"Jultz" Love It or Hate it!

Speedshank

Apr 4, 2007
Edmonton
Justin Schultz, do you keep him or get rid of him? Schultz is a soon to be RFA and will probably garner between $4-5 Million depending on the length of the contract.

Assuming he has little to no trade value:

Yes to signing Justin?

No and say good riddance Schultz?

*Of course we already know what MacT will do :sarcasm:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
obviously getting signed, because of MacT's blindness in him winning a norris. That being said, I hope to dear god he doesn't get a longterm.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
No way I give Schultz over $4 million. I'd probably offer him $5 million over 2 years ($2.5 million per).

I want to keep him around though. He'd look a lot better if we could push him down the depth chart a little bit.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
You don't just give away players for nothing. Shultz isn't a good player right now, but that doesn't mean he won't be in 5 years.

No way he should get 4 - 5 million either. Defensively weak offensive defensemen who don't put up numbers(regardless of how negative Eakin's influence was) should not(and probably won't) get a huge contract, but the idiotic comments by Mactavish probably will come back to bite them in the a** when it comes time to negotiate.

Speedshank

Apr 4, 2007
Edmonton
Schultz is a RFA, to simply retain his rights, the Oilers have to offer him just under $4.5 Million. He's not going to take less money!

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Schultz is a RFA, to simply retain his rights, the Oilers have to offer him just under $4.5 Million. He's not going to take less money!

might as well create a highlight montage of his defensive breakdowns if he chooses to go to arbitration. No way in hell would I pay him 4m a season. Especially when we have ference and nikitin's garbage contracts

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

He's on an entry deal of 3.675 mill(with bonuses), 10% qualifying bump doesn't take you up to 4.5 million.

Might even only require his base salary, but I don't know enough about the CBA to confirm that statement(and I'm lazy). Someone more knowledgeable on the CBA can probably clarify that point though.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If they can find another offensive RHD then they should trade his RFA rights. No point in trading him if we have no one to take his spot plus maybe he will improve with a full season under a competent coach.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I said yes because he is the best defenseman on the team and we are already depleted as it is

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I think the Oilers will give Schultz a 2 year bridge deal at 4-4.5 million per year. I would be more than happy if that happened as long as Nikitin is turfed

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
At this point he's the only d-man that can provide any offense from the point. We need him. He and Klefbom I think would be great in a bottom pairing role. Unfortunately this organization seems intent on overplaying the two and just throwing them to the fire.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't really see much choice but to keep him for now. We're thin on RHD as is, losing him would make us anemic back there and I think people are naive if they think the likes of Mike Green will sign here.

Our image is terrible right now and even in the best of times Edmonton would have issues signing UFAs.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
The $3.675M QO is far too much to pay Schultz IMO. Although he has looked better under Nelson while paired with Klefbom, he's still not worth anywhere near that. They should take him to arbitration and argue for the lowest amount possible, which IIRC is something like $3.16M. Not much better, but still 500k to spend elsewheres.

Real_Estate-Agent

Sep 12, 2006
Edmonton
A simple question - probably the most important question.

If Justin Schultz was unsigned or a UFA today - what should the Oilers offer him?

Slightly higher than Brad Hunt would be my offer. Seriously.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Yes to signing him, but he'll be on a money hunt, in the same way that we acquired him.

If he stays in Edmonton it'll be for more than he is worth.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Don't really have a choice here. Especially with Petry gone. Just hope MacT doesn't give him the $6M long-term contract. It's MacT though so it wouldn't surprise me.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Don't really have a choice here. Especially with Petry gone. Just hope MacT doesn't give him the $6M long-term contract. It's MacT though so it wouldn't surprise me.

Yeesh, that's a scary though, and entirely possibly considering the management of this franchise has been operating under the premise that they are required to give players whatever they demand in salary negotiations.

I can already see the press conference now "Shultz wanted Erik Karlsson type money, so we had to give it to him".

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
might as well create a highlight montage of his defensive breakdowns if he chooses to go to arbitration. No way in hell would I pay him 4m a season. Especially when we have ference and nikitin's garbage contracts

That shouldnt be difficult. The Oilers are great at creating DVDs and sending them to people

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Yeesh, that's a scary though, and entirely possibly considering the management of this franchise has been operating under the premise that they are required to give players whatever they demand in salary negotiations.

I can already see the press conference now "Shultz wanted Erik Karlsson type money, so we had to give it to him".

Well Schultz has been annointed as part of the core so he's most obviously getting 6M

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
We've got no choice. We already need a right handed top 4 d-man. Take Schultz away and we need two.. how can we afford to let him go? I hope he only gets a 3 year deal.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don't even see how this is a question. Take a look at the FA defensemen out there and ask what you would get for the same money if you want to come close to replacing his offense. The Oilers defense is one of the worst in the league for generating offense and without Schultz it would be the worst.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Very high risk, medium reward Dman. But, he's the only guy we have with good offensive instincts and we badly need to keep any of our RHD now. I think he has 2 more years before UFA? A 3 year deal for say 4M would be reasonable (considering we have to qualify him for 3.7). If he wants a big payday though, another 1 year deal.

Either way, we just need to pray that he figures out the defensive side of the game. Good coaching should help a lot and he got none of that for 1.5 seasons of his ~2.5 season career.

Last edited:

Pablo Aimar

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I don't even see how this is a question. Take a look at the FA defensemen out there and ask what you would get for the same money if you want to come close to replacing his offense. The Oilers defense is one of the worst in the league for generating offense and without Schultz it would be the worst.

The offense he provides is mediocre at best given the zone starts and situations he is put in. The rest of his game is AHL level and that is being generous. On a half decent team this guy is a #6 and paid like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad