Player Discussion Josh Archibald

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The guy has had a year to think about it as did Keith. A for value, we will not miss Archie at all. We can replace his 3 hits per game easily and anyone can play with mcdavid

I guess we have a difference of opinion in the value of the player to the team, and that’s fine. I would have preferred if he got the jab months ago, but all that matters now is that he gets it, and is ready to go to start the year. We have no idea how he fits in the room. Maybe he’s a great team guy who doesn’t talk politics to the boys. Even though he’s the only one not vaccinated, that doesn’t mean that other teammates don’t somewhat agree with him, or at least we’re indifferent to getting vaccinated, and just got the shot because of their job. If he gets the jab I suspect they welcome him back, and it’s quickly forgotten in the room.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
From Gregor— Josh Archibald wasn’t on the ice with either group. He just got out of a 14-day quarantine and training staff didn’t want to throw him in too quick and risk injury. Once the doctors deem he is ready he could join the team on the ice. He still needs to do his physical as well. So he might not skate tomorrow either. Depends on when he completes his physical.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
And the Spector article that I just read on Sportsnet is why players want to leave Edmonton, not the fans. To publicly shame a guy in that fashion is classless and cruel IMO. If Spector feels like the player is so replaceable why go drag the guy through the mud? Just move one like I’m guessing Holland is going to do if he’s not vaxxed.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
And the Spector article that I just read on Sportsnet is why players want to leave Edmonton, not the fans. To publicly shame a guy in that fashion is classless and cruel IMO. If Spector feels like the player is so replaceable why go drag the guy through the mud? Just move one like I’m guessing Holland is going to do if he’s not vaxxed.

What Archibald is doing is classless. Spector isn’t dragging him through the mud, he’s just taking a picture of Archibald wallowing in his own muck. Archibald doesn’t want to deal with the facts of the COVID pandemic/vaccine, so now he has to deal with the fact that everyone knows he is selfish. That’s the choice he made.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
With all the talk about sending him to Bako... Can his contract not be voided if he cannot play in a ton of games due to a personal decision?? Have to have the vaccinations to travel, can't travel effectively, contract null? I wonder. Likely not...

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
With all the talk about sending him to Bako... Can his contract not be voided if he cannot play in a ton of games due to a personal decision?? Have to have the vaccinations to travel, can't travel effectively, contract null? I wonder. Likely not...
This is an excellent question. My guess is that in order to maintain peace with the NHLPA no team would push this. But I actually think they could terminate his contract if the NHL went with a full mandate. with no outs other than medical exemptions which at this point they have not.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
This is funny. Archibald is a public figure. His irresponsible & idiotic acts impacts the team in a negative way. So of course its reported on negativly by fans and media alike.
So sad that some "fans" think it should be sunshine & lollipops.
And the funniest part is you actually think this response is & would be unique to Edmonton. How laughingly naïve.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
I wonder if it’s being shielded behind a keyboard that makes people so aggressive or are people really that hungry for blood! From want I’m hearing, no one here seems feel like he isn’t easily replaced on the team so why all the hate. Ultimately he’s the one that going to be paying the price for his decision on so many levels. I’m gonna be very interested to see what all the high and mighty on here are going to say when and if he decides to get the jabs..

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I wonder if it’s being shielded behind a keyboard that makes people so aggressive or are people really that hungry for blood! From want I’m hearing, no one here seems feel like he isn’t easily replaced on the team so why all the hate. Ultimately he’s the one that going to be paying the price for his decision on so many levels. I’m gonna be very interested to see what all the high and mighty on here are going to say when and if he decides to get the jabs..
His decision coupled with the Stalock news makes for an incredibly bad look on his part. If he gets vaccinated then good for him.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
If I’m not mistaken, teams now have the ability to suspend players who are unable to play due to decisions regarding COVID.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
If I’m not mistaken, teams now have the ability to suspend players who are unable to play due to decisions regarding COVID.
Yes, and, as Holland alluded to in his press conference, it's not only the player being unavailable to play during the quarantine period; it's how safe is it to let them play right after an extended period of inactivity. We saw this yesterday when Archibald was held off the ice by the medical staff beyond his quarantine period. I imagine NHL teams (like any other management group) are going to follow the letter of the law, but privately be pissed they have to deal with so much uncertainty.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I think it’s just for games / practices / days they can’t participate like quarantining after coming back from the US.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
I have zero problem with his having the opinions he wants to have and expressing them however he wants to. What I care about is the Edmonton Oilers and their absolute dumpster-fire level of team spirit that reigned over the Decade of Darkness and that still hovers over the team like a shadow. If you're just a private citizen and you don't want to get the jab, take the consequences, that's fine. But a player on a major league team is accountable to a lot more than just themselves, their family and their personal freedoms; they are committed to building trust, unity and cohesiveness amongst a group of like 50 people so the team can improve, move forward and be the best it can be. This was a player that could have been run out of town for that boneheaded playoff penalty, but he wasn't, the team stuck up for him and invested in him. And he can't just do this one thing for his teammates, the fans, and the league. So yeah... my concern is for the Edmonton Oilers, who have been given the opportunity for a dynasty but who are currently squandering it because of basic failures of team-building.... anyone who intentionally adds to the list of those failures deserves all the hate he gets.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
His decision coupled with the Stalock news makes for an incredibly bad look on his part. If he gets vaccinated then good for him.
I’m not 100% sure but Stalock got COVID before the van was readily available so I’m not sure that’s a bad look on Archibald. If it is it’s equally a bad look on Mike Smith who had to have his arm twisted to get the van as well.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Ok this is a great post and I agree totally. Like I’ve said elsewhere my wife is Physician and deals with COVID patients daily and your spot on.

The he’s a selfish player and what about McDavid and Draisaitl is garbage. They’ve protected themselves by getting vaccinated. Again the only person who stands to lose as far as the team goes is Archibald.
Yes, they are protected, but Archibald has chosen a path that increases the risk of everyone on the team getting COVID (through him) and will disrupt roster continuity and team functions.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
On the topic of Archibald though. I like the player and I think the team is likely better with him at 4 RW then with a guy like Perlini or whatever. But in reality, the #4 RW isn't winning/losing you games, and the difference between him and Perlini is basically nil. He can go down to the AHL, while likely ending his career in the process, and the team likely won't miss a beat. Seems like an unbelievably stupid move on his part, but whatever, it is his life to ruin I suppose. I'm only concerned with how it affects the team, and I don't see a large effect from him being gone, and the effect of him staying and having to miss games and disrupt the team is significantly higher. So I guess my position is that they should send him to the AHL, or just suspend him outright if that is an option (I don't know if it is or not).

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
Yes, they are protected, but Archibald has chosen a path that increases the risk of everyone on the team getting COVID (through him) and will disrupt roster continuity and team functions.
Ok I conferred with Dr.Wife and she is inclined to agree with you.

I have to be clear that I agree with the fact the people like Archibald and I’ll add Keith and Smith are part of the problem. The difference regardless of there motivation is that Smyth and Keith became part of the solution. I’m just not a fan of Spector tarring and feathering Archibald is all.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
On the topic of Archibald though. I like the player and I think the team is likely better with him at 4 RW then with a guy like Perlini or whatever. But in reality, the #4 RW isn't winning/losing you games, and the difference between him and Perlini is basically nil. He can go down to the AHL, while likely ending his career in the process, and the team likely won't miss a beat. Seems like an unbelievably stupid move on his part, but whatever, it is his life to ruin I suppose. I'm only concerned with how it affects the team, and I don't see a large effect from him being gone, and the effect of him staying and having to miss games and disrupt the team is significantly higher. So I guess my position is that they should send him to the AHL, or just suspend him outright if that is an option (I don't know if it is or not).

I haven’t heard if the AHL is going to have similar Covid restrictions like the NHL has, but assuming they do, the Oilers may prefer to not have the player around the team if he is the only one not eligible for team meals, etc, if they believe his presence is detrimental to team development. If he can’t be traded he may be technically sent down, but in reality just told to go home.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I haven’t heard if the AHL is going to have similar Covid restrictions like the NHL has, but assuming they do, the Oilers may prefer to not have the player around the team if he is the only one not eligible for team meals, etc, if they believe his presence is detrimental to team development. If he can’t be traded he may be technically sent down, but in reality just told to go home.
Bakersfield would have more of US focused schedule that would avoid the significant restrictions related to an unvaccinated person crossing the Canada-US international border. The number of games missed and impact on attending group/team functions would depend on California state and any local regulations about unvaccinated players attending large events.

Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Bakersfield would have more of US focused schedule that would avoid the significant restrictions related to an unvaccinated person crossing the Canada-US international border. The number of games missed and impact on attending group/team functions would depend on California state and any local regulations about unvaccinated players attending large events.

For sure less of a distraction on the border issue, but was curious on the day to day restrictions like NHL players have. Dave Andrews mentioned last week that they were finalizing their protocol, and mentioned it would likely mirror the NHL’s, which I believe for meals, etc it is standard for all teams, and not location based.

Reactions: Frank the Tank
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad