Recalled/Assigned: JT Miller and Brandon Mashinter up; Ferriero down (2/18: Mashinter up with Powe out)

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
It had better be... the Rangers are supposed to be Cup contenders... not a team built to nurture CK.

I'd give Tortorella a little credit... He's brought half the current team up through the ranks...

Well said, man.

I'm more concerned with the ability of the Rangers to ice more than 1 line capable of scoring. It's been the Hagelin - Stepan - Nash show. Gaborik - Richards - Pyatt/Cally has shown some spurts but nothing near consistent enough. 3rd line is the key. Miller - Boyle - Pyatt has really shown nothing in terms of being able to generate scoring chances. Sure they grind, but beyond that there is nothing. I would either put Kreider next to Richards - Gabby and Cally to the third line or put Kreider - Miller - Cally back together and move Boyle up to the 2nd line LW. Either way put Gabby back at RW where he has played his whole career and is obviously more comfortable.

What does everyone think of a Boyle - Richards - Gaborik line?

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Boyle (Pyatt) - Miller - Callahan
Pyatt (Boyle) - Halpern - Asham

Mashinter in vs the goonies

But this we will not see...

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Boyle (Pyatt) - Miller - Callahan
Pyatt (Boyle) - Halpern - Asham

Mashinter in vs the goonies

But this we will not see...

I like that look, but it aint going to happen. Torts will continue to mismanage the lineup, and we will hopefully win games by the skin of our teeth.

Kershaw

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Miller-Boyle-Callahan
Pyatt-Richards-Gaborik
Mashinter-Halpern-Asham

Kreider

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Miller-Boyle-Callahan
Pyatt-Richards-Gaborik
Mashinter-Halpern-Asham

Kreider

This seems more likely. Essentially a black hole as a second line, and a third line getting protected minutes. Better hope our first line carries us.

Bardof425*

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Miller-Boyle-Callahan
Pyatt-Richards-Gaborik
Mashinter-Halpern-Asham

Kreider

Kreider should be playing. Get gabby on the right side. So,

Hags. Stepan. Nash
Kreider richards gaborik
Pyatt miller cally
Boyle halpern asham

Or Mash in Asham's spot. You can also switch pyatt and Kreider.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012

Hags. Stepan. Nash
Kreider richards gaborik
Pyatt miller cally
Boyle halpern asham

Again, makes too much sense. Why have potential to run away with a win when you can add the drama of barely winning or getting blown out?

As long as the team shows some "Jam" and can grind out wins, who cares how much offensive zone time we have? Blocking shots is way more important imo..

Ryan McDonut

Jan 18, 2009
New York

Hags. Stepan. Nash
Kreider richards gaborik
Pyatt miller cally
Boyle halpern asham

i'd like to see kreider-richards-callahan. richards hasn't been too great and kreider hasn't been that noticeable so i think a guy like cally who can do the dirty work would be better than gaborik on that line.

but is kreider even playing? if not then i think it should be cally-miller-gaborik. obviously keep the stepan line and it doesn't matter what the other 2 lines are because they probably won't do anything.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
i'd like to see kreider-richards-callahan. richards hasn't been too great and kreider hasn't been that noticeable so i think a guy like cally who can do the dirty work would be better than gaborik on that line.

but is kreider even playing? if not then i think it should be cally-miller-gaborik. obviously keep the stepan line and it doesn't matter what the other 2 lines are because they probably won't do anything.

No, I don't think Krieder is going to play. However, Torts could surprise me.

Bardof425*

You're right, he deserves 1st line minutes based on his play since being scratched.

He played well the first game back. I was at the game last night. He had one big hit and few other hits. Other than that he stunk; bad passes, ruined scoring chances, lazy icings, and no puck control. Relax with the 1st line talk.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
He played well the first game back. I was at the game last night. He had one big hit and few other hits. Other than that he stunk; bad passes, ruined scoring chances, lazy icings, and no puck control. Relax with the 1st line talk.

He brings Jam. Passing? Puck Control? Who needs that? As long as the Troglodytes are happy that Boyle can lay a big hit on player two seconds after the puck is leaving the Ozone....it matters not.

Course we could get the same thing from a guy in hartford for a fraction of the cost. But that 1.7 million is not that big of a deal.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
As long as the team shows some "Jam" and can grind out wins, who cares how much offensive zone time we have? Blocking shots is way more important imo..
Miller and Kreider have the worst puck possession stats on the team, outside of Bickel, despite them both having favorable zone starts. Boyle is middle of the pack even with his 30% offensive zone start%.

I know, those are statistics...

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Miller and Kreider have the worst puck possession stats on the team, outside of Bickel, despite them both having favorable zone starts. Boyle is middle of the pack even with his 30% offensive zone start%.

Both Krieder and Miller both have more points in about half as many games. They are also positive players, and Boyle is a -4.

Considering that Krieder/Miller, played a grand total of two games together. Not much to go on imo.

All I can say, in those two games the Rangers bottom six looked much faster, with much more consistent sustainable tempo.

Also, Boyle having offensive zone time consists of endlessly cycling down low where almost no scoring chances are created.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Both Krieder and Miller both have more points in about half as many games. They are also positive players, and Boyle is a -4.
They both have one more point. Two vs. One point isn't big enough for me to draw any significant conclusions. I haven't looked at +/- in ages, but it's obviously

Considering that Krieder/Miller, played a grand total of two games together. Not much to go on imo.
Agreed. But then you go on it anyways:

All I can say, in those two games the Rangers bottom six looked much faster, with much more consistent sustainable tempo.
I guess small sample is only useful if it supports the opinion you've already formed.

I get it. Miller and Kreider make you feel :). They have made me feel :shakehead so far this season.

Also, Boyle having offensive zone time consists of endlessly cycling down low where almost no scoring chances are created.
If that were the case, his Corsi would still be low.

Bardof425*

Not being sarcastic. Exactly how do they measure puck control? I would imagine it has nothing to do with what is done with the puck at the end of your control. If holding it along the boards for two seconds and then having it turned over is "better" according to this stat than having it for .3 seconds which leads to a pass that becomes a scoring chance, then I'm not sure what the value is. Educate me.

Bardof425*

They both have one more point. Two vs. One point isn't big enough for me to draw any significant conclusions. I haven't looked at +/- in ages, but it's obviously

Agreed. But then you go on it anyways:

I guess small sample is only useful if it supports the opinion you've already formed.

I get it. Miller and Kreider make you feel :). They have made me feel :shakehead so far this season.

If that were the case, his Corsi would still be low.

Do you watch any hockey or just read all the esoteric stats after the game to determine what happened during the 60 minute tilt?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad