Post-Game Talk: JUMP TO THE PUMP: Jets have gas in 5-2 win over Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I thought Noel moved Buff to defense
Noel did, but Maurice left him there for awhile until he reigned in the roving a bit. It was under Maurice that Buff hit his true stride as a dominant player IMO. I forget who said it, but I remember a quote early in Jets 2.0 and the person was asked what system they played in Atlanta, (and paraphrasing) the comeback was, everyone watched what Buff did and tried to adapt on the fly.

Reactions: Jets 31 and SUX2BU

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Those 2 coaches just happen to currently be coaching the top 2 teams points % wise in the NHL. How good do you think those 2 teams really are if they are leaving stuff on the table with their current coaches? That's like really, really good.
Like... record breaking top-of-league December 2023 Winnipeg Jets level good?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The bolded is dependent on having more than 3 top line players on a team - but yes, it probably happens frequently on strong teams.

If Jets could put together a 2nd line that would be effective with Ehlers there it would be OK. More so if they also balanced out the TOI a little.

I'm still not sold on Monahan at 2C. His FO ability is appreciated but he still has just 1 assist. That suggests to me that he is not using his wingers very well, though it may be that his wingers have been the problem.

Prior to getting Money, I was hoping that KC would be put with Names and Perfetti when he came back. ESV was really working well and I thought (still do) that Names and Perf needed a finisher. It also might work with Monahan at 2C but it is a little less obvious to me.

Right now, with Vilardi injured again CSE worked very well for a short time. Make up a 2nd line of Nino - Money - Perfetti. Take advantage of Perfetti's playmaking. 3rd line of Barron - Lowry - Namestnikov. Or swap Names and Perf. 4th line of the other guys. BLN can still check and they might even score a bit more.

I don't care how it sorts out either, as long as it sorts out. Continually dumping on Ehlers is not being sorted out.

I agree on Monahan. We are starting to see a bit of his limitations 5 on 5. He doesn't generate much offense on his own. What he's very good at is playing that bumper spot on the PP. His line has three 5 on 5 goals in the past 6 games and two of those goals were off of solo efforts by Fly.

I worry about some of our scoring in the playoffs when the refs put away their whistles. We need more from that group in es situations.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
@Dale53130 spent way more time than I'd be willing to in order to show that managing Ehlers minutes correlates with better performance

That should end the discussion unless anyone can refute it with something better than "well, yeah but the Jets must have been winning those games"...

If that's your take, go back and look at the game logs like he did and prove it

I gave Dale kudos for his post as well. And it is more nuanced than that.

It doesn't end discussion about the situation at all, it's a great point to take into consideration when building an optimal lineup.

Let Connor Scheif and Vilardi cook on the PP.

Let Ehlers Scheifele cook 5 on 5.

Balance the minutes out for all the lines.

The team has been so much better for it in the past, and likely will be in the future if we do this.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I agree on Monahan. We are starting to see a bit of his limitations 5 on 5. He doesn't generate much offense on his own. What he's very good at is playing that bumper spot on the PP. His line has three 5 on 5 goals in the past 6 games and two of those goals were off of solo efforts by Fly.

I worry about some of our scoring in the playoffs when the refs put away their whistles. We need more from that group in es situations.
I don't know i have really liked what I've seen from Monahan so far, he's not getting many assists but he's definitely putting the puck in the net. 6 goals and 1 assist for 7 points in only 10 games with us is pretty good. Someone has to put the puck in the net and he's doing exactly that .

Reactions: GNP

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I don't know i have really liked what I've seen from Monahan so far, he's not getting many assists but he's definitely putting the puck in the net. 6 goals and 1 assist for 7 points in only 10 games with us is pretty good. Someone has to put the puck in the net and he's doing exactly that .
*8 goals and 1 assist in 12 games.

Reactions: Jets 31 and GNP

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
My point was that since you were so anti-Maurice even in seasons under him where the Jets had a good record you of all people would understand why a coach might be leaving stuff on the table even if the win/loss record is good.

Personally, I am finding Bones more and more Maurice like- I hear some of the same bs (saying he hasn't put together 27-55-13 as he doesn't want 91 to play on the RW only to actually move 91 to RW a week later). He's a bit more honest than Paul about team's play but he has been very Maurice-like in talking about the situation with the top line.
Your continued posts about Maurice makes one believe that you have some sort of obsession about him. You know he quit on our team and fans mid season, a while ago now. Maybe you should go to the Panthers pages to pump your admiration for the quitter over there.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
People should go and read the Buffalo GDT , some of their fans were very complimentary about our Jets. The Jets are legit, the Jets are for real , just a couple of posts by their fans. We have a very good team here boys and girls.:nod:
I love the positivity in your posts @Jets 31. They are realistic, and refreshing to read. Even if the Jets won the Cup, there would be people complaining about something. Enjoy the ride here.:nod:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
But how much better of a record could we have right now if Bowness was making what you think are better lines? I don't think we are doing any better if we set up lines differently. Now if we were really fighting for a playoff spot or worse i could totally get behind Bowness isn't doing a good job and we may need a change but how can we complain about anything right now? Again if we were only winning on the back of our goalies i could also see some complaining but right now it just sounds like Bowness isn't playing Ehlers or Perfetti the way i like so Bowness is a idiot and he needs to go .

All this talk is forward facing for the playoffs. The Jets since the ASB have won to some extent on the back of their goaltending. I don't think Bones is an idiot , he has done some remarkable things for this club but he has kind lost control when it comes to the top end of his roster.

You won't hear me complain much about Perfetti... due to the strength of Jets roster the difference between Perfetti on the 2nd or 4th line is marginal. But I (and many others) genuinely believe that the difference between Ehlers on the top line and on the 3rd line could very likely be the difference between a 1st round exit and a deep run.

Those 2 coaches just happen to currently be coaching the top 2 teams points % wise in the NHL. How good do you think those 2 teams really are if they are leaving stuff on the table with their current coaches? That's like really, really good.

I was not a Maurice hater... I was actually one of his few defenders left here by the end. Nor am I a Bones hater, pointing out something obvious that he is missing (which is not really an original thought as this is the main topic of discussion right now in the Jets media) isn't the same as saying he's a bad or useless coach.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Any smart coach would do that if he feels he's lost the team and has the financial freedom to walk. But this childish bit of "professional quitter" pretty much defines your ability to be reasoned with.

Yeah, as opposed to the guy who was here but is now coaching the overall number one team in the league.
I enjoy seeing your posts about hockey related things.

Actually, I can't think of any other NHL coach that quit during the regular season and on the day of a game. But I here to be educated.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
JMo 8g 43a = 51 points in 60 games and +23.
Dahlin 15g 31a = 46 points in 61 games and -9.

JMo 6.25m AAV.
Dahlin 11m AAV.
And remember there was time, a long time ago, that many on this board complained about JMo, his offence, his defending, his contract. His first 4 or 5 years in Winnipeg he was routinely ripped on.

Now he is a top 5 D in the league.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

Ehlers has two 5v5 playoff goals in his career, so that doesn’t bode well.

Reactions: Jets 31

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Actually, I can't think of any other NHL coach that quit during the regular season and on the day of a game. But I here to be educated.
He should have been axed way earlier

It was apparent to the players, the fans, and even to him himself. Staying was counter productive.

What, exactly, should PoMo have done? Continue to try to coach a team that had clearly tuned him out (or at least a decent portion of it?)

You're the #1 PoMo hater on here, and seem to he the only poster who hasn't let it go/gotten over it

Blame chevy (amd maybe chipman), not PoMo

Reactions: Inanna

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Don't get me wrong. He's bringing a lot of positives to the table. But most of those points are on the pp and on the en. What I'm trying to get at is his production is mirroring what it was for the Habs and that is heavily slated to special teams. Special team production is important but for a 2C 5 on 5 production is also important and as of now only 3 points come from that game state.

Ehlers has two 5v5 playoff goals in his career, so that doesn’t bode well.

Well Fly has been a major playoff disappointment. It's really put up or shut up for him this year.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
He should have been axed way earlier

It was apparent to the players, the fans, and even to him himself. Staying was counter productive.

What, exactly, should PoMo have done? Continue to try to coach a team that had clearly tuned him out (or at least a decent portion of it?)

You're the #1 PoMo hater on here, and seem to he the only poster who hasn't let it go/gotten over it

Blame chevy (amd maybe chipman), not PoMo
I did not bring Maurice into the discussion in this thread. I was compelled to respond to a nonsensical post about me that included him. Record set straight. Good night.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

That season was lost, fans were calling for him to be fired for years, he felt like he wasn't getting through to his players. I don't have any issue with Maurice leaving when he did. He's now coaching a team that's built to play the style that he demands from his players and that's great for him, the Jets weren't built for that game and he wouldn't adjust.

Reactions: hn777

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
That season was lost, fans were calling for him to be fired for years, he felt like he wasn't getting through to his players. I don't have any issue with Maurice leaving when he did. He's now coaching a team that's built to play the style that he demands from his players and that's great for him, the Jets weren't built for that game and he wouldn't adjust.
Cool. I can tell by the way you describe his departure that you are an empathetic person. That is a good quality to have.

Me, I was raised that you do not quit on your team. People that quit on you do not deserve your respect. (Before the usual culprits blow up, of course there are exceptions like health, family, etc)

I am chearing for Maurice and the Panthers to go all the way. That is the funny thing for me here, reading some of the comments about me hating while I am actually chearing them on. Now, if they meet the Jets in the final, then the Panthers can eat shit.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
@Dale53130 spent way more time than I'd be willing to in order to show that managing Ehlers minutes correlates with better performance

That should end the discussion unless anyone can refute it with something better than "well, yeah but the Jets must have been winning those games"...

If that's your take, go back and look at the game logs like he did and prove it
Thank you!

Here's Ehlers in all of his career games, where he's played 17 minutes and up, including the playoffs.

Ehlers 17 2015-16.png

Ehlers 17 2016-17 #1.png

Ehlers 17 2017-18.png

Ehlers 17 2018-19.png

Ehlers 17 2019-20.png

Ehlers 17 2020-21.png

Ehlers 7 2021-22.png

Ehlers 7 2022-23.png

Ehlers 7 2023-24.png

Ehlers 17 Playoffs.png

2015-16
  • 5 goals, 12 assists in 26 games
  • 75 shots
  • 19 losses, 7 wins
2016-17
  • 11 goals, 23 assists in 48 games
  • 140 shots
  • 30 losses, 18 wins
2017-18
  • 6 goals, 8 assists in 25 games
  • 82 shots
  • 15 losses, 10 wins
2018-19
  • 9 goals, 4 assists in 18 games
  • +5
  • 47 shots
  • 7 losses, 11 wins
2019-20
  • 11 goals, 16 assists in 30 games
  • +5
  • 99 shots
  • 17 losses, 13 wins
2020-21
  • 8 goals, 11 assists in 25 games
  • +3
  • 78 shots
  • 13 losses, 12 wins
2021-22
  • 19 goals, 16 assists in 43 games
  • +8
  • 176 shots
  • 25 losses, 18 wins
2022-23
  • 3 goals, 4 assists in 13 games
  • 40 shots
  • 10 losses, 3 wins
2023-24
  • 2 goals, 7 assists in 16 games
  • +1
  • 58 shots
  • 9 losses, 7 wins
Totals:
  • 74 goals, 101 assists in 244 games
  • 795 shots, 9.3 shooting percentage
  • 145 losses vs 99 wins
Totals including playoffs:
  • 75 goals, 102 assists in 256 games
  • 828 shots, 9.1 shooting percentage
  • 154 losses vs 102 wins
And the Jets over his period with the Jets have a record of 365 wins vs 256 losses.

Winnipeg Jets 2015-2024 record.png

I'm thinking about this in relation to the data obtained (above).

Ehlers Rate Metrics.png

Attachments

• Ehlers 17 2017-18.png
    Ehlers 17 2017-18.png
    104.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Winnipeg Jets 2015-2024 record.png
    Winnipeg Jets 2015-2024 record.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Don't get me wrong. He's bringing a lot of positives to the table. But most of those points are on the pp and on the en. What I'm trying to get at is his production is mirroring what it was for the Habs and that is heavily slated to special teams. Special team production is important but for a 2C 5 on 5 production is also important and as of now only 3 points come from that game state.
I feel that Bowness has, for some inexplicable reason, simply not made a sufficient effort to build a successful line around Monahan. Namestnikov as one of his wingers seems to hold a lot of promise, with signs of real possible chemistry, but Bowness is not focussed on building on that by trying some different wingers with that pairing - taking us back again to the issue of where to most optimally play Ehlers and Connor. Of course, it is easy to visualize how a line might best perform based on paper analysis but it is absolutely necessary to observe performance in a suitable period of real-game competition. It would be so nice to see some planned experimentation instead of this habit of resorting to the old blender at brief situational times during games.

Reactions: hn777 and surixon

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Thank you!

Here's Ehlers in all of his career games, where he's played 17 minutes and up, including the playoffs.

View attachment 829502

View attachment 829504

View attachment 829510

View attachment 829512

View attachment 829514

View attachment 829515

View attachment 829516

View attachment 829518

View attachment 829519
View attachment 829520

2015-16
  • 5 goals, 12 assists in 26 games
  • 75 shots
  • 19 losses, 7 wins
2016-17
  • 11 goals, 23 assists in 48 games
  • 140 shots
  • 30 losses, 18 wins
2017-18
  • 6 goals, 8 assists in 25 games
  • 82 shots
  • 15 losses, 10 wins
2018-19
  • 9 goals, 4 assists in 18 games
  • +5
  • 47 shots
  • 7 losses, 11 wins
2019-20
  • 11 goals, 16 assists in 30 games
  • +5
  • 99 shots
  • 17 losses, 13 wins
2020-21
  • 8 goals, 11 assists in 25 games
  • +3
  • 78 shots
  • 13 losses, 12 wins
2021-22
  • 19 goals, 16 assists in 43 games
  • +8
  • 176 shots
  • 25 losses, 18 wins
2022-23
  • 3 goals, 4 assists in 13 games
  • 40 shots
  • 10 losses, 3 wins
2023-24
  • 2 goals, 7 assists in 16 games
  • +1
  • 58 shots
  • 9 losses, 7 wins
Totals:
  • 74 goals, 101 assists in 244 games
  • 795 shots, 9.3 shooting percentage
  • 145 losses vs 99 wins
Totals including playoffs:
  • 75 goals, 102 assists in 256 games
  • 828 shots, 9.1 shooting percentage
  • 154 losses vs 102 wins
And the Jets over his period with the Jets have a record of 365 wins vs 256 losses.

View attachment 829550

I'm thinking about this in relation to the data obtained (above).

View attachment 829555

I feel like this is a bit of a weird point? Why would Ehlers (or anyone) play worse just because they play more minutes? You realize of course that in a game he plays 20 minutes he... also played 17 minutes up until that point, right?

The real issue with players playing too much is that it wears them out down the stretch, or if they play a ton in a game maybe they let up a bad goal late game.

But the things you're showing here with wins and losses and stuff seem more likely to be correlated with something other than Ehlers' endurance levels.

Reactions: hn777

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I feel like this is a bit of a weird point? Why would Ehlers (or anyone) play worse just because they play more minutes? You realize of course that in a game he plays 20 minutes he... also played 17 minutes up until that point, right?

The real issue with players playing too much is that it wears them out down the stretch, or if they play a ton in a game maybe they let up a bad goal late game.

But the things you're showing here with wins and losses and stuff seem more likely to be correlated with something other than Ehlers' endurance levels.
Cognitive dissonance is strong with this one

More minutes = more fatigue

Higher in the line up = more minutes = playing against other teams better players

Both of those would produce worse results

Reactions: Jet and Dale53130
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: