Cut/Released: Jose Bautista (Signed by Mets for some reason)

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The statement itself is a contradiction, but I chose to ignore it and focus on the egregious part. No doubt Bautista's homer was huge but it doesn't even sniff Joe Carter off Mitch Williams from his own franchise, let alone mlb history.

But he didn't say that. He said it was one of the best playoff Blue Jay moments... which it easily is. Then added that maybe it's one of the greatest postseason moments in general. You can debate that if you want. Given that it capped off what is possibly the craziest inning of baseball to ever happen and it was a late inning homerun in a winner take all game you can at least make an argument that it is up there. It is one that people will certainly remember well for just about forever. I guess it's all about perspective but if people are going to call Jeter's flip legendary then I don't know how you don't put the bat flip up there as a completely iconic postseason moment. I think it's pretty obvious you overreacted when no one made the claim it was the greatest moment of all time in franchise history or in general.

Are people really not reading the qualifier of 'one of'? Maybe you disagree with that assessment. Fine. But without context it's pretty stupid to be debating this at this level. Does one of the best ever mean top 10? Top 100? Let's just chill. It was an amazing baseball moment. If you can't agree on that then you probably don't like baseball very much.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
But he didn't say that. He said it was one of the best playoff Blue Jay moments... which it easily is. Then added that maybe it's one of the greatest postseason moments in general. You can debate that if you want. Given that it capped off what is possibly the craziest inning of baseball to ever happen and it was a late inning homerun in a winner take all game you can at least make an argument that it is up there. It is one that people will certainly remember well for just about forever. I guess it's all about perspective but if people are going to call Jeter's flip legendary then I don't know how you don't put the bat flip up there as a completely iconic postseason moment. I think it's pretty obvious you overreacted when no one made the claim it was the greatest moment of all time in franchise history or in general.

Are people really not reading the qualifier of 'one of'? Maybe you disagree with that assessment. Fine. But without context it's pretty stupid to be debating this at this level. Does one of the best ever mean top 10? Top 100? Let's just chill. It was an amazing baseball moment. If you can't agree on that then you probably don't like baseball very much.
Your fanboyism knows no bounds.

Bautista's hr is in no way the best playoff moment ever. I'm not going to play your stupid little game just because you fail to concede an argument. I didn't misread anything. He said one of the best playoff moments in history and I disagreed.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Gonzalez walk off against Rivera in game 7 of the ws.

Gibson walk off on Eck in game 1 of the 88 ws.

Madbum winning 2 starts then picking up a 5 inning save in game 7 vs kc.

Spiezio off Rodriguez to start the comeback in game 6 in 2003.

Rajai's game tying hr off Aroldis Chapman.

Hell even Ishiikawa's walk off hr to send Sf to the world series was a better moment than Bautista's hr.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
The statement itself is a contradiction, but I chose to ignore it and focus on the egregious part. No doubt Bautista's homer was huge but it doesn't even sniff Joe Carter off Mitch Williams from his own franchise, let alone mlb history.
Of course that won a World Series. He said one of though so I'm assuming he realizes this. The second is likely Roberto Alomars homerun or Jose Bautistas. I'd argue Robertos since that started the Jays dominance.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Of course that won a World Series. He said one of though so I'm assuming he realizes this. The second is likely Roberto Alomars homerun or Jose Bautistas. I'd argue Robertos since that started the Jays dominance.
Bautista's was great for a few reasons. The rivalry they had going that year was insane with the fight and all the talking after. The homer capped a crazy inning and a reverse sweep.

Where it loses points is the fact they did nothing with it. But a top franchise moment, for sure

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Your fanboyism knows no bounds.

Bautista's hr is in no way the best playoff moment ever. I'm not going to play your stupid little game just because you fail to concede an argument. I didn't misread anything. He said one of the best playoff moments in history and I disagreed.

But no one said it was the best ever. Like nowhere at all did anyone claim this. Ok, you're right. It was a dogshit moment in time that doesn't even deserve a YouTube clip. I guess in your opinion if it's not top 3 then it might as well be nothing. Like maybe he holds it in higher esteem than you do, what's the big deal. Is a subjective thing. I'm sorry the bat flip had caused you so much hatred and displeasure in your life.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
But no one said it was the best ever. Like nowhere at all did anyone claim this. Ok, you're right. It was a dog**** moment in time that doesn't even deserve a YouTube clip. I guess in your opinion if it's not top 3 then it might as well be nothing. Like maybe he holds it in higher esteem than you do, what's the big deal. Is a subjective thing. I'm sorry the bat flip had caused you so much hardha and displeasure in your life.
I hate the Rangers. I enjoyed Toronto winning.

The point of message boards is argue subjective statements. Just because it involves your favorite team doesn't mean I can't say what I want to.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Bautista's was great for a few reasons. The rivalry they had going that year was insane with the fight and all the talking after. The homer capped a crazy inning and a reverse sweep.

Where it loses points is the fact they did nothing with it. But a top franchise moment, for sure

The fight was the year after... It was because of the batflip

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I hate the Rangers. I enjoyed Toronto winning.

The point of message boards is argue subjective statements. Just because it involves your favorite team doesn't mean I can't say what I want to.

But you're just arguing for the sake of arguing without any context. He didn't say most important moments. He didn't say top 5 or 10. His idea of best can be completely different than yours and that's ok but you're trying to disprove something that was never claimed.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
"one of the best moments in playoff history" = top 50? hahaha

it's a great moment in blue jays history. not in MLB playoff history

[MOD] I just threw top 50 out as a random qualifier since there was literally no context but if you don't think that is meaningful in a sport that is well over 150 years old then i guess that is your problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
pretty funny seeing how worked up you get over people disagreeing

just a heads up, this is an internet forum

I've got no problem with people disagreeing with me. I wouldn't put Bautista's bat flip in the top 10 or 20 greatest playoff moments of all time. I haven't really thought where I'd rank it. It's memorable, that's for sure. All I was doing was taking issue with you two ganging up on a guy for saying something he didn't even say.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I didn’t think he did that poorly with the Braves just wasn’t a fit. Nothing lost or gained same with the Mets taking a chance on it.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
[MOD] I just threw top 50 out as a random qualifier since there was literally no context but if you don't think that is meaningful in a sport that is well over 150 years old then i guess that is your problem.
As a rule, it’s important to remember that great moments in playoff history don’t happen in a divisional series.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
As a rule, it’s important to remember that great moments in playoff history don’t happen in a divisional series.

Tell that to everyone who idolizes this play then...

I'm not saying I don't agree with you in that a great WS moment is clearly more important than a great DS or CS moment due to importance but to say that greatness doesn't exist in the DS is pretty dumb. I guess Halladay's no hitter would rank somewhere between Lorenzo Cain flying out in the 3rd inning of game 1 of the 2015 WS and the singing of take me out to the ball game during the 7th inning stretch.

Of course you could be joking but until I have hard evidence of it, I'll leave this as my post.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Tell that to everyone who idolizes this play then...

I'm not saying I don't agree with you in that a great WS moment is clearly more important than a great DS or CS moment due to importance but to say that greatness doesn't exist in the DS is pretty dumb. I guess Halladay's no hitter would rank somewhere between Lorenzo Cain flying out in the 3rd inning of game 1 of the 2015 WS and the singing of take me out to the ball game during the 7th inning stretch.

Of course you could be joking but until I have hard evidence of it, I'll leave this as my post.

There are exceptions for moments like that since those teams either went to the World Series or won the World Series. I’d argue that Ivan Rodriguez holding onto the baseball after JT Snow collided with him at home plate to advance to the 2003 NLCS is a great moment in playoff history because it was part of their championship run. What you’re arguing about Bautista’s home run is if I argued that Juan Uribe’s go-ahead home run in Game 4 of the 2013 NLDS was a great moment in baseball playoff history. They both got bounced in the next round and thus the gravity of the accomplishment is not so profound.

By the way, when you call a moment “one of the greatest,” you’re putting it in elite company. Top 5 or 10, not 50. Bill Mazeroski’s home run in the 1960 World Series, Willie Mays’ over the shoulder catch in ‘54, Don Larsen’s perfect game in ‘56, Christy Mathewson’s three complete game shutouts in the 5-game 1905 World Series: those are examples of some of the best moments in baseball playoff history.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
There are exceptions for moments like that since those teams either went to the World Series or won the World Series. I’d argue that Ivan Rodriguez holding onto the baseball after JT Snow collided with him at home plate to advance to the 2003 NLCS is a great moment in playoff history because it was part of their championship run. What you’re arguing about Bautista’s home run is if I argued that Juan Uribe’s go-ahead home run in Game 4 of the 2013 NLDS was a great moment in baseball playoff history. They both got bounced in the next round and thus the gravity of the accomplishment is not so profound.

By the way, when you call a moment “one of the greatest,” you’re putting it in elite company. Top 5 or 10, not 50. Bill Mazeroski’s home run in the 1960 World Series, Willie Mays’ over the shoulder catch in ‘54, Don Larsen’s perfect game in ‘56, Christy Mathewson’s three complete game shutouts in the 5-game 1905 World Series: those are examples of some of the best moments in baseball playoff history.

So you're gonna just glaze over the the Hallday no hitter and change the goal posts on the argument.

Ok, so what about these examples...

Well... umm... yeah, if the team makes it to the world series but doesn't win then that would count.

I completely agree that the bat flip is somewhat diminished due to the Jays losing out in the next round but it is still a great moment in mlb playoff history. It was the game winning HR in a do or die game that capped off quite possibly the most insane inning of baseball ever played. Because it happened in the DS and the Jays didn't advance to the WS it doesn't hold the same importance as something like the Pudge play you mentioned but in a vacuum of being an "amazing playoff moment" it is certainly worthy of that title.

How about we say that maybe 'greatest' isn't the best word to describe it when in comparison to other plays that hold more importance. However as just a stand alone moment in playoff history it is pretty damn great.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I don't see how them losing the next round tarnishes the play. It was still a huge moment that was all over the sports world.

Then the Goins/Bautista pop up happens in the CS..

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I don't see how them losing the next round tarnishes the play. It was still a huge moment that was all over the sports world.

Then the Goins/Bautista pop up happens in the CS..

I still blame that Mose-looking kid who reached over the railing.

upload_2018-5-28_14-59-22.jpeg

:banghead:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad