"Jultz" Love It or Hate it!

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
Absolutely sign him. He's by far the best offensive dman on this team. Our defence as a whole is absolute ****. We need him. He may not be worth what he's going to get but, that's the ****ing way she goes boys.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The offense he provides is mediocre at best given the zone starts and situations he is put in. The rest of his game is AHL level and that is being generous. On a half decent team this guy is a #6 and paid like it.

He is 32nd in points by defensemen since he entered the league and 37th in ppg. This despite playing on one of the lowest scoring teams in the league over that same period. He's not elite but your definition of mediocre sees to differ from mine.

Pablo Aimar

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
He is 32nd in points by defensemen since he entered the league and 37th in ppg. This despite playing on one of the lowest scoring teams in the league over that same period. He's not elite but your definition of mediocre sees to differ from mine.

Last I checked he was 50th in points for defensemen this year. With the zone starts, pp time, and line mates he gets that is nothing special at all - the definition of mediocre. The rest of his game is total garbage.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Schultz is a horrible defenseman, but the Oilers aren't in a position to do as they please in terms of RD. He will get an overpayment and show us why he chose Edmonton (his agent is a genius).

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Concur................???

Schultz is a horrible defenseman, but the Oilers aren't in a position to do as they please in terms of RD. He will get an overpayment and show us why he chose Edmonton (his agent is a genius).

I have to agree with the negatives on Schultz............does not generate enough offence to make up for his defensive lapses..........way too soft on wingers coming in on his side..........does not hit, does not rub the guy out against the boards......
basically just stick checks..........way too easy to play against.

Trade him.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Last I checked he was 50th in points for defensemen this year. With the zone starts, pp time, and line mates he gets that is nothing special at all - the definition of mediocre. The rest of his game is total garbage.

Under Eakins the whole Oiler defense was anemic. By Dec 12, just before Eakins got fired, the entire Oiler defense had 32 points combined. Since Eakins was fired Schultz is on a pace that would be about 40 points over a season. That would typically put him somewhere between 20-25th in scoring for a defenseman. In his rookie year he was 12th. Last year he was 39th despite missing 8 games. So realistically he is probably in the top 30 point producers on defense in the NHL.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Under Eakins the whole Oiler defense was anemic. By Dec 12, just before Eakins got fired, the entire Oiler defense had 32 points combined. Since Eakins was fired Schultz is on a pace that would be about 40 points over a season. That would typically put him somewhere between 20-25th in scoring for a defenseman. In his rookie year he was 12th. Last year he was 39th despite missing 8 games. So realistically he is probably in the top 30 point producers on defense in the NHL.

Totally agree.

For example, RNH:

From October 9th to December 14th? 7g - 12a - 19pts in 20 games.
Since December 16th? 12g - 16a - 28pts in 38 games.

Hopkins alone went from 20g and 54 points projected, to 26g and 60 points projected.

Funny, most players seem to be playing better under the new coach.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Totally agree.

For example, RNH:

From October 9th to December 14th? 7g - 12a - 19pts in 20 games.
Since December 16th? 12g - 16a - 28pts in 38 games.

Hopkins alone went from 20g and 54 points projected, to 26g and 60 points projected.

Funny, most players seem to be playing better under the new coach.
Those numbers appear to be off.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
The whole "doesn't hit" nonsense again. Does every player who plays at defenseman for the Oilers have to be a checker?

He's our best defenseman in the neutral and offensive zone since Visnovsky. The whole problem here isn't Schultz's weaknesses in the defensive zone - which has improved under Nelson, it's that MacT seems not to want to have any other decent NHL quality defensemen on the roster, other than Fayne.

I'm ok with working in the kids, but they need support and Schultz obviously needs support in the D-zone too.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
The whole "doesn't hit" nonsense again. Does every player who plays at defenseman for the Oilers have to be a checker?

He's our best defenseman in the neutral and offensive zone since Visnovsky. The whole problem here isn't Schultz's weaknesses in the defensive zone - which has improved under Nelson, it's that MacT seems not to want to have any other decent NHL quality defensemen on the roster, other than Fayne.

I'm ok with working in the kids, but they need support and Schultz obviously needs support in the D-zone too.

It's not that Schultz doesn't hit. It's that he's completely useless using his body to gain position in the defensive zone. So he never gets the puck to move it.

Quite honestly I think he just lacks the intensity. There's a difference between throwing a hit and winning a board battle.

Schultz seems to get his ass handed to him every time he's in a 1 on 1 battle with another player.

Speedshank

Apr 4, 2007
Edmonton
Originally posted by Lacaar:
It's not that Schultz doesn't hit. It's that he's completely useless using his body to gain position in the defensive zone. So he never gets the puck to move it.

Quite honestly I think he just lacks the intensity. There's a difference between throwing a hit and winning a board battle.

Schultz seems to get his ass handed to him every time he's in a 1 on 1 battle with another player.

Couldn't agree more! I could care less about the lack of physical contact, it's the constant puck watching and poor battling that makes Jultz a weak defensive player.

It's frustrating to watch how inactive his stick is. Especially when battling, which allows opposing players to create passing and shooting lanes. This is basic D 101! Either he's never been taught this or lacks the intensity! I think it's the latter!

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
A 30ish point defenseman who is terrible in his own end. He's not worth the money. It's not like you ever watch the PP and say "Get it to Schultz!"

Also I'd like it if the guy could bench press more than a bag of cabbage.

I think you qualify him and that's it. He doesn't deserve a long term deal so whatever the ideal term is, say two years, just do it. I'm guessing that's a one year deal but I miss capgeek so I'm not sure when his UFA years start.

Ideally he gets mixed onto an improved blue line for us and can become more effective playing to his strengths. He really gets exposed by playing way too high right now.

Last edited:

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
Beautiful pass to Eberle on the PP last night. He has a place on the team, as previously stated...just not as a top pairing D. (or even mid pairing). I think a future Marincin/Schultz bottom pairing would work as long as we had a couple heavy minute eaters on the top pair. Klefbom/Fayne would be a solid mid pairing for years.

Then throw Ference and Nikitin to the wolves next season on the top pair while Nurse safely develops into a monster in Bakersfield the entire season.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I have to agree with the negatives on Schultz............does not generate enough offence to make up for his defensive lapses..........way too soft on wingers coming in on his side..........does not hit, does not rub the guy out against the boards......
basically just stick checks..........way too easy to play against.

Trade him.

I am not sure if trading him is the best option just yet.

For me the root of most of his issues involves his intensity. He is just too casual most of the time especially on defense.

That may well be his default for dealing with pressure. Under Eakins it was as bad as it could possibly get. I think this may be a learned behavior that can be unlearned.
Thats what i would be looking at if I was a coach on this team.

If he played with more intensity I think it solves a lot of issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad