Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Did you read the rest of his post?

"Can Skate." "Play some DECENT hockey."

1d46318db61799cddc1c9b251aaf6c16.png

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I believe (unless corrected) he would still be a RFA next off-season.

As far as my understanding, Rangers would still have his rights, but that does not mean the Rangers would not move them to somewhere maybe he would have a better chance at playing in the NHL, or that they would not allow him to go play in some other non North American league.

I think the Jooris signing is plainly a chance that he can be a decent bottom 6 if not just 4th line center for them with PK, none of the other players competing for spots, or even Gerbe, Grabner have played much if any center in the NHL recently or even in the past 3, 4 years.

Jooris will be an RFA at the end of next season, but the Rangers have to give him a qualifying offer to retain his rights (he's not required to sign obviously). If the deadline (typically 7/15 or so) passes without the player signing, the Rangers retain his rights, but as an RFA he can sign a deal with another team in the NHL and all the Rangers can do is match the offer if they want to keep him.

Don't think a player in this position (as Hrivik is this year) has any trade value, since a team can sign him to an offer sheet without giving up anything.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Why didn't Calgary resign him?
A few reasons.

1) His QO would have been $1,023,750 on a one-way deal.
2) He had arbitration rights.
3) Adding Chiasson and the possible graduation of Hathaway to NHL made him a bit redundant and a slightly lesser option as the other two are more physical.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
If they intended to let him walk, they wouldn't have given him the QO. Though maybe it's Hrivik who intends to sign in Europe.

The organization is just keeping their options open--if they qualify him, then they retain his rights, even if Hrivik doesn't sign the qualifying offer. Gives them the opportunity to match any offer he gets from another NHL team.

Don't really think he's in their plans.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I might be wrong but I recall noticing him and hearing his name mentioned a few times when the Rangers were playing the Flames.

Him, Grabner (and on the outside chance maybe Lindberg when healthy) will fight for a wing spot on the 3rd line with Hayes and Buch.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I like this signing but I still think we have too many 4th line players. Rather have more competition for our top 9 than have 7-8 4th line players.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Important to note that last year was his sophomore season. Sophomore slumps are a real thing. Really like this signing. High energy kid with some actual skill and size. Good on the PK, versatile.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Important to note that last year was his sophomore season. Sophomore slumps are a real thing. Really like this signing. High energy kid with some actual skill and size. Good on the PK, versatile.

does he have size? i always thought of him as a small player?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

Sophomore slump?

He was great last year.

KreiderHouseRules*

Jooris is going to be a fan favorite here.

#86 will be a popular jersey at MSG.

KreiderHouseRules*

Grabner better come to camp in great shape. Otherwise, he's going to have some real competition from Jooris for that 3rd line wing spot.

As I see it now (depth chart):

Kreider Stepan Nash
Miller Zibanejad Zuccarello
_____ Hayes Buchnevich
_____ Lindberg Fast

With Lindberg on IR for a few months, it's more like:

Kreider Stepan Nash
_____ Hayes Buchnevich
_____ _____ Fast

Grabner, Jooris, Jensen, Hrivik, Glass, Gerbe all competing for those 3 spots.

I think NYR expect Grabner to grab the 3rd line spot, with Jooris centering the 4th line until Lindberg returns, leaving either Hrivik, Jensen, or Glass as the fourth line LW.

However, I think Jooris is skilled enough to challenge for that 3LW spot. He brings the energy and effort consistently. If he feels comfortable and confident with the puck, he can really contribute as a secondary/tertiary scorer in the bottom-9.

Jooris-Hayes-Buchnevich has a dynamic yet balanced element to it. A little bit of snarl, some size and playmaking, and Buch as the all-around offensive facilitator.

Now, Grabner-Hayes-Buchnevich has similar appeal, with the speed factor replacing Jooris's grit and energy, although at this point, while Grabner is almost certainly FASTER, I'm not sure Grabner uses his speed as well as Jooris uses his.

Either guy (Jooris / Grabner) will be expected to play the Hagelin role for Hayes: puck retrieval, winning 50-50 battles, jumping into holes, pushing back the D and creating space for Hayes and whoever the RW is (assuming Buch). IMO, Jooris is a better fit for that role, but I'm rooting for Grabner to prove me wrong; that way we'll have two guys adding that much-needed dynamic speed element.

Just wanted to post that Jooris will give Grabner a run for his money in regards to that 3rd line spot.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
for me

i dunno i see lindberg as a winger and trigger man sort of deal. he has a quick release and a good hard deceptive shot. I would like to see him on hayes left wing when he returns and have

grabner Jooris Fast

until forgarty is ready mid year or next year.

Jooris Forgarty Fast
EX grabner

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Kreider Stepan Nash
Buchnevich Hayes Fast
Grabner Lindberg Jooris

That's a fast team, and minutes are distributed well. Roles are defined, good offense and speed. I would even say this forward has a chance to contend with a great defense.

Really a lot of moves need to be made. I'd like to see one forward getting traded along side Nash, and a Staal trade...

Rangers should get an expansion protected piece in return for one of those players. Say a good NHL prospect still in college.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Where is Glass?

You know it's happening.

Also I think Gerbe may surprise, or he may disappoint, but I am not totally counting him out just yet.

Jooris, I like the signing, he hopefully fits right in with all that motor/tenacity I hope/feel they added.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... Gerbe may surprise, or he may disappoint, but I am not totally counting him out just yet.

Not a big Gerbe fan myself, but fact is, he hasnt been nack to minors since spring of '10
If i had to choose, I'd waive him ahead of Jensen, Jooris or Hrivik, but i am not Gorton ..

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Grabner - Jooris - Fast would be a great shutdown line with tons of speed for a transition game. Stick them in front of a Staal and G pairing so that they can just ice the puck whenever they get possession of it and at least one of those forwards will probably beat the opposition 60-70% of the time to negate.

If they sign Vesey, he could then slot in with Hayes and Buch on the 3rd and Gerbe is 13th until Lindberg comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad