Recalled/Assigned: JT Miller and Brandon Mashinter up; Ferriero down (2/18: Mashinter up with Powe out)

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Not being sarcastic. Exactly how do they measure puck control? I would imagine it has nothing to do with what is done with the puck at the end of your control. If holding it along the boards for two seconds and then having it turned over is "better" according to this stat than having it for .3 seconds which leads to a pass that becomes a scoring chance, then I'm not sure what the value is. Educate me.
It's based on the number of shots directed towards goal.

Do you watch any hockey or just read all the esoteric stats after the game to determine what happened during the 60 minute tilt?
Yes I do. Your concern is noted though.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So now Mashinter is going to play? I certainly hope Kreider gets the nod. Either play him or keep him in the minors. Pick one and stick with it.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I really like the thought that instead of watching the Rangers, you scan hockey statistics all day

Advanced statistics are very helpful in aiding your view of the game. When watching a game, you can't keep track of the play while constantly being aware of every player on the ice and their current level of contribution. You still need eyes on the game to make an accurate assessment, but if what you see is reflected in the stats, it is likely correct.

I've watched every game except the premiere against Boston and the SOL against the Islanders, and my eyes told me that Kreider and Miller have been invisible and unable to create any semblance of offensive pressure apart from 1 or 2 games. Recently I looked into their adv. stats and this picture was validated.

Kreider has played extremely easy minutes, yet the Rangers have only produced 13.4 shots per 60 minutes with him on the ice. Miller is better at 20.8 against harder, but still easy competition. Compare this to Hagelin who has a SF/60 of 34.4 playing against the opposition's best.

It's actually quite amazing that they have been able to score points at all, but they are both riding unsustainable on ice shooting percentages (26.32 for Kreider, 15.38 for Miller, anything above 10 is unsustainable for anything but 1st lines), so that will likely stop unless they raise their level of play significantly.

Compare this to let's say whipping boy Brian Boyle who has created more offence (24.5 SF/60) playing much tougher minutes, but has less points due to an unsustainably low on ice sh% of 3.77.

I'm high on both players as prospects, but neither is NHL ready at this point IMO.

I honestly don't know why they didn't even hesitate to burn a year on Miller's ELC, they could've scratched him for a few games just to see if they managed without him after his 5th game.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I honestly don't know why they didn't even hesitate to burn a year on Miller's ELC, they could've scratched him for a few games just to see if they managed without him after his 5th game.

Given the lack of depth in the organization, they probably recognized that there is a high probability they would eventually recall him later on this season for another game. Given that, and if you're going to burn an entire year, might as well get as many games out of him as possible.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Given the lack of depth in the organization, they probably recognized that there is a high probability they would eventually recall him later on this season for another game. Given that, and if you're going to burn an entire year, might as well get as many games out of him as possible.

I really think Torts likes the way he plays. He knows how to keep the game simple and he is already dominating along the boards. I just hope the low minutes still allow him to develop his offensive game.

Bardof425*

Advanced statistics are very helpful in aiding your view of the game. When watching a game, you can't keep track of the play while constantly being aware of every player on the ice and their current level of contribution. You still need eyes on the game to make an accurate assessment, but if what you see is reflected in the stats, it is likely correct.

I've watched every game except the premiere against Boston and the SOL against the Islanders, and my eyes told me that Kreider and Miller have been invisible and unable to create any semblance of offensive pressure apart from 1 or 2 games. Recently I looked into their adv. stats and this picture was validated.

Kreider has played extremely easy minutes, yet the Rangers have only produced 13.4 shots per 60 minutes with him on the ice. Miller is better at 20.8 against harder, but still easy competition. Compare this to Hagelin who has a SF/60 of 34.4 playing against the opposition's best.

It's actually quite amazing that they have been able to score points at all, but they are both riding unsustainable on ice shooting percentages (26.32 for Kreider, 15.38 for Miller, anything above 10 is unsustainable for anything but 1st lines), so that will likely stop unless they raise their level of play significantly.

Compare this to let's say whipping boy Brian Boyle who has created more offence (24.5 SF/60) playing much tougher minutes, but has less points due to an unsustainably low on ice sh% of 3.77.

I'm high on both players as prospects, but neither is NHL ready at this point IMO.

So, it's measured by shots directed at the net, not scoring chances. I can see that. Boyle throws alot of pucks in the direction of the net that have no chance of ever going in. This helps this stat and hurts his shooting percentage. At the end of the day, who cares? He is an offensive black hole and there's not a stat in the world that will convince me otherwise. The only thing that can change my opinion is his play. If he improved offensively, he improves offensively.

Punxrocknyc19*

Rangers i think won that Mashinter trade even if he doesnt play much.... if Grant plays in the NHL, that team must have alot of injuries and not much depth. Grant isnt that good. i was glad he was traded.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Mashinter looked petty good tonight. Definitely not out of place.

I agree. Upgrade over what we saw from Rupp

Powe, Mashinter, Ferriero, Palmieri >>> Rupp, Grant, Kolarik & a conditional pick IMO

And saves some cap.

Pretty sure Mashinter can hold his own against the nasty Heavyweights than Rupp can nowadays as well. He skates beeter too. Well played Glen (hate to say it but these 3 trades were small but good IMO)

Punxrocknyc19*

Powe, Mashinter, Ferriero, Palmieri >>> Rupp, Grant, Kolarik & a conditional pick IMO

And saves some cap.

Pretty sure Mashinter can hold his own against the nasty Heavyweights than Rupp can nowadays as well. He skates beeter too. Well played Glen (hate to say it but these 3 trades were small but good IMO)

Palmieri i think needs to get called up... remember he does have some NHL ice time with the Devils.. anyone know why he hasnt stayed up in the NHL?? he was a solid prospect for the Devils at one point...when was the last time someone scored their first NHL goal as an empty net goal :amazed:

Nash with a stupid pass..

Punxrocknyc19*

And saves some cap.

Pretty sure Mashinter can hold his own against the nasty Heavyweights than Rupp can nowadays as well.
He skates beeter too. Well played Glen (hate to say it but these 3 trades were small but good IMO)

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
Thomas has picked up his scoring down in CT. Any reason why he can't get a shot instead of calling up guys like Mashinter or those types? He can shoot the puck, might be useful on the power play.

Dangleberry

Feb 21, 2012
Queens, NY
Thomas has picked up his scoring down in CT. Any reason why he can't get a shot instead of calling up guys like Mashinter or those types? He can shoot the puck, might be useful on the power play.

Can he grind along the boards? Does he know how to dump and chase? Block shots?

Punxrocknyc19*

Mashinter here to stay???? does he have to go through waivers to be sent back down??? i believe he does but i am not to sure..

Punxrocknyc19*

I think it's 30 days since he cleared last, so you would be correct on that.

i bet Sather keeps him here if he plays like he did against the Habs...i doubt Sather would risk losing him for nothing. Grant has 2 pts in 13 games since the trade :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad