Player Discussion Joshua Roy

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
They should be on the 4th line while we have them around. Pearson will be off the books for next year. Armia should be traded 50% retained. Same with Dvo.

Keep the top 9 free of the past their expiry date vets. Give the ice time to the youth:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Newhook - Dach - Roy
Ylonen - Monahan - RHP
Gallagher - Evans - Anderson
Pez

Plus Hughes hopefully has a trade or two in the works before training camp.

You want Montreal to use up all their retention spots so they can put together a forward group that bad with no rental market upside in the top 9? That's certainly a... choice.

I hope Hughes is a little bit more creative than that. I'd rather keep Dvorak and trade Evans tbh. Evans probably has at least as much value without retention.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You want Montreal to use up all their retention spots so they can put together a forward group that bad with no rental market upside in the top 9? That's certainly a... choice.

I hope Hughes is a little bit more creative than that. I'd rather keep Dvorak and trade Evans tbh. Evans probably has at least as much value without retention.
I was more blowing steam at watching useless vets so much over the last two seasons. Would be so refreshing not to (Hoffman, Drouin, Dadonov, Pearson, Armia, Gallagher, Anderson is a lot to bear).

But for sure if we can use a retention spot to get a real return (not a 4th or a 5th) that would be a better use. It would have been nice if Hughes signed Tarasenko last year instead of trading for Tanner Pearson.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I was more blowing steam at watching useless vets so much over the last two seasons. Would be so refreshing not to (Hoffman, Drouin, Dadonov, Pearson, Armia, Gallagher, Anderson is a lot to bear).

But for sure if we can use a retention spot to get a real return (not a 4th or a 5th) that would be a better use. It would have been nice if Hughes signed Tarasenko last year instead of trading for Tanner Pearson.

If it makes you feel any better, there is not a fan of any team at any time that does not watch or complain of "useless vets".

Plus, Dvorak hasn't played much and Armia has been decent this year. I'd rather the complaints be directed at vets than the young guys.

And Tarasenko wanted to win and Ottawa was hyped as a team on the rise, he wasn't going to sign in Montreal. Pearson was acquired so Montreal could get a real return for DeSmith and avoid going into the season with 4 goalies that need waivers.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If it makes you feel any better, there is not a fan of any team at any time that does not watch or complain of "useless vets".

Plus, Dvorak hasn't played much and Armia has been decent this year. I'd rather the complaints be directed at vets than the young guys.

And Tarasenko wanted to win and Ottawa was hyped as a team on the rise, he wasn't going to sign in Montreal. Pearson was acquired so Montreal could get a real return for DeSmith and avoid going into the season with 4 goalies that need waivers.

We've had a much larger share than other teams in the last 2 years. We'll see what Hughes does this summer. It was incredible that he got rid of Hoffman in the summer. Though I didn't like bringing in Pearson, he's more palatable than Hoffman.

At least Fall 2025 will be nice when Pearson, Armia, Dvo, and Allen are all off of the books. Then only Gally and Anderson will be the bad contracts, if they haven't been bought out or traded with retention by then.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Misevaluation. Roy is one of the most talented players in the world. Its the sum of his parts that werent great, now hes brouht this up.

He was one of the most talented in Junior but I always questioned the probability of him reproducing it at superior levels. It's not like he has been a point producing machine at Laval. So I think if he has to have a career in the NHL it will have to be as a Monahan-type. And that would be an achievement in itself. That would be great, in fact.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Sorry, but both Monahan and Roy were and are "natural talents". Roy has insane hands, vision and even has a terrific shot which he hasn't displayed so far in the NHL. There's a reason why he was the first overall pick in the Q. Monahan was derailed by injuries, otherwise he was a PPG, first-line center. I agree with you that both are very smart and think the game at a high level. However, I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to say they're not natural talents. Maybe I'm also misinterpreting what you meant. If so, let me know.

They do the basics extremely well but I was thinking as far as comparisons to natural superior hockey machines like the Crosbys, McDavids, Malkins, AO, McKinnon, etc.....

But a better comparison would be Sean Monahan vs Mathew Tkachuk. Sean is smarter but Mat has always produced more. It just comes easier.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
In big games,he's not ready for that.

What big games is the team playing at this point in the season, exactly? The race to draft 14th overall?

With Monahan traded and Dach injured, Roy is one of the only players on the roster outside of the 1st line capable of generating any sort of intelligible aspect of offense.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
The bigger question is what's better for his development.
A) Finishing the season with the Habs playing 12-13 a night
B) Finishing the season with Laval playing 16-18 a night while fighting for the playoffs

I think both have advantages - hopefully our development team choose wisely and development is the driving factor behind our decision.

I'm assuming we need to send him down to Laval at the TDL on paper so he's eligible for the AHL playoffs. Can anyone confirm on that?

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
What big games is the team playing at this point in the season, exactly? The race to draft 14th overall?

With Monahan traded and Dach injured, Roy is one of the only players on the roster outside of the 1st line capable of generating any sort of intelligible aspect of offense.
I suspect what the poster means are games against elite opposition. Against the Panthers, Roy, and some other usual suspects, were largely invisible when the intensity of the game ratcheted up. Whether sending Roy down to Laval will impair or enhance this intriguing prospect’s development is an unknown. What is known, is that he still needs to get better for him to achieve the lofty offensive expectation many hold for him.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
💯 %. The intensity in that Florida game showed Roy that he has alot of steps to take before being ready
Wait to the faithful get a gander at Mailloux playing against elite opposition. I suspect the bloom will quickly come off that rose. Both of our supposedly best prospects in Laval need to take a lot of steps as you say before either is ready.

We really need a strong draft this year as I don’t think our prospect pool is nearly as deep as many here believe or hope. Not nearly.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Wait to the faithful get a gander at Mailloux playing against elite opposition. I suspect the bloom will quickly come off that rose. Both of our supposedly best prospects in Laval need to take a lot of steps as you say before either is ready.

We really need a strong draft this year as I don’t think our prospect pool is nearly as deep as many here believe or hope. Not nearly.
I think it's deep. It's the quality I have to wait and see about, particularly on D. How many of these 12 dmen in the system won't be NHLers in 8 years:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Struble - Barron
Engstrom - Bogdan
Harris - Kovacevic

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think it's deep. It's the quality I have to wait and see about, particularly on D. How many of these 12 dmen in the system won't be NHLers in 8 years:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Struble - Engstrom
Harris - Kovacevic
Trudeau - Bogdan
For sure we have several solid prospects, none near upper tier level though.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
For sure we have several solid prospects, none near upper tier level though.
I'm at least optimistic about the direction of the rebuild. To say we need a good draft this year should be a given, given that we're in year 3 of the rebuild.

On D I consider Guhle, Reinbacher, and Hutson candidates to be top tier. Plus Matheson could be a good NHLer for 8 years. He has his defensive warts. But there is a possibility he corrects some of them, especially with less minutes. Then Xhekaj is looking to have the potential of being Ben Chiarot defensively during our playoff run with even more toughness and offense.

We could have a nice mix with:
Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Reinbacher
Struble - Hutson/Mailloux

At forward, the top 6 I think is in very good starting position if we hit on our 1st at the draft with a forward:
Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
2024 1st - Dach - Newhook/Roy

We should already have a good top 6 with this plus one element of a 3rd line. We have 3 extra 1sts on top of this over the next two years, plus the return in a Savard trade.

But I see this 2024 1st as one of the few opportunities we'll have to land a great forward. That's why the idea of trading Savard has me torn. On the one hand it helps the youth like Xhekaj develop. On the other hand, it could help us slide down to 3rd or 4th overall in this year's draft, which could be much different than 6th, 7th, or 8th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad