out there, made alot of solid plays in his own end and had some decent offence. I quite like this kid, if he fills out he could be a number 4 dman or so.

Dustin Kohn- Aside from faking an injury or else getting really winded or something he didnt do anything that caught my eye, I still like his skating and what not, I think he just was a bit out of place here. He didnt look like he didnt belong but he wasnt as good as he was as a hitmen when the competition wasnt as high.

Chad Denny- Easilly the worst player at the camp, there was one time he made a huge blunder where he tried a pass out of the defence right up the middle only to have it picked off for a 2 on 1 which ignited Brent Sutter and the entire coaching staff into laughter atop a cherry picker on the side of the arena with no seating. I cant remember who told me to draft him where I took Plante but Im glad I didnt. He made 3-4 plays that actually just looked awful, he missed a pinch in to keep the puck in where he actually just like missed it, it was sliding flat on the ice and he just missed it and it led to a 2 on 1. Someone asked if he looked overweight and I would have to say yes, he has quite a chubby face and looked pretty thick. He might have a bit of potential but right now hes easilly a step behind everyone, slow at turning and doesnt have much skill when carrying the puck up, he had it stripped lots. You can find a player of his calibre at most outdoor rinks during the winter on most given nights.

Marc Staal- Im pretty glad I didnt keep my 9th pick and hope that he fell to it, also glad he didnt. Cause if he was there I was going to pick him and I woulda been mad I took him over Bourdon. Staal is not a bad hockey player but hes not great either. Hes what the scouting reports say IMO. He was better on day 1 but didnt have alot of standout plays, which is what he was drafted for. He had one rush almost coast to coast that was pretty impressive but all in all just a pretty safe pick. Definately belongs there but doesnt offer any elite tools.

Scott Jackson- Another player much like Funk, he impressed. For where he was drafted I think he was a steal. Shoulda gone top 20 or so. Played a solid game, good on defence, him and Staal were very solid. He has some offence too. I cant remember any particular plays but there were a few times where I was like "dang I wish I had drafted him" so he looks pretty good IMO.

Fowards, now I came to this camp scouting forwards more than defence so alot of my defencemen reports are pretty short so to speak, I really dont watch a defenceman play defence as much as I watch a forward try to beat a defenceman, its just who I am, so I cant pick out a good defensive defenceman as well as a good offensive forward I guess.

Kris Chucko- As a Flames fan I watched him almost everytime he was on the ice. I had never seen him before this tournament and he impressed. Hes never going to be a high end forward but I think his package is impressive, he offers desire grit size and some scoring potential. Him and Boyd would make a great combo someday. I love how he never backs down. Him and Rogers were at it both nights, they almost got in some fights. Chucko threw a fist in some scrums on several occasions, if some guy like shoves him he just throws a hook. He is pretty fearless. Works hard in the corners and has some alright skills. He isnt flashy at all but his shot is pretty nice. Im not sure what he'll develop into but hes a Sutter player for sure.

Bryan Little- I was trying to watch him all tourney but I couldnt really see him anywhere. He might still be a bit out of his league as an 88 player. He had 2 goals in like 3 minutes in game 2 and both were pretty nice. Just nice shots, put one through the goalies legs after bringing it out from the corner and the other he skated across the net and just put it in the corner. Looks pretty skillful but didnt standout by any means. I thought hed impress more but I guess you cant expect much from an 88. I still have no opinion as to what I think he'll become yet.

Steve Downie- I now have more hate for the Flyers. This kid is a fricken *** and I would not be surprised if he left camp injured. He constantly head hunts and takes shots at guys. Always hooking, trash talking, hitting, spearing, slashing. Just a dirty player in my book. Though I hate to admit he is a bit of a Sutter player. I just hate him though, he might get his clock cleaned before this camp is out. Super dirty, I cant get that point across enough. There was one play off the draw he was lined up against Bertram and imediately after the puck is dropped he slashes bertram who retaliates with a slash of his stick. (Downie slashed bertrams glove) As the play develops Downie is in his own end circling the net after his fellow dman gets caught up, Bertram takes about three strides from the other side of the net and just floors Downie, everyone loved it. He nailed him, a silimar hit to the Bourret on Staal in the top prospects game. So Downie takes it and slashes more that shift, then the next face off hes lined up against bertram again and just as the pucks dropped downie swings his stick at bertrams head and stops probably 3-4 inches from his face, pretty disgusting that hed actually just fake that. I wouldnt be surprised if he does it for real someday when he gets really rattled. After he got smoked the whole team white bench was like "You like that downie you little ***?" and crap, so everyone hates him. He will get injured before he amounts to anything unless he changes his style cause everyone wants to injure him.

Kyle Chipchura- I didnt get to see him much at all last year, this year he was pretty impressive, much like Staal a safe player. Should be a 2nd liner or so but not a high end one, just a guy that puts in his shifts everynight. Solid player. Impressed for being hurt all year.

Dustin Boyd- This is the 6th-7th time Ive seen Boyd and he still impresses me. Hes kinda like Clarke Macarthur last year. He should make the team. Stood out quite a bit in day 1 but not as much in day 2. He is always in the play when hes on, you catch yourself saying "who was that" alot with him, really hard worker and gets rewarded for it. He isnt so good at finishing but he gets chances from hard work. Digs in the corners, scrappy, skilled, if he had more height hed be a shoe in. But I think his spot on the team is pretty safe as a role similar to MacArthurs last year. Solid prospect, should make the NHL as a 3rd line 10-15 goal guy.

Tyler Kennedy- I didnt come to the camp wanting to scout him much at all, I wont lie I know pretty much nothing about him and he didnt stand out as good or bad. Got robbed once on a semi break in game 2 as Philippe flashed the leather on a nice shot. No report really.

Liam Reddox-Didnt come to scout him, nothing really to report, cant remember one play where I asked myself "whos number 20" after one of his plays (he was number 20)

Gilbert Brule- Was impressive this camp, I remember one game against the hitmen mid year where I thought he sucked and would never go #2 overall. I guess it was just a bad game. Hes not unreal or anything but hes a really good player. Almost an all around player. I love how he hits guys and hits them hard. Hes got a bit of a mean streak and isnt a ****, I really like that. His offence wasnt anything to spectacular but his vision is quite good. He didnt score any goals I dont think and didnt have a ton of chances either. He played a solid 2 games for sure though, I like him and would love to have him on my team. Not sure what he'll end up as, prob 2nd line or better NHL.

Blake Comeau- I never even knew who this guy was even after the 2004 draft cause I didnt really pay attention to that draft alot. I quite like him, he has size and some skill. Pretty solid player, created chances by leaning on guys with the puck. Pretects the puck quite well and uses his size. Could develop into a decent power forward type player. I like him. He should be able to make the team but no guarantees. Its pretty up in the air all around.

Alex Bourret- Wasnt as offensive as I thought he was but played his typical game. I still like him as a player and i think he'll make the big league. Hes solid much like Brule but not as good obviously. Played good all over the ice and uses his body well. Hes not slow or anything based on his weight for such a short player. I like him and have since the top prospects game. Not sure if he'll make the squad or not but he should be there the following year, I could see him developing into a player who rises his stock as the year progresses, though it cant really rise much since he was a pretty high pick.

Evan Mcgrath- Pretty impressive skillset, didnt crash and bang much. A bit more of a finesse player, though he doesnt have alot of moves. Likes the puck on his stick and looked good at times. Was better on day 1, didnt notice him alot on day 2 but he definately has skills. A steal for sure for the redwings, though I dont think the steal of the draft.

Michael Blunden- Blunden impressed at times, showed flashes of being a top end prospect as he was ranked at the start of the year. I like him and think his stock could rise as well, nice offence good size etc. Solid player for where he was picked, I dunno why he fell really though, was he injured all year? He coulda gone anywhere in thsi years draft thouhg, its pretty wide open. Played well.

Team White:

Goaltending:
Devan Dubnyk- Let in two softies, one was realllllly soft, as his team lost I think 3-1 on day 1. He was solid though, faces alot more shots than Plante and impressed me more this year than last. Hes got quick legs for sure and a pretty good blocker. I think he'll be a good goalie, hes got some good reflexes and for a big man he moves relatively well. I actually like him even though I made fun of him cause hes an oilers prospect. Was the better goalie of the two on day 1 in a losing effort. Still lets out alot of rebounds but makes the first save most of the time. Was unfortunate he let in an early softy and one that was questionable later too.

Pierre-Olivier Pelletier- Has a really good glove, or so it seems. He made 4-5 glove saves including the one mentioned previously on Kennedy. I still dont know about him too much but he played well, didnt let in any softies and stopped alot of shots as team red I believe outshot team white both matches. Won the game for team white including stopping 3-4 shots with 25 seconds or so to go in the game in game 2. Has me wanting to learn more about him.

Cam Barker- Definately looks like a senior out there, him and Bourdon IMO are above all the other defencemen. He is really smooth and makes people pay the price in his zone. You all probably know what hes about. Good player, talks alot when hes on the ice and keeps things cool. Looks poised. Like a vet.

Kristopher Letang- Had some plays where I checked my sheet to see who number 16 was. Didnt stand out much at all though. Was solid though. No big blunders, not alot to report.

Marc Edouard Vlasic- I havent even heard his name this year which is weird cause he went 35th overall, I guess I still need to do work in my draft couting. He didnt make any big mistakes and made 2 big plays that I can think of, one was scoring a goal and one was a really good breakup on a 2 on 1, I think he slid into the passer and knocked it away with them not even getting a pass or shot off. I want to learn more about him.

Ryan Parent- Actually invisible, I couldnt even tell you his number if I wanted to off the top of my head. I dont know if this is a good or bad thing mind you. Everyone said he was more defensive than offesnive but I thought I woulda seen more outta him. I cant think of a single play where I was like "nice play by Parent" to the guys next to me. Still unsure of what my opinion on him is, probably a safe prospect since he didnt make mistakes but doesnt offer much more than a stay at home presence.

Andy Rogers- Punishes guys for sure and moves the puck pretty well. I actually dont know a ton about him as he was traded before I got into Hitmen hockey last year. Hes a big guy and punishes guys as him and Chucko got into it. Solid player, pretty mobile for his size and looked good as one of the bigger dmen. I always did like him more than Schultz though so who knows.

Brendan Mikkelson- I came wanting to see what he had to offer since he impressed me alot in the 3-4 games I saw of him in the u-18s and top prospects game. I only can think of one play where I noticed him. That was a scrum in the corner where he got into one of the bigger named guys' face. Not sure about him just yet but he is pretty slick and skates fast, bit more offensive than defensive. A bit of a letdown for me, though I woulda seen more of him than I did, not as much of a standout as at the other events.

Logan Stephenson- Had a few plays that impressed including a nice offensive play that if I remember correctly led to a goal, not to mention some solid punishing plays in the defence. I still dont know alot about him but I want to learn more, hes intriguing.

Marc-Andre Gragani- I like this kid, I still dont know alot, in fact hardly any but there was 4-5 plays where I checked my paper to see who number 4 was on team white. Punished guys on defence, stood out more on defence than offence. Im going to follow this guy a bit more and get a better opinion.

Forwards:
Benoit Pouliot- Well, hes my guy. I pretty much knew what to expect from him coming in. Even though Id only seen him for one full game and a couple shifts all year I pretty much knew what I was drafting when I did. I think he has upside. He showed flashes of brilliance in this camp but he still seems very very raw. He can skate really quick for his size and has amazing stick skills. Super smooth all around, if anyone stood out at the camp for slick moves it was him. Though that might not be a good thing. He still is a high risk high reward guy but hes nothing like Ladd of last year, he will make it to the NHL in some form or another and most likely as a top line guy. He just needs someone to take him under his wing. Hes still a bit of a **** and doesnt ever go get the puck himself but when he gets the puck he makes things happen. Was on the PK a few times and I just shook my head at the coach cause he actually does nothing but have good positioning on the PK. Like I said he wont go get the puck himself too often. Sometimes he floats and resembles a euro but I think Sutter will whip him into shape if he makes the team. There were a few times where hed lay a hard hit or stick his glove in someones face, so he knows hes a big kid and can use that size but hes learning how. I love what he brings thouhg, he could be lights out in the NHL if he pulls it all together. Amazing skill size and speed. We'll see I guess. He got pulled aside in the morning practice by sutter after everyone left the ice aside from the goalies and the goalie coach. So I think Sutter is willing to put some time into this kid which makes me happy. We'll see what happens next season with him. I am worried about the pick but more so only cause its a 3rd overall selection and IMO you HAVE to make that pick work, but I love his upside but hate his euro style, thats more what scares me. We'll see, he could be amazing.

Andrew Cogliano- Didnt do a ton but there were 2-3 plays where him and Pouliot were pretty awesome together, Cogliano showed some quick bursts as hes known to do and scored a good goal off the rush. I like his speed and skill, should be a player.

Guillame Latendresse- Despite scoring a goal I still think he has almost no offensive potential. I dunno how he puts up numbers cause hes very average in my books. I still think he coulda slid even more. Hes got some size and plays with good players but he doesnt stand out at all. I think if anyone is the Andrew Ladd this year its this guy. He seems like he'll amount to something but not a high scorer thats for sure. Might be a role player. We'll see.

Wojtek Wolski- Was dissapointed in him this year. I thought he would come out and be a leader on this team and show some amazing skills. Hes got a nice inside out move that he uses but he wasnt as skilled as I remembered. Last year he almost seemed better which is weird. When he got the puck last year I paid attention cause he made plays. I wonder about his attitude, Ive heard things about him. Hes still pretty good but I thought the difference in him and the new comers woulda been greater. I dunno what he'll amount too. He has bulked up though. Still can be exciting and has some tools, but much like Pouliot plays like a euro at times.

Aaron Gagnon- No report, didnt really pay attention, didnt stand out.

Dave Bolland- I still love this kid. Hes really good IMO. Plays a similar game to Boyd, hard worker, small, skilled. He seems to make things happen on the ice. I wanted the flames to draft this guy last year and I think Chi should be happy with him. He makes things happen and has a good work ethic. I like what he offers, just wish he were bigger. Could be a 2nd line guy.

Kenndal McArdle- I think this guy will be a player. Hes good, he didnt put up any numbers or anything but I can just see it. Hes not going to be amazing or anything but I like everything he offers and he works works works. He lives for hockey and that will make him a better player. Competes hard, has skills and knows where to be. Plays a similar game to Craig Conroy almost. Always skating full out and has skills too. I like him more and more everytime I see him. Not as much as Setoguchi though :P

Ryan Omarra- Didnt impress as much as I thought, still looks a bit young out there but hes a player too. I really like his attitude and hockey sense. He just does things right, there was one play where he stole the puck and skated it back to his own end, passed it off to a defender and built up exactly how they did in practice that morning and it was impressive. Very coachable, surefire NHLer IMO, I like his size and skillset and work ethic. He may or may not make this years team but he'll be there next year for sure barring no injuries. Should develop into a safe prospect with 2nd line upside.

Dan Bertram- Levelled Downie so I love him. Not to mention he is from Calgary. My buddies and I were cheering for him and yelled his name a few times after a nice play. I like him, he loves to play hockey as well. Like Mcardle hes always going all out. Not quite as skilled but his speed is unreal. He blew by a defender in game one outside and ended with an offcenter breakaway off his speed alone. I like the kid, still not sure how he'll fair but he should be a player. Coachable etc.

Fredrik Cabana- Pissed that he was here over Setoguchi. He sucks. He doesnt make mistakes really but he offers nothing. Plays a chippy game to make up for his lack of skills. Pretty frustrating to see Sutter favour this guy over Setoguchi.

Cody Bass- Played a similar style to Dave Bolland. I like this kid, hes a darkhorse prospect and Ottawa got a good one for where they took him. He works hard and could develop nicely. Might make it next year, probably not this year. Makes this happen.

Tom Pyatt- I kinda came watching him and didnt really see anything, I think once he made a play that impressed me. Didnt make mistakes. I dunno why everyone was high on him later on in the year. Hes average.

MVP- None, no one really stoodout, its wide open.
Best Goalie- Hmmm its tough, between Plante and Dubnyk, not sold on Pelltier though he played good, Price was the worst :-X
Standouts- Pouliot (skillwise) Bourdon, Denny (for sucking) Boyd in game 1, Little for that 5 mins or so there.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
On Chipchura -- played in bursts.. Overall not noticeable.

Blunden -- not in the play much but seemed to survive the heavy going pretty well. Might question is skill level off what I saw. Did not handle the puck that well IMO

Pyatt, Reddox, Wolski, Kennedy were much the same - moved well without the puck and gave the game a high tempo. However, they were not good enough to get the puck and control it. Did not distinguish themselves but did not look out of place either.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Wow, I love Downey already. He's pissing his opponents off at camp, sounds good to me. Since it appears he has some skill to accompany that attitude, it simply can't wait to watch him develop. Put this kid on a line with Mike Richards in 3 or 4 years and you could have something special.

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
jtuzzi said:
how? I was at the game too, he was nothing special.

Carey Price- Like I had predicted he kinda sucked. I really dislike his standup butterfly hybrid style. He is pretty big and generally gets in the way of the puck but sometimes I think he relies on positioning and doesnt have very much raw skills, he isnt all that quick with reflexes but is just kinda a big body and has good positioning for a standup kid. Overall I still think he is the 2nd-3rd best goalie of the 05 draft. Got lit up in game 2, had 4 goals against but they were all pretty early, shut the door late to keep his team in it but all together some of the goals were pretty weak.

Had a pregame opinion that he would suck and then surprise in his eyes he did suck. Shocker. Doesn't like goaltenders who play that style so he hates Price ... shocker.
Doesn't think he is quick or has natural ability which is just flat out wrong.
3rd best goalie in the draft what a joke. I guess NHL teams were wrong and a guy who states "I'm not much of a scout" is right.
Complains that he is just really good positionally. Hell I'll take a goalie if he is sound positionally over one who is not.
Just a joke of a report on a guy he hated before seeing him at camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad