Player Discussion Joshua Roy

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Small sample + semi-sheltered and all that, but in 13 games Roy has a 5v5 xGF percentage of almost 64% and a P/60 of 2.14, both of which comfortably lead the Habs.

Its been a while since Montreal has had a player with 5v5 results like that. Roy certainly looks like he can be a long-term piece on this team.

I really like how well rounded his game is. He engages well on the forecheck, he consistently makes smart plays in the neutral zone and he seems to have a decent shot and good vision.

It's funny that they played together before he left because he really reminds me of Monahan. Smart player, great vision and good physique. Not great natural talent but doing all the little things well, very well rounded. I was calling Monahan the hockey player's hockey player. And if Roy can turn into someone like that by gaining more confidence, that would be great.

And I would not mind re-signing Monahan for that very fact, so Roy can continue a sort of apprenticeship under him.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
It's funny that they played together before he left because he really reminds me of Monahan. Smart player, great vision and good physique. Not great natural talent but doing all the little things well, very well rounded. I was calling Monahan the hockey player's hockey player. And if Roy can turn into someone like that by gaining more confidence, that would be great.

And I would not mind re-signing Monahan for that very fact, so Roy can continue a sort of apprenticeship under him.
I'm in on re-signing Monahan. He was class act.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Small sample + semi-sheltered and all that, but in 13 games Roy has a 5v5 xGF percentage of almost 64% and a P/60 of 2.14, both of which comfortably lead the Habs.

Its been a while since Montreal has had a player with 5v5 results like that. Roy certainly looks like he can be a long-term piece on this team.

I really like how well rounded his game is. He engages well on the forecheck, he consistently makes smart plays in the neutral zone and he seems to have a decent shot and good vision.

Sheltered a bit for sure, if anything this shows he’s a great middle six option for next year. If he keeps it up, he should be a lock for next year.

Armia/Anderson-Newhook-Roy is a 3rd line I can get behind for the time being. I would even try Roy-Dach-Newhook as a second line, the talent is there to be a solid secondary scoring threat.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
He’s been one of our best forwards tonight, infact he’s been one of the better ones the last 3 games or so.

Right now he’s adjusting, and you can see the difference in his play. He’s starting to figure out the timing and he’s using his strong base to protect the puck, making some pretty great passes as well.

I’m extremely confident Roy will be a top-6 winger for us as early as next year. Things to work on for sure, but the IQ is elite.
I don't know if I would ever use the word lock though. Look at Latendresse. Obviously weight and conditioning were issues but 30 points as a 19 year old, he seemed like a lock to be a first line power forward and even had that one year at nearly a 40 goal pace after being traded. Benpoo had a much more successful career (and I still have no clue why we didn't qualify him).

Sometimes guys show stuff that you think is their base line and it's actually them outperforming their capabilities. Maybe sometimes their good qualities are being coached out, but I think a lot of guys also just work insanely hard to get into the NHL and then relax once they're in. Like they take conditioning less seriously, offseason training becomes vacations now that they're loaded, etc.

I'm not saying that's what happened with RHP but he's going to have about 2 million in the bank after this current contract combined with half a season last year. He'll also definitely be able to get another one-year one-way deal somewhere in the league if he keeps regressing. 3 mil or so isn't enough to retire, but it's enough to live comfortably and invest wisely. Plus he'd automatically get a big money Laval captaincy deal if he can't be an NHLer.

Again, not saying that's his mindset, just that that is basically what Latendresse did. He worked hard for a couple years, sat most of his contracts out to injury, then retired at 27 (after literally only attempting 10 games outside of the NHL, in Switzerland, likely as a vacation to be honest) and took a job at RDS where he doesn't need to beat up his body at all. His 9 mil USD pre-tax is definitely enough to retire permanently with investments if he wanted to. It's more than 99% of Canadians will earn in a lifetime.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Would any team actually want to do that? I don't see any incentives to it except for having to pay a higher price for him in the future in negotiation if he would have this hardware in his collection.

In his rookie season, Zegras played 24 nhl games and 17 ahl games. Not sure if the Ducks intentionally played him less than 25 nhl games

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't know if I would ever use the word lock though. Look at Latendresse. Obviously weight and conditioning were issues but 30 points as a 19 year old, he seemed like a lock to be a first line power forward and even had that one year at nearly a 40 goal pace after being traded. Benpoo had a much more successful career (and I still have no clue why we didn't qualify him).

Sometimes guys show stuff that you think is their base line and it's actually them outperforming their capabilities. Maybe sometimes their good qualities are being coached out, but I think a lot of guys also just work insanely hard to get into the NHL and then relax once they're in. Like they take conditioning less seriously, offseason training becomes vacations now that they're loaded, etc.

I'm not saying that's what happened with RHP but he's going to have about 2 million in the bank after this current contract combined with half a season last year. He'll also definitely be able to get another one-year one-way deal somewhere in the league if he keeps regressing. 3 mil or so isn't enough to retire, but it's enough to live comfortably and invest wisely. Plus he'd automatically get a big money Laval captaincy deal if he can't be an NHLer.

Again, not saying that's his mindset, just that that is basically what Latendresse did. He worked hard for a couple years, sat most of his contracts out to injury, then retired at 27 (after literally only attempting 10 games outside of the NHL, in Switzerland, likely as a vacation to be honest) and took a job at RDS where he doesn't need to beat up his body at all. His 9 mil USD pre-tax is definitely enough to retire permanently with investments if he wanted to. It's more than 99% of Canadians will earn in a lifetime.
One thing about Latendresse, he had concussion issues. That's what really killed him.

I didn't fully understand that back then and was overly harsh on him. He honestly should've had a much better career. As usual, we rushed him into the league when he wasn't ready.

As for Roy, I'd have preferred he stayed in the AHL for this season but he's done well. He looks like he's ready.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
He’s doing well up here, I don’t see the need to send him down unless he looks like he’s barely surviving, he’s gonna improve at the NHl level. Sure if Laval makes the playoffs he should go, but otherwise he looks like he’s an NHL player at this point

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
It certainly feels like Roy's AHL days are over
So be it, it's not like he didn't get broken in a bit and it's not like he wasn't producing
He's on the 3rd line to start next year

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
One thing about Latendresse, he had concussion issues. That's what really killed him.

I didn't fully understand that back then and was overly harsh on him. He honestly should've had a much better career. As usual, we rushed him into the league when he wasn't ready.

As for Roy, I'd have preferred he stayed in the AHL for this season but he's done well. He looks like he's ready.
I suspect Roy will be underrated for at least a while. He doesn’t have skills that particularly jump out at you. But man, he’s always around the puck and in the action. And he seems to see everything. I’m excited for him. I think he will surprise a lot of people.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I suspect Roy will be underrated for at least a while. He doesn’t have skills that particularly jump out at you. But man, he’s always around the puck and in the action. And he seems to see everything. I’m excited for him. I think he will surprise a lot of people.
I agree and am hopeful that he turns into a top six for us.

Given all his past success, there’s an outside chance of him being a star player. I’m not predicting that but the potential is there.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Monahan has 7 goals in 9 games with Jets. Imagine they will lock him up. Good player.

Considering Winnipeg's future in question, I highly doubt he re-signs there. I would also think we are destination #1 when he hits FA... we just have to be willing to pay him, which I agree, we should. Two younger Righty centers could really use a solid vet Lefy to round out our center depth.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Considering Winnipeg's future in question, I highly doubt he re-signs there. I would also think we are destination #1 when he hits FA... we just have to be willing to pay him, which I agree, we should. Two younger Righty centers could really use a solid vet Lefy to round out our center depth.
Id be willing to sign both him, Toffoli and Corey Perry to surround our prospects. then dump some of the non-performing vets

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I don't understand the comparaison with Toffoli to be honest! They are both slow players with a good IQ hockey but it's the only thing they have in common. Toffoli is purely a finisher who find a way to be at the right place at the right time. On another hand, Roy is guy who can create or finish the play and who can play with the puck! Each time Roy will have a option, he will find it! On PP, I play Toffoli in the bumper role or close to the goal and I play Roy on the board but he will be fantastic has a bumper to make the right play!

For me, he is an hybrid between Ribeiro, he can kill with the puck on his stick if they are an open lane, and Toffoli, who can snipe with the puck on his stick. A poor Luc Robitaille playmaker style can be something he became over the years; a guy who is not sexy and who should not be there but because he understand the game at another level he will find a way to be always on the sheet.

With the team we have at the moment, he should be in your top 6 next year because it's the only one who can play hockey outside of the Fantastic 4 and he should be running the second powerplay unit. He already make others around him look bad versus him and I think he will be good enough to drive the third line by himself in a winning mode; a rough diamond who probably devellop too well to have that use at that time!

I know this kid since he have 10, he came from the city next to me, give this guy a chance to play with the puck and he will make it!
I absolutely agree. Their foot speed is the only similarity, I don’t get the comparison at all.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Many teams want Monahan for leadership he provides to young team. Habs 3-7 without him. A .500 team with Monahan.
Not only that but we have a bunch of young wingers knocking at the door and not enough skilled Cs to go around. We likely draft a forward with the expectation to play top 6 for us very soon, and that leaves one of Newhook or Roy to play third line. It would look a lot better with a guy like Monahan there instead of Dvorak. We also won't need to rush Beck, who needs AHL time and likely 4th line duty after that for a bit.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Many teams want Monahan for leadership he provides to young team. Habs 3-7 without him. A .500 team with Monahan.
He bring more than leadership. Monahan (Healthy) is a elite player in the NHL. After a slow start, he exploded in the last 4 games. He has easily our third or second best player on the team.

Already 6 goals (9gp) vs 13G in 49GP.

2023-24Montreal Canadiens*NHL4913223510-10
2023-24Winnipeg JetsNHL961721

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He bring more than leadership. Monahan (Healthy) is a elite player in the NHL. After a slow start, he exploded in the last 4 games. He has easily our third or second best player on the team.

Already 6 goals (9gp) vs 13G in 49GP.

2023-24Montreal Canadiens*NHL4913223510-10
2023-24Winnipeg JetsNHL961721
It's a trade we shouldn't have made. Team has fell off cliff without him. Even Slaf has regressed. Monahan was his best friend .Now we have little chance to bring him back

• Haha
Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
There’s a reason we were able to secure a first round pick for this fine player. I think it’s amusing to remember some were adamant that we would be lucky to get a second for Monahan and only if we retained.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013

Sorry, but both Monahan and Roy were and are "natural talents". Roy has insane hands, vision and even has a terrific shot which he hasn't displayed so far in the NHL. There's a reason why he was the first overall pick in the Q. Monahan was derailed by injuries, otherwise he was a PPG, first-line center. I agree with you that both are very smart and think the game at a high level. However, I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to say they're not natural talents. Maybe I'm also misinterpreting what you meant. If so, let me know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad