• Ryan Kesler

Votes: 79 67.5%
  • JT Miller

Votes: 38 32.5%

• Total voters

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Comparing Kesler & Miller is sorta like comparing Getzlaf & Toews imo.
I know it's not a perfect comparable but it's very close in terms of who you want overall.
This is somewhat reasonable, but I think a better comparable would probably be something like Ryan O' Reilly (peak 77 points, but more safely placed as a 60 point guy) vs. Ryan Getzlaf (peak 92 point pace, but more safely placed as a 70-80 point guy)

That Toews outlier Conn Smythe performance throws too much of a wrench into things, IMO.

Last edited:

Love

Feb 29, 2012
This is somewhat reasonable, but I think a better comparable would probably be something like Ryan O' Reilly (peak 77 points, but more safely placed as a 60 point guy) vs. Ryan Getzlaf (peak 92 point pace, but more safely placed as a 70-80 point guy)

That Toews outlier Conn Smythe performance throws too much of a wrench into things, IMO.
ROR also has a Smythe

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
ROR also has a Smythe
Sure, but Toews' Smythe involved completely lighting it up offensively, which kind of defeats the purpose of a Selke player vs. Offensive player comparison (Kesler doesn't really have that type of offensive ability, but I COULD imagine him having the type of Conn Smythe performance that O'Reilly did).

Also, just stylistically, Kesler is a lot more similar to O'Reilly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Love

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
He was the only top 6 player that showed up for the the first half of last season..and was the undisputed team ‘leader’..

A 99 point player..any other complaints?

Nitpicking at its finest .
C0421F03-4623-4B5C-99DC-3D9408CAE7BE.jpeg

Reactions: racerjoe

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Kesler's performances in 2011 against San Jose and Boston were underwhelming because the guy was playing on one leg!

Against Chicago, Kesler also took over the role over Manny Malhotra since Manny was out, and Kesler did an excellent job of containing and shutting down Toews.

With the exception of Pavel Bure, Kesler is probably my favourite Canucks playoff performer of all time. Special shout outs to Linden, Burrows, Gelinas, and Adams.

don’t forget geoff courtnall

curious why gelinas though. tbh i barely remember him from 94 and when he peaked later as a 30 goal scorer we never made the playoffs did we?

Reactions: Ruthervin

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
don’t forget geoff courtnall

curious why gelinas though. tbh i barely remember him from 94 and when he peaked later as a 30 goal scorer we never made the playoffs did we?
Yep you're right. I actually forgot about the fact that Gelinas' playoff heroics came against us in 2004! :madfire:

Glad you mentioned Geoff Courtnall. While we're on the subject of Ryan Kesler and 'playoff beast modes,' I think Alexander Mogilny might go down as the most underrated/overlooked Canuck of all-time. His 95-96 season was arguably the greatest Canuck season in Canucks history. Yes both Bure and the twins had seasons where they accumulated more points, but these 110/112 point seasons were accumulated outside of the Dead puck era (1995-2003). Mogilny got 107 points in 95/96, and was actually quite solid in our 1st round loss against the Avs that season.

While Pavel Bure arguably had the greatest half season + playoffs of all-time (1994), I think a very strong case can be made for Alex Mogilny's 95-96 season being the greatest Canuck season of all-time when you consider the fact that he got those points during the dead puck era. Pre-dead puck era, Mogilny had well over 120 points in one of the seasons. When Alex Mogilny wanted to, he was one of the greatest players to ever play the game. It's just too bad that in many of his seasons, he simply didn't show up or give a crap. At his absolute peak though, he was better than both Bure and Selanne imo. Quite possibly the most talented player that we've ever had.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Yep you're right. I actually forgot about the fact that Gelinas' playoff heroics came against us in 2004! :madfire:

Glad you mentioned Geoff Courtnall. While we're on the subject of Ryan Kesler and 'playoff beast modes,' I think Alexander Mogilny might go down as the most underrated/overlooked Canuck of all-time. His 95-96 season was arguably the greatest Canuck season in Canucks history. Yes both Bure and the twins had seasons where they accumulated more points, but these 110/112 point seasons were accumulated outside of the Dead puck era (1995-2003). Mogilny got 107 points in 95/96, and was actually quite solid in our 1st round loss against the Avs that season.

While Pavel Bure arguably had the greatest half season + playoffs of all-time (1994), I think a very strong case can be made for Alex Mogilny's 95-96 season being the greatest Canuck season of all-time when you consider the fact that he got those points during the dead puck era. Pre-dead puck era, Mogilny had well over 120 points in one of the seasons. When Alex Mogilny wanted to, he was one of the greatest players to ever play the game. It's just too bad that in many of his seasons, he simply didn't show up or give a crap. At his absolute peak though, he was better than both Bure and Selanne imo. Quite possibly the most talented player that we've ever had.
Paul Reinhart played SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO well for us, he managed to remove all stink of being a former Calgary Flame.;)

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Paul Reinhart played SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO well for us, he managed to remove all stink of being a former Calgary Flame.;)

benning was reinhart’s teammate on that 89 canucks team, later invested hard in ferland

you know it’s time for a second coffee when you start seeing the logic that exists inside benning’s brain

Reactions: Hit the post

Steamer

Jul 12, 2009
In the nosebleeds
I'd rather have the Fraser-Gradin-Smyl (at their peaks) in 2011 than Miller & Kesler.:sarcasm:
Different era but I get your point. Gradin was a better centre than either Miller or Kesler overall. Stan speaks for himself and if Curt hadn't become diabetic or had he had better medical/nutritional advisor he could have been solid for years. They remain the second best line in Canuck history for me. Maybe if Larinov, Bure and Adams had been together longer, but The West Coast Express don't rate with FGS for me because of what the latter did in the1982 playoffs when it counted.

Reactions: mossey3535

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
imo luongo before he had kids was the most dominant canuck ever, by far

that said, on the topic of this thread, even without the offence kesler was game-changing on the defensive end. and with burrows absolutely destructive on the PK.
Bure before his knee injury was the best. Hands down

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I really think its too close to argue.
Miller is a front line scorer while Kesler was an elite 2C match up guy.

Physically not much discernable difference.

Miller a superior playmaker Kesler a superior defensive player.

PKer Kesler was superior while on the PP the puck runs through Miller which Kesler would not have been very good at.

Wish Gillis took some ball sweat and actually acquired someone like Miller instead of Roy Baby and Weirdo Booth to round out that 2nd line after 2011 and moving Samuelsson. Oh well you get a contender lots so no big deal right...lol

Last season of Miller was superior to anything Kesler pulled off. Not trying to diminish Kes but he was set up in a perfect situation getting tap ins from the twins on the PP and being able to play to a stalemate and get wins with the incredible top line.
Sometimes wins create a bit of nostalgia so I just don't see the gap that some of you are relating to. That Predators series was incredible but so was Miller in the bubble year playoffs.

Too close for me

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

PKer Kesler was superior while on the PP the puck runs through Miller which Kesler would not have been very good at.

Wish Gillis took some ball sweat and actually acquired someone like Miller instead of Roy Baby and Weirdo Booth to round out that 2nd line after 2011 and moving Samuelsson. Oh well you get a contender lots so no big deal right...lol

Last season of Miller was superior to anything Kesler pulled off. Not trying to diminish Kes but he was set up in a perfect situation getting tap ins from the twins on the PP and being able to play to a stalemate and get wins with the incredible top line.
Sometimes wins create a bit of nostalgia so I just don't see the gap that some of you are relating to. That Predators series was incredible but so was Miller in the bubble year playoffs.

Too close for me
If Miller can replicate what he did this past season, I'll be forced to revalidate my opinion of him vs Kesler. Right now, at least two worthy Selke type years trumps that Bert like Allstar/elite season.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle

Too close for me
Easily the best post in this thread. Amazing what non-bias and nuts and bolts objectivity can look like on a computer screen. My faith in humanity has been restored. Well done.

FlowMaster

Jan 28, 2009
BC
It’s bizarre how a competitor and thinker of the game like Miller can be so poor defensively. If he was solid defensively there’d be no argument who’s better, and he’d have a contract by now.

My choice is Kesler. He was elite defensively and such a PITA to play against.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
If the rumour of Kesler sleeping with Schneider's wife is true, then I'll go with Miller.

Don't worry, it's not.

I'd also be remiss not to bring up that IMO Kesler's 2009-10 season was much more impressive than his 41-goal season. He played much harder assignments and did very well. He was a much better distributor as well. In the season referenced, he was quite a bit more, well, he didn't use his teammates as well as the previous year I thought. Offensively I like Miller more, overall I'll go with Kesler sneaking past him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad