Post-Game Talk: JUMP TO THE PUMP: Jets have gas in 5-2 win over Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyby

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2022
You do know Pavelski is 6'1" and 195 right?
Small guys half to be quick or tough to be good in the NHL. If you are slow and small you are going to take a beating in board battles or coming over the blueline that's a fact.

With his skates on and wet equipment, maybe.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
This Ehlers debate is getting out of hand ... you figure the Jets are on a losing streak and trying to hold on to a wild card spot.
I like Ehlers don't get me wrong but you do know Ehlers only has scored in one game in his last 16 games right.
Ehlers is electric and fun to watch but he is a wild card very hard to play with and in a close game where one turnover can cost you the game I can see where the coaches are coming from.
Remember Dallas game 3 mistakes 3 goals ... game basically over.
As long as the Jets are winning why worry about a player on where he is playing.

Flyby

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2022
You do know Pavelski is 6'1" and 195 right?
Small guys half to be quick or tough to be good in the NHL. If you are slow and small you are going to take a beating in board battles or coming over the blueline that's a fact.

The stats I see have him listed at 5’11” and 205 lbs. And he surely wasn’t 205 lbs when he was 22 like Cole. I stand by my comparison. Both are regarded as slowish. Both succeed by their wits

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Scoring isn't everything.

Id be all for giving Barron a shot in the top 6, I've always liked his game. Iafallo is not an offensive player, really. He is producing lower than expected this year though.

I do think he provides a stabilizing effect to the top 6 when he's there, we seem to get hemmed less. Probably because he does the digging and makes smart plays to get the puck out.

I don't think Barron does that as well which is why he's not the choice. Also, he's the driver of the 4th line so if you take him off there they are a lot less effective.

For me, 68 or 7 are the guys who should be in the top 6 when needed. They have the skill and smarts to hang.

I really don't know how I feel about picking up another top 6 forward. Do we need it? Is it with the cost?

I'd rather try and find a RHD .

Jagr is coming here?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Maurice - that name rings a bell. I think that is the professional quitter who quit our team on a game day in the middle of the season. Seriously, who does that? May have happened in the NHL before but not the I can remember. That guy? If I did criticize him, I was obviously right.

Not that I can recall ever saying that an NHL coach makes decisions for no reason at all. If I did, I must have been 2/3 of the way through a bottle of Hendricks.

Frankly, I find Bones to be very transparent about why he does certain things, roster moves, utilization, etc. Look at how open he is discussing the 'why' in these situations. Including talking about how difficult the decisions are sometimes and how it can be a challenge for players to have to deal with these decisions. But that is part of being a professional hockey player.

Anyway, on to the next game. Thank goodness we finally have a coach that knows what he is doing and why.

My point was that since you were so anti-Maurice even in seasons under him where the Jets had a good record you of all people would understand why a coach might be leaving stuff on the table even if the win/loss record is good.

Personally, I am finding Bones more and more Maurice like- I hear some of the same bs (saying he hasn't put together 27-55-13 as he doesn't want 91 to play on the RW only to actually move 91 to RW a week later). He's a bit more honest than Paul about team's play but he has been very Maurice-like in talking about the situation with the top line.

i don't think it's 4-5 mins more. ehlers pre KC injury was just shy of 13 mins 5v5, and then post KC injury he was around there too. KC for the year is around 15.5 mins.

anyway ehlers stikes me as a team guy. however hard to argue how the team has performed w/ him on the top line. even when the 2nd line was perfetti-namestnikov-iafallo that 2nd line still performed admirably.

Maybe the 4-5 mins more wasn't exactly right, it's hard to check as the averages are now polluted by Ehlers time on the top line but still anecdotally that Monahan (and in it's previous incarnation the Names line) seems to be deployed as a 3rd line like 70% of the games.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
My point was that since you were so anti-Maurice even in seasons under him where the Jets had a good record you of all people would understand why a coach might be leaving stuff on the table even if the win/loss record is good.

Personally, I am finding Bones more and more Maurice like- I hear some of the same bs (saying he hasn't put together 27-55-13 as he doesn't want 91 to play on the RW only to actually move 91 to RW a week later). He's a bit more honest than Paul about team's play but he has been very Maurice-like in talking about the situation with the top line.

Maybe the 4-5 mins more wasn't exactly right, it's hard to check as the averages are now polluted by Ehlers time on the top line but still anecdotally that Monahan (and in it's previous incarnation the Names line) seems to be deployed as a 3rd line like 70% of the games.
But how much better of a record could we have right now if Bowness was making what you think are better lines? I don't think we are doing any better if we set up lines differently. Now if we were really fighting for a playoff spot or worse i could totally get behind Bowness isn't doing a good job and we may need a change but how can we complain about anything right now? Again if we were only winning on the back of our goalies i could also see some complaining but right now it just sounds like Bowness isn't playing Ehlers or Perfetti the way i like so Bowness is a idiot and he needs to go .

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Kucherov as well. Not saying he'll be a Kucherov but smaller players can and do make a difference.

He's already a 40 point player with middling usage. In another couple of years when he's stronger and quicker with better usage he'll likely be a 65 to 80 point player with good play driving and above average defense.
and he is 5'11" 185...not 5'8" but I assume that poster knows that but can't pass up a chance to take a shot at young kid who is a huge part of this team and its future. Who was brilliant the first half of the year and then had a horrific stretch where he didn't play great, had a bad wrist, and got zero puck luck. That poster is a nasty person who doesn't bring much to these boards except mean hearted rhetoric to the team and most of it's players.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
and he is 5'11" 185...not 5'8" but I assume that poster knows that but can't pass up a chance to take a shot at young kid who is a huge part of this team and its future. Who was brilliant the first half of the year and then had a horrific stretch where he didn't play great, had a bad wrist, and got zero puck luck. That poster is a nasty person who doesn't bring much to these boards except mean hearted rhetoric to the team and most of it's players.
That's just how @sipowicz tries to motivate our Jets players, hard love.:laugh:

Reactions: GNP

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Dog shit is dog shit I don’t care what excuses and red herrings you want to give. Perfetti has been useless.
i don't disagree just stop using mean words :(

1709590961910.png

(im not being serious)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Those 2 coaches just happen to currently be coaching the top 2 teams points % wise in the NHL. How good do you think those 2 teams really are if they are leaving stuff on the table with their current coaches? That's like really, really good.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
@Dale53130 spent way more time than I'd be willing to in order to show that managing Ehlers minutes correlates with better performance

That should end the discussion unless anyone can refute it with something better than "well, yeah but the Jets must have been winning those games"...

If that's your take, go back and look at the game logs like he did and prove it

Reactions: Dale53130

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Maurice - that name rings a bell. I think that is the professional quitter who quit our team on a game day in the middle of the season. Seriously, who does that?
Any smart coach would do that if he feels he's lost the team and has the financial freedom to walk. But this childish bit of "professional quitter" pretty much defines your ability to be reasoned with.
Anyway, on to the next game. Thank goodness we finally have a coach that knows what he is doing and why.
Yeah, as opposed to the guy who was here but is now coaching the overall number one team in the league.

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
39-16-5 and Bowness doesn't know what He's doing and is going to chase players out of Winnipeg, Jesus Christ some people are never happy. Even if the Jets win the Cup some won't like the way we won it. We aren't just hoping Helly or Brossoit stand on their heads to get wins either. Enjoy the great season we are having right now people because It's very hard to do . Go Jets Go.
Given the Jets record, those Bones complainers and knit pickers are not Jets fans.....,either that, or just plain run of the mill idiots that litter many boards.

Reactions: Inanna

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
You don't need to abandon a balanced lineup in order to put Ehlers on the top line, where both he and the linemates are most effective.

You also don't need to put Ehlers on the 2nd line if you want him to play LW.

You do need to abandon the idea that Connor and Scheifele need to be joined at the hip. Unless you are saying that Connor is not good enough for the 2nd line.

Ehlers - Scheifele - Vilardi (when healthy)
Connor - Monahan - Niederreiter (Perfetti)
Barron - Lowry - Namestnikov
Perfetti/Gus - Kupari/Gus - Appleton
55/81 are not by idea to abandon - I'd assume that stems from what both these players want and to an extent, what the coach wants.
My post was purely about the fact that all top notch players on a team cannot play on the first line - you can shuffle the chairs if you want but you still end up with players that are top line skill level (and money level) that are not on the top line - and how to these players feel about that, along with their agents and so on.
I really don't care how it all sorts out tbh -

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yup, the only exception this team has ever made was for Buff. He was pretty much allowed to rove and do what he wanted.

Even then there were some restrictions. PoMo refused to put him back on D until he agreed to play better D. (I don't know the specifics of what that meant)

Reactions: surixon

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
55/81 are not by idea to abandon - I'd assume that stems from what both these players want and to an extent, what the coach wants.
My post was purely about the fact that all top notch players on a team cannot play on the first line - you can shuffle the chairs if you want but you still end up with players that are top line skill level (and money level) that are not on the top line - and how to these players feel about that, along with their agents and so on.
Agreed, at this point in the season, a coach can't worry about if a player or his agent will be happy with usage. I'm also in the minority that likes a coach bringing out the blender with some regularity. These guys can all play with each other, and feeling a little uncomfortable and playing in difficult circumstances often brings out the best in professional athletes. The vast majority of the times I see a line shake up, I'm happy even if I might have done a different one.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The bolded is dependent on having more than 3 top line players on a team - but yes, it probably happens frequently on strong teams.

If Jets could put together a 2nd line that would be effective with Ehlers there it would be OK. More so if they also balanced out the TOI a little.

I'm still not sold on Monahan at 2C. His FO ability is appreciated but he still has just 1 assist. That suggests to me that he is not using his wingers very well, though it may be that his wingers have been the problem.

Prior to getting Money, I was hoping that KC would be put with Names and Perfetti when he came back. ESV was really working well and I thought (still do) that Names and Perf needed a finisher. It also might work with Monahan at 2C but it is a little less obvious to me.

Right now, with Vilardi injured again CSE worked very well for a short time. Make up a 2nd line of Nino - Money - Perfetti. Take advantage of Perfetti's playmaking. 3rd line of Barron - Lowry - Namestnikov. Or swap Names and Perf. 4th line of the other guys. BLN can still check and they might even score a bit more.

I don't care how it sorts out either, as long as it sorts out. Continually dumping on Ehlers is not being sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino