Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Not sure why you think this. It isn't case closed by any means. He came in and showed that he will put in the work that's needed to "make" it to the NHL. That's not nearly the same as putting in the work to succeed in the NHL. I am a Ho-Sang fan and I keep an open mind about him, however I just know from those that have strong characters they wouldn't be designing their own skates thinking they will always be able to wear them. They'd be working hard to get to a point where they feel comfortable doing that.

I don't see how this is any different than Kane holding up stacks of money in Vegas. It's the same attitude. We'll see how it plays out but anybody thinking that his immaturity isn't going to rear it's ugly head at any point is out to lunch. I don't think he has character flaws. I do think he's immature though, and that can be outgrown. I don't consider them one and the same.

JHS critics seem to want him to never say anything controversial, never do anything controversial or never wear anything controversial. It is unfair and those are unrealistic expectations, so I don't see why the kid would care what his critics say/ expect at this point. They will find something to complain about.

So long as he works hard to improve as a player and produces on the ice,I will have no problem with his outgoing personality, with his not being an aw shucks sound bite.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

JHS critics seem to want him to never say anything controversial, never do anything controversial or never wear anything controversial. It is unfair and those are unrealistic expectations, so I don't see why the kid would care what his critics say/ expect at this point. They will find something to complain about.

So long as he works hard to improve as a player and produces on the ice,I will have no problem with his outgoing personality, with his not being an aw shucks sound bite.

Ho Sang is such a polarizing kid. If he looked at an ant on the street in Toronto the media or whomever may suspect something is wrong.... Personally for the Isles this is a good thing. If Ho Sang can back up this personality on the NHL ice on a regular basis we have a home grown NHL star in my humble opinion. The flashes he showed last year I have not seen in an Isles prospect since Palffy

were due some luck eh?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Ho Sang is such a polarizing kid. If he looked at an ant on the street in Toronto the media or whomever may suspect something is wrong.... Personally for the Isles this is a good thing. If Ho Sang can back up this personality on the NHL ice on a regular basis we have a home grown NHL star in my humble opinion. The flashes he showed last year I have not seen in an Isles prospect since Palffy

were due some luck eh?

With the disappointing way some of our first rounders have developed under Snow(Bailey,Strome,Reinhart) and seeing Nino developing well for Minn...yeah,we are due a break

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
He will be a key players for this team. Seems to have the right attitude now as he's willing to work on his weaknesses instead of arguing about it with coaches/media. I don't see a Palffy as he was a deadly sniper but more of a Gomez type player

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
he better make the team because frankly the ''young guys'' & new coaching staff are the only reason why I continued with my center ice sub. this season .

someone else better be in the pressbox so beauviller,ho-sang and barzal make the team .

and , its probably just a matter of time before ho-sang says something and the canadian sports media twists it into something useless -hopefully the string of positive things continue to outweigh this .

probably 1 season too early for the flashy skates , ah well.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I'm cautiously optimistic about JHS. I'd be happy with 30+ points out for of him this season. I think his ceiling is like 15-35-50 in the NHL. Elite skill level, but never dominated in junior, can't imagine him dominating in the NHL.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

That's fair, but now we have people at the other end of the spectrum that act like his actions are god-like and he can do no wrong. There is an in between and those who can't admit that he has maturing to do are donning the rose colored glasses way too quickly. His first stint in the NHL seemed to go without a hitch, but it will remain to be seen how he treats it and how it affects his attitude. There isn't much accountability on these boards as things are forgotten quickly, but I'm not going to make early assumptions on JHS until I see another full season under his belt and how he handles it attitude wise.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I'm cautiously optimistic about JHS. I'd be happy with 30+ points out for of him this season. I think his ceiling is like 15-35-50 in the NHL. Elite skill level, but never dominated in junior, can't imagine him dominating in the NHL.
I can easily see a higher ceiling than that. Play him with JT and Lee, he will have more assists than Josh Bailey had last year. The coaches have a bunch of guys who need to shoot more, I hope they are working on that with Barzal also.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

I fully expect what you consider his ceiling this year. He's too good at distributing the puck to not get 30-40 assists this year. I fully expect all his goals to be rebounds/breakaways and the occasional snipe.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Just based on my "eye test" he seemed a step ahead and a bit faster than most competition when he was at the NHL level last year. For all the difficulty this team has with clean zone entries, Ho-Sang looked to be generating them all over the place during his action last year.

Sometimes he held the puck too long or tried to do too much, but he was making "aggressive mistakes" IMO and not playing scared. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I think the sky is the limit and he's going to be a star maybe as soon as next year. Putting him on a line with a finisher like Ladd and watch the secondary scoring roll in.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Call me out on this after the season: I think he'll score 20 and assist to 40.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If he plays close to a full season, I think 6 goals, 36 assists is something we could realistically see.

I'd be surprised if he eclipses the 50 point mark to be honest. With the addition of Eberle, I can't see Ho-Sang getting top line minutes at even strength or the powerplay.

It's not that he doesn't have the talent to put up 50+, I just think the coaching staff is going to ease guys like him and Barzal in offensively to make sure they are doing the right things defensively first.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
If he plays close to a full season, I think 6 goals, 36 assists is something we could realistically see.

I'd be surprised if he eclipses the 50 point mark to be honest. With the addition of Eberle, I can't see Ho-Sang getting top line minutes at even strength or the powerplay.

It's not that he doesn't have the talent to put up 50+, I just think the coaching staff is going to ease guys like him and Barzal in offensively to make sure they are doing the right things defensively first.

All he needs is a finisher on his line. He is one of the few that can find plenty of space 5 on 5.

If the line is Ladd-Nelson-Ho-Sang he has two guys that he can feed all game long. That is why I'm optimistic he can get 50. It's not like he's playing with Bailey and Prince.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I definitely see Ho-Sang on PP1, unless something goes totally awry. Weight was using him for zone entry at the end of the year. Eberle ain't doing that.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I definitely see Ho-Sang on PP1, unless something goes totally awry. Weight was using him for zone entry at the end of the year. Eberle ain't doing that.

Eberle has a better shot though. Leddy is good at zone entries, I would decide between one of them, let Ho-Sang play the point.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I don't see them having JHS Eberle and Pulock all on the same PP unit.

I think Eberle and Ho-Sang will play the same position on different PP's

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The Isles have to find a way to put #66 on the 1st PP. His zone entry is just better than Leddy's and Tavares.

He was the best one on the ice by a mile last year with his zone entry. He goes in with speed and can adjust on the fly. He has a few turnovers but you can live with that because he did have a lot of success most of the time.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
I don't see them having JHS Eberle and Pulock all on the same PP unit.

I think Eberle and Ho-Sang will play the same position on different PP's

i think it might look something like this:
pp1:
lee-tavares-eberle
leddy-jhs
pp2:
ladd-nelson-bailey
de haan-pulock

Local290

Jun 28, 2016
If JHS is on top pp, I'm hoping they take Leddy off of it. Only thing he does well for the pp is zone entry. Otherwise he is a major reason our pp has been so bad. Doesn't have a real shot, and far from a creative passer. It's too predictable because he just goes d to d or keeps it on perimeter.

Also, if Barzal is on the team he has to be on one of the units. He'd probably be the teams best playmaker right now.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
i think it might look something like this:
pp1:
lee-tavares-eberle
leddy-jhs
pp2:
ladd-nelson-bailey
de haan-pulock

Isles wouldn't have a shooter on the point on the top PP unit with that setup. They wouldn't be much of a threat to score from long range, which makes their PP predictable (PK can just protect in-close). Leddy doesn't exactly have a canon and Ho-Sang's more about the pass.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Isles wouldn't have a shooter on the point on the top PP unit with that setup. They wouldn't be much of a threat to score from long range, which makes their PP predictable (PK can just protect in-close). Leddy doesn't exactly have a canon and Ho-Sang's more about the pass.

Finally no more Leafs avatar. Still can't believe you lost that bet, lol. Odds in Vegas would have been like 350-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad