Recalled/Assigned: JT Miller and Brandon Mashinter up; Ferriero down (2/18: Mashinter up with Powe out)

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I smell sarcasm. However I do appreciate you not using "cool story bro". There's nothing grinds my gears more than that. :laugh:
I know it would be nice if Miller could play like he did his first two games for the rest of the season. But that was unrealistic to begin with.

You're seemed to be implying that without Miller the Rangers go from a 4 line team to a 2 line team, which seems a little dramatic.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know it would be nice if Miller could play like he did his first two games for the rest of the season. But that was unrealistic to begin with.

You're seemed to be implying that without Miller the Rangers go from a 4 line team to a 2 line team, which seems a little dramatic.

No, thankfully due to getting rid of Rupp, it'll be a 3 line team. However, the 3 lines will be the 1st, 2nd, and 4th.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

BarbaraAlphanse

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN
#NYR Kreider is still up with the Rangers, along with Mashinter. If you missed earlier, Powe on IR with concussion

Powe confirmed with concussion.

I wonder if Torts wants to see Mashinter play. He has been great for the Whale.

BarbaraAlphanse

Powe on IR. Mashinter up.

Perhaps Kreider will not be playing, after all.

https://twitter.com/KatieStrangESPN/status/303550190378426369

Mashinter call up not on the AHL transactions page yet.

https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/status/303551029872586752

Also, would believe that Mashinter is just cautionary and not here to take Kreiders spot because the team could have just as easily called up Ferreiro who would have filled the Powe role more efficiently than Mashinter without the learning curve that it would require Mashinter to go through to play with the team for the first time, if it wasn't trying to miss a beat.

Kreider is playing. Mashinter will be the precautionary player.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
Please dont play CK on the 4th line.Either play him with some talent or send him back to Hartford.Give Mash the 4th line minutes please.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Please dont play CK on the 4th line.Either play him with some talent or send him back to Hartford.Give Mash the 4th line minutes please.

I agree with this post.
But Torts does not care about player development.
He said it many times, his number 1 priority is to win the games.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
Agree with those saying to not put Kreider on the 4th line. It's like putting Gaborik on the 4th line. I'd like to see Mashinter in and would maybe sit Asham against MTL. He's played with energy but shouldn't be playing every day anyway and could use a breather. Mashinter in to drop the gloves if needed and Cally back to the third line to spread out the offense.

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Miller - Boyle - Callahan
Pyatt - Halpern - Ash/Mash

Very balanced lineup. Much more so than what Torts is throwing out there.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Agree with those saying to not put Kreider on the 4th line. It's like putting Gaborik on the 4th line. I'd like to see Mashinter in and would maybe sit Asham against MTL. He's played with energy but shouldn't be playing every day anyway and could use a breather. Mashinter in to drop the gloves if needed and Cally back to the third line to spread out the offense.

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash

Diggin those lines :thumbu:

If Richie can further improve on his play from last night the 2nd line can be really great

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash

I think Torts will keep the top 6 the same, with Gabby as 2LW and Cally as 2RW.
Miller should move to 3RW and Kreider as 3LW

Kreider is gonna have to learn to play away from the puck to gain Tort's trust, a couple of early hits would go a long way toward establishing himself on that 3rd line.

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
Hagelin - Stepan - Nash

I like the lineup. Too bad Torts has his love fest with Brian Boyle/JT Miller going.

Don't take that as I hate those two players. What I hate is how much leeway they have been getting when someone like Chris Kreider has such a short leash. I don't think Kreider has been great, but he surely hasn't been awful in his seven games play (which is less than Stu Bickel by the way). I think he's looked better than JT Miller, who has now come back down to Earth.

Just frustrating knowing how much Kreider can contribute offensively and seeing him either scratched or assigned to the Whale. Also frustrating seeing JT Miller struggle and knowing Rangers are stuck with him for the rest of the year. Also frustrating seeing Boyle play 15 minutes a night.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
if Mashinter is doing well in CT and deserves a shot then he needs to play not watch...........also it will make him want to stay as a UFA on a two way deal next yr if he sees he has a future.........big dude, I think he can help

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Miller's position flexibility is the only thing that justifies him staying in the lineup imo. He hasn't done anything to wow me since the game against the Isles

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
To fill some of the void left by Powe's absence, the Rangers recalled the 6-foot-4, 230-pound Mashinter from the Whale, where he scored a goal last night helping Connecticut win its fifth straight game. Since being acquired from the San Jose Sharks organization, the 24 year-old Mashinter has played extremely well with the Whale, scoring five goals, totaling 11 points, and accumulating 23 penalty minutes in 14 games this season.

"We just finished three games in three nights this weekend when I got the call about 9:00 last night," explained Mashinter. "I am a little tired today, to say the least, but I am here ready to do whatever they ask me to do."

Tortorella said after practice that he "has been interested to look at Mashinter...he's an interesting one to me", but the coach would not commit to a definite lineup for Tuesday's home game against the Montreal Canadiens.

http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/2521/powe-placed-on-ir-mashinter-recalled#.USKA2h3ktDR

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I agree with this post.
But Torts does not care about player development.
He said it many times, his number 1 priority is to win the games.

It had better be... the Rangers are supposed to be Cup contenders... not a team built to nurture CK.

I'd give Tortorella a little credit... He's brought half the current team up through the ranks...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad