CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
The gap between Lebron and Jordan is a HOF career:

1x MVP
2x Finals MVP
9x scoring titles
4x 1st team all defense
1x DPOY

and that's with Lebron playing what? 5-6 full seasons MORE than Jordan? Imagine what he does if he never retires in his prime or after 98... we can never say for sure but I'd bet on the GOAT just increasing those totals a bit

Or just imagine for fun instead of coming back to a terrible Wizards team as more of a business decision he decides to ring chase and picks his spots in free agency lol...Jordan to the Lakers with Shaq or Spurs lol

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Based on what? Your opinion? :laugh:
It shouldn't be particularly contentious that Pippen and Rodman were better defenders than Jordan was.

Regarding MVPs, both Jordan and James were robbed so many times. I wouldn't put too much stock in it. Each was the best player in the NBA way more often than they received the MVP trophy.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
He didn't though, but instead went to play baseball with very limited success (respect for trying though) and later after his second retirement had a rather sad comeback with the Wizards. Both of those episodes work more against than for him even if hypothetically he would have had enough left in the tank for something different.
Jordan didn't play for the wizzards to be great again. His goal was to help them make the playoffs which is what he said. At the time he was also looking to invest in an NBA team.

I know I'll get piled on here, but I voted for Lebron. MJ was the better scorer, but Lebron is a better all around player who's now also the all time scorer. But what puts Lebron over the top for me is his unparallel longevity. Similar to Brady, he has played at a high level for 2 decades, in addition to having an all time great peak.

I think there is a lot of revisionism about the 90's NBA. I watched it as a kid, and it was a watered down era due to overexpansion. So Lebron doing better in a harder era is another thing I factor in. I'm not one of those fans who says all current athletes are better than past ones, as off the top of my head I'd still probably have the 80's as the strongest NBA decade.
But in today's NBA you have teams with multiple superstars ring chasing. That leaves ove half the league with no real superstars. Good players getting shots that make them Allstars and Allstars being crowned Superstars.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Whatever side of the argument you fall on, I think we can all agree, the catchiest song written about either of them goes to Jordan. AINEC!

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
If this thread was in the hockey polls it would be closed for a landslide.

Nobody ever disputes Lebron's greatness but he just isn't the GOAT...and that's ok, I guess it just some real loud Lebron fans trying to keep it alive

Reactions: Voight

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I'm tired of this debate but here is the answer

There is no GOAT

It's hard to compare eras, different set of rules, paces

And also it's a team sport, so context matters : team, quality of your opponents, coaches, etc ....

And the ringz argument is dumb and lazy

Just appreciate greatness

You can enjoy Kareem, Magic, Bird, Zeke, Duncan , Olajuwon, Lebron, Steph, Jordan, etc.......

But if I was forced to give an answer, purely as basketball players, I think I would go with Lebron, he s the better basketball player imo

But again, it's not an individual sport, it's a team sport; leave this stupid debate to the ESPN talking heads and Nike's propaganda machine

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Not sure anyone is in the hall of fame for losing in the finals the most though. lol

I'm tiring of the "rings or GTFO" mentality though. Some of the best years of HOFers in their prime are them not winning rings. Malone in 98 or Barkley in 93 or Jordan in 89 or LeBron in 07.

Like Jordan in 89-90 playoffs averaged 5 more points, 2 more assists, 1.2 more steals, shot 6% higher from the field, 13% higher from 3 than he did in 96-97 when they beat a lesser Jazz team than the next year and a Heat team that could only be described as not one of the best of all time. In 89-90 they lost to the Pistons who were not only 2nd ranked in the league in defense, but UNDEFEATED in the playoffs outside of that series. I'm more impressed with Jordan almost carrying his team past the Pistons by himself (the next best scorer that series was Craig Hodges with 12 points/game compared to Jordan's 30) than I am with Jordan's lesser output beating clearly less great teams in 96-97 with more help around him. Pippen in the 97 Finals averged 20/8/4 and was a lockdown defender.

LeBron in 07 going against the Pistons (who were in the midst of a 6-year run of making the Eastern Conference Finals) who were 2nd in team defense with Prince as an elite wing defender and Big Ben as an elite rim defender. LeBron averaging 26/9/9 with the next best scorer being Booby Gibson at 13 points/game. Averaging 46 minutes a game in that series. Then going on to lose against the Spurs who were still in their dynasty era and the 1st ranked defense in the league. With Drew Gooden being the next leading scorer in the Finals with 12.8 points/game. Then almost a decade later leading a team with the supporting cast of Matthew Dellavedova and Timofey Mozgov taking the Warriors to 6 games in the Finals. Which to me is way more impressive than the year that he had Wade and Bosh and beat OKC in a year that they were clearly the best team in the league.

I feel like people tend to sleep on some Herculean efforts of great players just because they didn't win it all. Winning as the favorites is easier than trying to beat the best team in the league with a flawed supporting cast. Which is why people are way more critical of LeBron losing the 2011 Finals than the 2015 Finals, which is fair.

But to be fair, Jordan is still the GOAT and I still have Kareem over LeBron currently. To me, LeBron losing to the dynasty Spurs or the dynasty Warriors is the same as Jordan losing to the dynasty Celtics or the mini-dynasty Pistons. Losing to the best team in the league is losing to the best team in the league, whether it's 1st round or conference finals or Finals.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I'm tiring of the "rings or GTFO" mentality though. Some of the best years of HOFers in their prime are them not winning rings. Malone in 98 or Barkley in 93 or Jordan in 89 or LeBron in 07.

Like Jordan in 89-90 playoffs averaged 5 more points, 2 more assists, 1.2 more steals, shot 6% higher from the field, 13% higher from 3 than he did in 96-97 when they beat a lesser Jazz team than the next year and a Heat team that could only be described as not one of the best of all time. In 89-90 they lost to the Pistons who were not only 2nd ranked in the league in defense, but UNDEFEATED in the playoffs outside of that series. I'm more impressed with Jordan almost carrying his team past the Pistons by himself (the next best scorer that series was Craig Hodges with 12 points/game compared to Jordan's 30) than I am with Jordan's lesser output beating clearly less great teams in 96-97 with more help around him. Pippen in the 97 Finals averged 20/8/4 and was a lockdown defender.

LeBron in 07 going against the Pistons (who were in the midst of a 6-year run of making the Eastern Conference Finals) who were 2nd in team defense with Prince as an elite wing defender and Big Ben as an elite rim defender. LeBron averaging 26/9/9 with the next best scorer being Booby Gibson at 13 points/game. Averaging 46 minutes a game in that series. Then going on to lose against the Spurs who were still in their dynasty era and the 1st ranked defense in the league. With Drew Gooden being the next leading scorer in the Finals with 12.8 points/game. Then almost a decade later leading a team with the supporting cast of Matthew Dellavedova and Timofey Mozgov taking the Warriors to 6 games in the Finals. Which to me is way more impressive than the year that he had Wade and Bosh and beat OKC in a year that they were clearly the best team in the league.

I feel like people tend to sleep on some Herculean efforts of great players just because they didn't win it all. Winning as the favorites is easier than trying to beat the best team in the league with a flawed supporting cast. Which is why people are way more critical of LeBron losing the 2011 Finals than the 2015 Finals, which is fair.

But to be fair, Jordan is still the GOAT and I still have Kareem over LeBron currently. To me, LeBron losing to the dynasty Spurs or the dynasty Warriors is the same as Jordan losing to the dynasty Celtics or the mini-dynasty Pistons. Losing to the best team in the league is losing to the best team in the league, whether it's 1st round or conference finals or Finals.
Jordan losing to the Dynasty Celtics is different than Lebron losing to the Dynasty spurs or Warriors. Jordan was young and had never made the finals yet. Lebron was in arguably the worst conference in the last 30 years and made it to the finals before he was ready to win. It was only his second year making the playoffs. After Jordan won the Bulls had targets on their back and they never lost in the Finals. They became a dynasty and prevented so many great players from winning a championship. Before Lebron players chased rings at the end of their careers or not at all. Lebron did it before his prime. He was 25 when he signed with Miami. Also the are no indications that Jordan had control of the roster. Lebron hurt his career in doing so. Lebron acted like a spoiled kid who deserved more than what he earned and he is still like that until today. That's why he is not the GOAT. Lebron always joined other great players, they never came to him. In my opinion Lebron takes too much air out of the offense and makes people stand around than rely on his teammates in a structured game plan. This is why he gets the players he wants and the coaches he wants.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Jordan losing to the Dynasty Celtics is different than Lebron losing to the Dynasty spurs or Warriors. Jordan was young and had never made the finals yet. Lebron was in arguably the worst conference in the last 30 years and made it to the finals before he was ready to win. It was only his second year making the playoffs. After Jordan won the Bulls had targets on their back and they never lost in the Finals. They became a dynasty and prevented so many great players from winning a championship. Before Lebron players chased rings at the end of their careers or not at all. Lebron did it before his prime. He was 25 when he signed with Miami. Also the are no indications that Jordan had control of the roster. Lebron hurt his career in doing so. Lebron acted like a spoiled kid who deserved more than what he earned and he is still like that until today. That's why he is not the GOAT. Lebron always joined other great players, they never came to him. In my opinion Lebron takes too much air out of the offense and makes people stand around than rely on his teammates in a structured game plan. This is why he gets the players he wants and the coaches he wants.

First off, I'm not making any LeBron GOAT argument. I think he's behind Kareem at #3.

Secondly, I feel like people get weirdly attached in these arguments. I'm merely saying that LeBron losing to the Spurs in the midst of their dynasty run at 22 is similar to Jordan losing to the Celtics in the midst of their dynasty run at 23. It's similar. I'm not gonna give Jordan super special bonus points for not making the Finals, nor am I gonna take super special bonus points from LeBron for not winning the Finals. There's no question that the Heat and the 2nd run Cavs teams were stacked (when healthy.) The Bulls were also the favorites for their 2nd three-peat. The Cavs weren't favorites against the KD Warriors. That's my point in being the favorite and winning versus trying to beat the best team in the league. Jordan lost to the Pistons at 27, smack dab in the middle of his prime. The Pistons team that swept both the Celtics and the Lakers that year. I don't think any team that MJ won a Finals or ECF from that point forward was better than that Pistons team. Though again the Jazz and Suns had very, very good teams in 93/98.

On the case of players never coming to him, AD seemed to force his way to LA. If he just wanted guys to stand around, why did he join up with the best slasher in the game who also didn't shoot 3s much? Like there's plenty of real reasons to detract from LeBron. Him being a defacto GM is a valid one. He sank the Cavs by having them sign Tristan and JR and bouncing. Him not playing defense for the last 5 or 6 seasons is also one.

MJ is my GOAT, but I'm not gonna bend over backwards to not be critical at all of him.

Reactions: Voight

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I will fully admit I was a bit too young especially for Jordan's early career and even with him running my Hornets into the ground year after year as owner, there's still just a mystique around him that's not there with LeBron. Does that alone mean he's the better player? No but there are plenty of stats people have already pointed out that help his cause. But no shame in being 2nd to Jordan and being in the conservation as best of all time for LeBron.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
The problem I have with people criticizing Lebron (and Durant too for that matter) for ring chasing is not recognizing it as a symptom of a rings obsessed NBA culture. Ring counting, often without any context, is often a major part (sometimes even the main part) of what a player's legacy is. Not saying this is you, but for the fans who obsess over how many rings players have then criticizing players for putting themselves in easier situations to win rings can't have it both ways. I was hoping people would think harder about how ludicrous ring culture is after Durant signed with the Warriors, but it lives on.

The implication I get from people criticizing players for ring chasing is they're cheating in the rings race and taking shortcuts. But saying that implies the race was fair to start to begin with, when in reality some superstars get head starts over others based on where they were drafted. For example, Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan are lauded as great champions today and ranked high as a result, despite them getting MASSIVE head starts from the situations they got drafted into. Yet nobody cared about that, and people simply ring counted for them.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The problem I have with people criticizing Lebron (and Durant too for that matter) for ring chasing is not recognizing it as a symptom of a rings obsessed NBA culture. Ring counting, often without any context, is often a major part (sometimes even the main part) of what a player's legacy is. Not saying this is you, but for the fans who obsess over how many rings players have then criticizing players for putting themselves in easier situations to win rings can't have it both ways. I was hoping people would think harder about how ludicrous ring culture is after Durant signed with the Warriors, but it lives on.

The implication I get from people criticizing players for ring chasing is they're cheating in the rings race and taking shortcuts. But saying that implies the race was fair to start to begin with, when in reality some superstars get head starts over others based on where they were drafted. For example, Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan are lauded as great champions today and ranked high as a result, despite them getting MASSIVE head starts from the situations they got drafted into. Yet nobody cared about that, and people simply ring counted for them.
We are comparing Lebron and Jordan. I agree players get drafted into more advantageous places than others. Jordan Got drafted by a bad team and went through tough loses and learned how to be the best. He beat great championship calibre teams but had to learn how to lose first. Lebron got drafted in a similar situation but because he was Cleveland's chosen one he got preferential treatment which hurt his career early on and continued up until today. People fail to see what a player goes through to become great. Lebron for what its worth is an all time great player. It's just he had the opportunity to work the system like no other before him and managed to skip the part on becoming great enough to manage it as a leader on his own team. All the greats were part of a Dynasty as in continued success for years. For Lebron as soon as it was not financially good or he couldn't stack the deck anymore he would leave his team to go somewhere else where they were willing to bow to him and stack a team for him. It happened in Miami, not enough stacking back in Cleveland, and a pretty bad attempt in LA, but they still tried. I still remember Lebron coming out in the media and saying we need to add in order to beat Golden State. In that off season rumors were swirling around about how he wanted Carmelo Anthony. What did Golden State do, they added KD. My comparisons have nothing to do with rings. Lebron could finish with more than Jordan but in my books he was not as great as Jordan. Jordan was the most exciting player to every watch play basketball and was the most dominant. Passing stats at the end of your career only makes you seem better to people who only look at stats. For people who watch basketball there is no comparison.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
We are comparing Lebron and Jordan. I agree players get drafted into more advantageous places than others. Jordan Got drafted by a bad team and went through tough loses and learned how to be the best. He beat great championship calibre teams but had to learn how to lose first. Lebron got drafted in a similar situation but because he was Cleveland's chosen one he got preferential treatment which hurt his career early on and continued up until today. People fail to see what a player goes through to become great. Lebron for what its worth is an all time great player. It's just he had the opportunity to work the system like no other before him and managed to skip the part on becoming great enough to manage it as a leader on his own team. All the greats were part of a Dynasty as in continued success for years. For Lebron as soon as it was not financially good or he couldn't stack the deck anymore he would leave his team to go somewhere else where they were willing to bow to him and stack a team for him. It happened in Miami, not enough stacking back in Cleveland, and a pretty bad attempt in LA, but they still tried. I still remember Lebron coming out in the media and saying we need to add in order to beat Golden State. In that off season rumors were swirling around about how he wanted Carmelo Anthony. What did Golden State do, they added KD. My comparisons have nothing to do with rings. Lebron could finish with more than Jordan but in my books he was not as great as Jordan. Jordan was the most exciting player to every watch play basketball and was the most dominant. Passing stats at the end of your career only makes you seem better to people who only look at stats. For people who watch basketball there is no comparison.
LeBron was actually hurt by being so good at such a young age. He joined the worst team in the league, but made such a substantial immediate impact that the Cavs became too good too quickly to acquire any other high picks. He should have been more like MJ: be not as good at basketball so your team can stock up and draft another all star and another HOFer.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
We are comparing Lebron and Jordan. I agree players get drafted into more advantageous places than others. Jordan Got drafted by a bad team and went through tough loses and learned how to be the best. He beat great championship calibre teams but had to learn how to lose first. Lebron got drafted in a similar situation but because he was Cleveland's chosen one he got preferential treatment which hurt his career early on and continued up until today. People fail to see what a player goes through to become great. Lebron for what its worth is an all time great player. It's just he had the opportunity to work the system like no other before him and managed to skip the part on becoming great enough to manage it as a leader on his own team. All the greats were part of a Dynasty as in continued success for years. For Lebron as soon as it was not financially good or he couldn't stack the deck anymore he would leave his team to go somewhere else where they were willing to bow to him and stack a team for him. It happened in Miami, not enough stacking back in Cleveland, and a pretty bad attempt in LA, but they still tried. I still remember Lebron coming out in the media and saying we need to add in order to beat Golden State. In that off season rumors were swirling around about how he wanted Carmelo Anthony. What did Golden State do, they added KD.
I actually agree that Lebron's situation wasn't that much worse than MJ's. For Lebron, I think him being in a harder situation is much more pronounced when compared to Kobe, which was a long held debate for awhile, but now the general consensus is Kobe is at minimum a tier below Lebron and MJ.

Despite voting for Lebron, I do think the narrative of MJ having the teammates advantage between the 2 is highly overblown, and don't think it gave Jordan an advantage in winning rings when looking at the timeline. Lebron went to Miami at 25, and from that age forward for both players, their teammate situation was more or less equal. I bring this up because Jordan didn't win his first title until he was 28, so it wasn't like he started his career in the great situations Kobe and Duncan were drafted into, where they each had 3 titles before 28 as a result. In fact, Lebron won his first title at 27, one year younger, and considering he was mostly on even footing teammates wise and had better longevity, you can't say he had less opportunities than Jordan.

Where things were harder for Lebron though is he played in a tougher league, as the 2010's were definitely a harder decade competition wise than the 90's (going on how strong the league was after they each won their first title). The Spurs and Warriors are a cut above any team the Bulls dynasty faced. The other great team could've been the Shaq/Penny Orlando team who was the only team to beat MJ after 1991, but Shaq leaving and Penny getting hurt put a premature end to them. The 90's had great players, but the watered down league made it harder to built great teams. As I said upthread, the 1994 Bulls winning 55 games without MJ was less about them being a great supporting cast for MJ and more about the NBA being diluted at the time due to overexpansion.
My comparisons have nothing to do with rings. Lebron could finish with more than Jordan but in my books he was not as great as Jordan. Jordan was the most exciting player to every watch play basketball and was the most dominant. Passing stats at the end of your career only makes you seem better to people who only look at stats. For people who watch basketball there is no comparison.
When it comes to scoring Jordan was definitely better. Lebron passing him is more a function of his longevity than actually being a better scorer than MJ. I chose Lebron in spite of how they compare as scorers, not because of.

LeBron was actually hurt by being so good at such a young age. He joined the worst team in the league, but made such a substantial immediate impact that the Cavs became too good too quickly to acquire any other high picks. He should have been more like MJ: be not as good at basketball so your team can stock up and draft another all star and another HOFer.
One of the biggest ironies of him leaving Cleveland for Miami is that led to the Cavs completely bottoming out and being able to use their ensuing draft capital to give Lebron a much better supporting cast in his 2nd stint than his first. Had he stayed with Cleveland in 2010 there's a chance he never gets the supporting cast needed to win a title there.

Last edited:
Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

The team that drafted Jordan was the 3rd worst. In Jordan's first season he led them to the playoffs. How does that give you a high draft pick? Lebron missed the playoffs his first 2 seasons. That definitely gives you better draft picks. The year Pippen was drafted the Bulls traded up to get him at 5 from 8th.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I actually agree with Lebron's situation wasn't that much worse than MJ's. For Lebron, I think him being in a harder situation is much more pronounced when compared to Kobe, which was a long held debate for awhile, but now the general consensus is Kobe is at minimum a tier below Lebron and MJ.

Despite voting for Lebron, I do think the narrative of MJ having the teammates advantage between the 2 is highly overblown, and don't think it gave Jordan an advantage in winning rings when looking at the timeline. Lebron went to Miami at 25, and from that age forward for both players, their teammate situation was more or less equal. I bring this up because Jordan didn't win his first title until he was 28, so it wasn't like he started his career in the great situations Kobe and Duncan were drafted into, where they each had 3 titles before 28 as a result. In fact, Lebron won his first title at 27, one year younger, and considering he was mostly on even footing teammates wise and had better longevity, you can't say he had less opportunities than Jordan.

Where things were harder for Lebron though is he played in a tougher league, as the 2010's were definitely a harder decade competition wise than the 90's (going on how strong the league was after they each won their first title). The Spurs and Warriors are a cut above any team the Bulls dynasty faced. The other great team could've been the Shaq/Penny Orlando team who was the only team to beat MJ after 1991, but Shaq leaving and Penny getting hurt put a premature end to them. The 90's had great players, but the watered down league made it harder to built great teams. As I said upthread, the 1994 Bulls winning 55 games without MJ was less about them being a great supporting cast for MJ and more about the NBA being diluted at the time due to overexpansion.

When it comes to scoring Jordan was definitely better. Lebron passing him is more a function of his longevity than actually being a better scorer than MJ. I chose Lebron in spite of how they compare as scorers, not because of.

One of the biggest ironies of him leaving Cleveland for Miami is that led to the Cavs completely bottoming out and being able to use their ensuing draft capital to give Lebron a much better supporting cast in his 2nd stint than his first. Had he stayed with Cleveland in 2010 there's a chance he never gets the supporting cast needed to win a title there.
I had a well thought out rebuttal but it got deleted due to hitting the back button on my mouse.

The year Kawhi left Toronto the raptors won 5 less games. The reason for the bulls success when jordan left was not because of a watered down league but because the team chemistry was still there despite not having Jordan. Watered down league means there are teams the rest of the league take advantage of. It's not like teams are losing any of their top 7 players to expansion. That's not a plausible argument.

The competition for Lebron was harder because he was not part of a dynasty. The Bulls beat everyone preventing that. Different era different rules. The Spurs and the Warriors never played a team like the bulls either. In Between the Bulls 3 peats Houston won back to backs. Was that because of a watered down league?

With hat being said, Had Jordan had the same influence on team decisions as lebron (the Chosen1) James did maybe the bulls never trade Oakley, sign Rodman, or fire Collins.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad